What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't help myself pawn shop find 2018 model is that revision II? Sure is sweet. Fired up on the 3rd pull. Didn't think I'd ever buy a saw with an 18" bar but here it is.img20200320_134455.jpg

i added a MSA140c. With the AK30 battery, supposed to last ~30 min run time.
this saw will stay on my firewood processor to nip limbs and knots and saw the odd Y that comes in a load.
i cleared an old walking trail out with it for some time just nipping brush and some small deadfall that's above the snow and it worked great for that, it's nice and light and quiet.

Attachments

• 4374E02F-DC4B-4C48-8B2D-79AF1272A8AF.jpeg
    4374E02F-DC4B-4C48-8B2D-79AF1272A8AF.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 5
Didn't think I'd ever buy a saw with an 18" bar but here it is.
View attachment 808842

I got an 18” last year from my uncle, a fairly unused Stihl Ms250. He’s getting up in age, moved into the city and got rid of his firewood equipment. I wasn’t looking for one, but he offered it to me about half price.

Balance feels good on this. I had an 025 16" I really liked. I might get a 16" just cause I have a few chains left here.

It does what it’s supposed to do, but I wouldn’t go that route. Unless I had to stand for medical reasons, and couldn’t sit. This way you’re fighting/overcoming gravity for no good reason. Maybe I’ve done it vertical for so long that this seems weird to me.
For me sitting down or staying bent over kills my back much faster then standing up. Sitting down and splitting vertical limits movement and makes it much harder to pick up rounds or maneuvering then into place for splitting.

Added these two back savers & a son in law!!View attachment 806344
I added a 20HP diesel 4X4 FEL because I added a SIL too. He's a Professor of Physical Therapy at the UMD School of Medicine. Haven't put him on any of my play toys yet. I just hope he makes enough money to keep me occupied when I get old.

Both of these are insignificant compared to getting a heavy round up onto a horizontal machine, and dealing with the pieces after it’s split.
This is what I use, but it only works on a good smooth surface. It will lay flat to roll rounds on, lifts to the level of the splitter beam. I can take a thin slice off on my side and push the big piece back on the tray. Never have to pick a piece up off the ground.
qiCeQ9h.jpg

6OpvjXQ.jpg

lBqu02F.jpg

Did you mean that BIG, or that little?
That in between. Try to stay 16" or 20" never saw a need for 18" but after running it a little the reach and balance seems alright. I have smaller saws I can brush tops with so I guess there's no reason to change to 16".

My dream machine came on March 3rd, took me a week or two to put it to use as the sap was running big time. My only question is "why did I wait so long"? I see they're closing borders now, don't know if this would be 'essential' trade or not, but it's here. I'm trying to wear the powder coat off the wedge, at almost 8 cords, it's still orange. em1.jpg

Back