What’s your favorite mid sized saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would consider a 70cc my big saw if I had one. My favorite mid-sized saw would be my 346xp but would like it better if it had a de-comp on it like my 353 does...
I recently weighed my Husky 353 and my Stihl 026 PRO, both with about the same power and bar size. The 353 is six ounces lighter. I usually flip a coin when it's time to cut firewood, heads for the Husky and tails for the Stihl. On occasion, I take them both to the field.

I recently weighed my Husky 353 and my Stihl 026 PRO, both with about the same power and bar size. The 353 is six ounces lighter. I usually flip a coin when it's time to cut firewood, heads for the Husky and tails for the Stihl. On occasion, I take them both to the field.

What was the weight fully dressed ready to go?

What was the weight fully dressed ready to go?
I recall it was 15 lb for the Stihl, 14 lb 10 ounces for the Husky. The Stihl bar weighs a tad more, so the PHO weight would be a bit closer. My experience has been that the Husky 353 gets a little better fuel economy, which is another plus.

Oh boy, that's a tough one, i like them all! But, have had the same 026 for about 30 yrs now, liked it so much i found another one, and bought it. BUT, i picked up a 261, and its a cuttin son of a gun. I really like that saw, its a dandy! Then, the husky 266's are great saws as well, for as old as they are, i've got a couple of them, too, 24'' bars, one's ''built'' a little and it really cuts great. Oh boy, as they say, decision's, decision's, ha,ha. Opp's almost forgot the echo 590 its a ''goodie'' too. But, for the bigger stuff, the 044 is just the ticket.

Come to think of it I have an 026 pro also but I'm not crazy about the bar/chain combination I put on it. If I change it back to an 18" .325 again it will be among my favorites. I put a 3/8" 16" bar on it because I had them handy and it works okay but just not the best.
Right now I think my MS250 will out cut the 026 because of the 16" 3/8 LP chain I put on it.

Come to think of it I have an 026 pro also but I'm not crazy about the bar/chain combination I put on it. If I change it back to an 18" .325 again it will be among my favorites. I put a 3/8" 16" bar on it because I had them handy and it works okay but just not the best.
Right now I think my MS250 will out cut the 026 because of the 16" 3/8 LP chain I put on it.
For the 026 PRO, by all means go back to either a 16" or 18" bar with .325 chain. Forget the 3/8" pitch unless low profile. This saw does not like that and will feel underpowered as it cuts. Use the same pitch as the 353. I highly recommend this move. More teeth yields a smoother performance, especially in hardwoods.

Husqvarna 353 , I have an 18 and 20 in bar for it, but the 18 has been hanging on the wall for years. It’s such a shame that Husqvarna closed the book on them. We sold so many of them back in the day. Also an easy saw to work on, I would say 5-10 a month come into the shop for tune ups or various repairs. Great saw

Husqvarna 353 , I have an 18 and 20 in bar for it, but the 18 has been hanging on the wall for years. It’s such a shame that Husqvarna closed the book on them. We sold so many of them back in the day. Also an easy saw to work on, I would say 5-10 a month come into the shop for tune ups or various repairs. Great saw

I have a 353 I purchased new but always wondered how the 359 held up against it.

For the 026 PRO, by all means go back to either a 16" or 18" bar with .325 chain. Forget the 3/8" pitch unless low profile. This saw does not like that and will feel underpowered as it cuts. Use the same pitch as the 353. I highly recommend this move. More teeth yields a smoother performance, especially in hardwoods.
Agreed. The only reason it's on there is because it was new and I had it hanging on the wall, thought why not try it? Like you said, it's not the best on these saws.

Agreed. The only reason it's on there is because it was new and I had it hanging on the wall, thought why not try it? Like you said, it's not the best on these saws.
You would be surprised at how many mid-sized or smaller saws have wound up being sold when their operators installed the wrong bars and chain in an effort to upgrade them. I once had a grudge against the .325 chain that was on an MS290 that was given to me for almost no cost. I tried to install an 18" bar with 3/8" pitch full chisel and it was a complete mismatch. There wasn't anyway that clamshell engine could be satisfied with that arrangement.

I have a 353 I purchased new but always wondered how the 359 held up against it.
I don't have a 353 but have 346xp that I love. Bill I can tell you this about the 359, I have one that's had at least 80 tanks since 2005, my other 359 has 75 tanks since 2013-it was an ebay saw that was pretty beat up on the outside so who knows how many hours on it. Both of these saws still run great and I prefer the ergonomics over any of the current strato saws.

I have one that would probably do well with 3/8, it's a 290 made into a 390 with muffler mod and carb limiters removed. I thought about using an 044 carb on it and advancing the timing a degree or two but it's hard enough to pull the rope the way it is. I think it's now running a 20" with a .325.
It snowed this morning so I went to the local mower shop to shoot the breeze and came back home with half a pickup load of saws he wanted rid of. Mostly Homelites but one Poulan Super DA. Maybe I can get one or two running next Spring but they all need a good bath...

I have one that would probably do well with 3/8, it's a 290 made into a 390 with muffler mod and carb limiters removed. I thought about using an 044 carb on it and advancing the timing a degree or two but it's hard enough to pull the rope the way it is. I think it's now running a 20" with a .325.
It snowed this morning so I went to the local mower shop to shoot the breeze and came back home with half a pickup load of saws he wanted rid of. Mostly Homelites but one Poulan Super DA. Maybe I can get one or two running next Spring but they all need a good bath...
You sound as tenacious as I do when it comes to mid-sized saws. There are so many of them in addition to the small ones. I just completed restoring my fourth Homie in two weeks. The carbs were all good. A couple only needed a good cleanup and new fuel lines. One needed a new ignition module and another needed a sprocket. The new replacement IMs are slightly different, so some wiring and connectors got involved. Regardless, they all run now. I think Homies never were designed for their owners to work on them and many small engine shops no longer go near them.

Back