What about you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew W.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Would you take the time to replace the only 2 bad cutters on a like new 24" chain or, would you just file it and however it cuts it cuts.IMG_20170104_173114.jpgThe cutters on this chain are like new in size, except for 2 on the right hand side, I punched out the 2 damaged cutters, and then attached and spun 2 new ones. Back to making chips

If You have the tools and presets, change them out - no argument there.

I don't have neither, nor is having this done cheap in my area, thus I would have cut the damaged cutters off and ran the loop as I do every other.
Considering it is a full comp loop two cutters wouldn't have made any significant difference anyways.

What I wonder is how did You loose two cutters in the first place!?
I use Dolmar branded Oregon loops and the occasional Oregon loop and have yet to loose a tooth on one of these.
I do occasionally encounter hardened screws, nails and the odd bullet - these chains endure a lot.

There are very few situations I can imagine myself being in where replacing a single cutter on a loop of chain would benefit me more than the time it took to do it. I have the tools to do it but I also have a strong grasp of marginal gains and economy of efficiency. I only use my chain tools to remove a drive link wh the chain stretches past the range of adjustment.

Then again though, right is right. Why not use the proper equipment the way it is supposed to be used.

In the end file/grind it and however it cuts, it cuts.

If You have the tools and presets, change them out - no argument there.

I don't have neither, nor is having this done cheap in my area, thus I would have cut the damaged cutters off and ran the loop as I do every other.
Considering it is a full comp loop two cutters wouldn't have made any significant difference anyways.

What I wonder is how did You loose two cutters in the first place!?
I use Dolmar branded Oregon loops and the occasional Oregon loop and have yet to loose a tooth on one of these.
I do occasionally encounter hardened screws, nails and the odd bullet - these chains endure a lot.
I believe it was BARBED wire inside of dead ash
Sure. done it lots of times, most important to file the new cutters down to the same length as the rest of the original cutters, same for depth gauges. One of the benefits of having all the pieces and gear needed to do chain modification.
It's not my personal equipment, but it is handy at work :)

There are very few situations I can imagine myself being in where replacing a single cutter on a loop of chain would benefit me more than the time it took to do it. I have the tools to do it but I also have a strong grasp of marginal gains and economy of efficiency. I only use my chain tools to remove a drive link wh the chain stretches past the range of adjustment.

Then again though, right is right. Why not use the proper equipment the way it is supposed to be used.

In the end file/grind it and however it cuts, it cuts.
I hear ya, but this chain has little use and we have a bunch of small sections of chain, it only took maybe ten minutes to fix it up right.
However I was not apposed to just (grinding) those two teeth off and calling it good, sometimes it's just what you haft to do. :)

I find it most difficult to run a chain less than near perfect, I know its just a mental thing and there are plenty of damaged chains still out there cutting wood but on my own saws I would rather the chain be in better shape than the saw outer body panels, plastic or metal. I changed out my first cutters around 1964 - 65 with little more than a hand file, punch and a hammer, took me an hour or more back then, now less than a 15 min job with the correct tools and parts on hand. Most of all the chain I run is either modified/shortened pre made loops I bought out during dealership closeouts, auctions etc. or made up off reels of chain.

I find it most difficult to run a chain less than near perfect, I know its just a mental thing and there are plenty of damaged chains still out there cutting wood but on my own saws I would rather the chain be in better shape than the saw outer body panels, plastic or metal. I changed out my first cutters around 1964 - 65 with little more than a hand file, punch and a hammer, took me an hour or more back then, now less than a 15 min job with the correct tools and parts on hand. Most of all the chain I run is either modified/shortened pre made loops I bought out during dealership closeouts, auctions etc. or made up off reels of chain.
Dude that's awesome, how long have you been in this kind of work?

Dude that's awesome, how long have you been in this kind of work?
I repaired my first saw at or around 1960 while sitting on our rough plank doorstep on the portable cookhouse 12 miles back in the woods from the nearest community/farm. My dad was running a crew cutting logs and my mom was cooking for the outfit. There was a lot of damaged/worn out chainsaws for me to play with.

I repaired my first saw at or around 1960 while sitting on our rough plank doorstep on the portable cookhouse 12 miles back in the woods from the nearest community/farm. My dad was running a crew cutting logs and my mom was cooking for the outfit. There was a lot of damaged/worn out chainsaws for me to play with.
That's a great story, you grow up fast in tree care and logging that's for sure, thanks for sharing :)

Are you using the wrong spinner anvil or why are your rivets breaking up around the edge?
Unless you really take your time they almost never come out looking factory however this was about a ten minute fix so...

And as far as what size spinner, I have no idea, it belongs to the tree service I work for.

Back