What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a 114, not sure of the weight, the book doesn't give it. I have a few logs the crane op. said weighed 6000 lbs, it would lift them but with rear steer i'm not sure you'd want to. It's a 1960 machine, not long after they went articulated . Most all the firewood I do goes on 1/2 cord pallets I make, when it's time to deliver I pick the pallet, tie it to the loader bracket, dump it on the truck. moved 30+ cord that way last fall. I do post on the heavy equipment forum as Mike Van. I read some of the problems guys have today with machines with computer chips, codes, won't start, won't move etc - Makes me happy to have this old machine. The only chips on it come from a Stihl once & awhile! No metrics either - Its a win win -

Taken from Wikipedia. So it’s a nick name.

Valley oak is of the white oak evolutionary lineage, which is officially known as the subgenus Lepidobalanus. This subgenus comprises numerous oaks from California and elsewhere, which species share similar leaves, acorns, bark and wood pulp. Early settlers used a variety of common names for the valley oak including: white oak, bottom oak, swamp oak, water oak and mush oak. The Spaniards, because the tree looked like the white oaks in Europe, called the tree "roble".

We had an old Hough Payloader when I was a kid. It was a 1957 US Navy surplus. Had a flat head Hercules in it, I think? I thought it was cool back then, would love to still have it.

I love the old iron. Take care of it and it keeps doing what it’s supposed to do.

I am really liking my new gorillbac log lift now that I have used it for about a week now. I think it's working much better then noodling big rounds to a size one can handle by hand. By back is receiving a much needed relief form the extra saw work and lifting heavy rounds. I'm saving saw work and the wear and tear of running them so much because I can lift the whole round and split it much easier then noodling rounds to a manageable size..
I can work longer and have less fatigue on my back. It's working out very well so far and I think it was money well spent. I'm learning how to use it more effectively as I learn how to use more efficiently. I'm very please with it . Money well spent.

I am really liking my new gorillbac log lift now that I have used it for about a week now. I think it's working much better then noodling big rounds to a size one can handle by hand. By back is receiving a much needed relief form the extra saw work and lifting heavy rounds. I'm saving saw work and the wear and tear of running them so much because I can lift the whole round and split it much easier then noodling rounds to a manageable size..
I can work longer and have less fatigue on my back. It's working out very well so far and I think it was money well spent. I'm learning how to use it more effectively as I learn how to use more efficiently. I'm very please with it . Money well spent.
I was thinking about getting one of these but according to there site your splitter has to have a fixed end foot and mine has a fixed wedge. It does look like it works pretty darn good though!!

Thing I hate about doing firewood is actually physically bringing it in the house. I used to carry it in for a long while. Then I made a log carrier thing out of a dolly that actually works really well but will still wear you out. This year I was brain storming on making an electric cart of some kind. By the time I had my matierial figured out it was close enough to just buy this. I this was the first winter I used it and other than getting a splitter and putting the mail away it’s made the biggest difference in firewood. Literally no effort to move it. I load it up way over thre sides and it just takes it. Charge lasts forever too.

Attachments

• DFF05B40-4D23-4165-AB68-A87FA9E87D84.png
    DFF05B40-4D23-4165-AB68-A87FA9E87D84.png
    666.3 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back