What a piece of crap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a brand new little boys axe at tractor supply today to keep in the toolbox of the truck and for splitting up kindling. Got home and sharpened it up as it was dull as a butter knife took it out back and on the second swing the head broke off. :msp_sneaky: So I came inside and was going to sit down and write truper an email and came to find out they don't even have a english website. :msp_thumbdn: Guess I will just have to take it back to tractor supply and exchange it.

Before everybody starts recommending a fiskars x25 or 27 I am not a fan of plastic, I don't own a plastic handgun,shotgun or rifle and I would rather have a hickory or ash handle on my axe...

2012-12-01_15-17-23_563.jpg

Let us know if they take it back w/o a problem. I bought a handle for my maul at TS not too long ago. So far so good. I sorted through about 8 of them to find the one I finally purchased. I think Truper brand is made somewhere in South America.

Bummer........

But before you pre-judge the plastic handled Fiskars hatchet....... take another look at the Hickory (or whatever it is made of) handles Truper hatchet again. At least the Fiskars is quaranteed for life....

I was skeptical at first, and I have loosed the head off a fibreglass so I had my doubts. Exchange it for a Fiskars and be done with it, I've no issues with my super splitter (pre X25) for 3 years.

Bummer........

But before you pre-judge the plastic handled Fiskars hatchet....... take another look at the Hickory (or whatever it is made of) handles Truper hatchet again. At least the Fiskars is quaranteed for life....

Im not saying that the fiskars isn't a good product I just personally like the feel of wood in my hands over plastic any day of the week.

Okay, I won't tell you to get the Fiskars X25 or X27. For something to carry in a tool box for taking care of kindling try the Fiskars X7. Yeah, I know, it has a plastic type handle and everything you don't like about them. But, I have had the wood handle on pretty much everything and have broken them after a short workout. A few years back I broke one that had a fiberglass handle. I couldn't tell you the brand, but the handle was yellow. Then I tried a different kind. I think it is still fiberglass but made a bit stronger hand has done a lot of splitting for me. It was a True Temper 4# splitter. But I wanted something better so after reading the reviews on Amazon I figured why not. So I picked up the X27 due to the longer handle than the X25. This thing works like a dream. I have abused it a lot since I've had it and challenged it. I can only say I couldn't be happier with my choice. I personally will never go back to a wood handle.

If you haven't gathered by now, I am extremely rough on the equipment. If it can break, I will be the one to break it.

I recently ordered the X7 (14 inch handle) and I'll say this, be sure to keep your fingers out of the way or they will be gone. It's lightweight and makes my other hatchet seem like a sledge hammer.

So before you knock it, give it a try. You never can tell, you might even grow to like it.

The picture below is with the Fiskars X27. I dare you to do the same thing with a wood handled axe! That log was about 23 inches across, by 4 feet in height. It was also oak! AND, I'm a 61 year old grandmother of 5! Just something to consider.

View attachment 264993

Im not saying that the fiskars isn't a good product I just personally like the feel of wood in my hands over plastic any day of the week.

For goodness sake, how much kindling are you splitting each week that the feel of wood is important?

I can get it if you're swinging a hammer all day, or you're using a heavy tool like a full size ax or a maul doing heavy work. This is...making kindling.

You just need a utility tool -- get an X7 hatchet to split kindling and be done with it.

For goodness sake, how much kindling are you splitting each week that the feel of wood is important?

I can get it if you're swinging a hammer all day, or you're using a heavy tool like a full size ax or a maul doing heavy work. This is...making kindling.

You just need a utility tool -- get an X7 hatchet to split kindling and be done with it.

Does it really bother you that bad that I don't care to get one of those new fangled fiskars axes? Geesh yall fiskars guys keep trying to cram them down everybodys throat... :rolleyes2:

Possibly, you got a lemon handle. Take it back to TS and see if they'll make it good. If not, get a replacement handle.

I bought a Truper 8# maul at TS last year, it has a plastic sleeve extending down the handle 4" from the head. While I don't use it very often, I've whupped it like a rented mule on occasion with no problems.

I went through 3 maul handles and said enough. I like how the handle says American Hickory then if you look at the small print on the other side says made in Mexico. I am not sure how it is cost effective to cut a tree and send it to Mexico to have it made into a handle then ship it back unless you cut some serious corners.

aarolar, I hate to be the one to point this out...but the forensic evidence is stacked in favor of the MFG. There are (4) distinct strike damage(dents) in the handle way below where the head was attached.....your aim sucks. Sorry, but you are the guy that non-breakable "plastic" handles were specifically made for;)

I can cast this stone because I own several "plastic" handled tools for the very same reason:laugh:

COLD HARD EVIDENCE:
2012-12-01_15-17-23_563-1.jpg

Next time get a blind guy to spot you before each swing:yoyo:

.....I rest my case

I went through 3 maul handles and said enough. I like how the handle says American Hickory then if you look at the small print on the other side says made in Mexico. I am not sure how it is cost effective to cut a tree and send it to Mexico to have it made into a handle then ship it back unless you cut some serious corners.

And ... on the other hand, I've a 3 kg maul made by Mueller (Austria), a thing of ferocious beauty. Has an American hickory handle (another thing of beauty.)

Hickory logs went to Austria, then product shipped here, there, and everywhere. No noticeable corners cut, but then it hardly qualifies as a cheapie. Keep all the cheapie tools!

I, too, much prefer hickory tool handles to plastic/glass/whatever else, thank you very much

aarolar, I hate to be the one to point this out...but the forensic evidence is stacked in favor of the MFG. There are (4) distinct strike damage(dents) in the handle way below where the head was attached.....your aim sucks. Sorry, but you are the guy that non-breakable "plastic" handles were specifically made for;)

I can cast this stone because I own several "plastic" handled tools for the very same reason:laugh:

COLD HARD EVIDENCE:
2012-12-01_15-17-23_563-1.jpg

Next time get a blind guy to spot you before each swing:yoyo:

.....I rest my case

That is where I used what was left of the handle to beat the head out of the piece of wood it was buried halfway into. You should really not be so quick to assume such because you just made an ass of yourself... :laugh:

We have burned wood for 15 years now and I just got a hydraulic splitter this year I have split MANY a cord of wood with a wood handle axe and maul and I will admit I do miss but not very often. I can put the axe in the same hole pretty much every swing of the head...

Last edited:
just a badly made it happens,i got three hatchets purely for kindling the 1st one with a wood handle did the same so i bought 2more but with fibreglass handles,didn't take long for them to break either ,having a good look its no wonder the handle only goes into the head by about 3/4 of an inch,the rest is epoxied in,
now thats to be expected after all they are cheap china junk,my fix is to weld some 1 inch pipe in for a handle ,for kindling it works a treat:D

FWIW, I'm with ya........ at least in theory. In reality though, the plastic handled Fiskars axes / hatchets work well, really well. Sometimes I have to go with a 'buy it once and never worry about it again' philosophy, even if it means buying something with a plastic handle. ;)

yeah, fiskars sucks, sucks so bad I bought one of each...

42EC12AF-5C62-4FDB-88A5-C582DBE52DAA-3629-000008AD0BAA87CB.jpg

The head design, and coating make this worthwhile, not to mention that industructable handle...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back