What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a workout today with the military trailer and loader. I want to get logs up to the house so I can work at my leisure. View attachment 798586

Since you got a good deal on the trailer, see if there's any room in the budget for a skidding winch. The Norse winches from Labonville are very reasonably priced. A skidding winch makes a tractor like that about 3X as useful in the woods, and really makes many operations much safer. I love being able to pull over a tree from 150' away.

I've had the military trailer for around 9 or 10 years now. I do have a 3 point cable winch that my uncle always used. It needs re-welded. I am looking forward to using the winch since the tractor had 4 pto speeds. The slower speed (under 540) will be nice.

I have been looking at them as well but at $500+ looking is all I'm doing. After watching @SS396driver build the log arch for his dumper, I think that will be the route I take. I usually try to split off my trailer so if I can get it in, I can get it on the splitter.

I emailed gorillabac yesterday and left my phone number and said I had some questions about the product.
I got a call from them today on Sunday of all days and we had a long chat, I think I'll be buying one next week. They can also be hooked you to your receiver hitch to load stuff in your truck as well. I love running my saw but having to quarter up rounds that are to heavy is making more work and putting more wear and tear on my saws.
He quoted me $573.38 and $44.12 for the spike kit with free shipping and no tax.
The thing I like besides lifting a big round is it will drag it to the splitter and lift it.

Here is his info: Give him a call, he was a nice guy and answered all my questions.
Fred Kalakay
Lift Rite Log Company LLC,
11619 Eagle Creek Pass
Fort Wayne, IN 46814
Feel free to call me at 260-249-9420 with any questions or visit our website at www.gorillabac.com for more information.

The light tower works good even with dirty lens. Still have to get the other 2 lights home but this Kubota diesel purrs nicely and throws some light. Even lights up the owb smoke in the dark. Wife even came outside to tell me I was crazy. I'm thinking of pointing it at my neighbours house. Goes about 30' high. Couple neighbours have said they want to rent it for corn season around the dryer.

Attachments

• 20200216_182538.jpg
    20200216_182538.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200216_183118.jpg
    20200216_183118.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200216_181949.jpg
    20200216_181949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200216_183149.jpg
    20200216_183149.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Tested the log skidding tongs today . Much easier than putting a chain around the log. View attachment 798903
Where did you pick up the tongs? I want to get a pair of them, one for each eye of the loader until I can afford a grapple. I used chains but it still was a back breaker and took way too long.

Bought a new trailer and added aluminum sides to it. This is an all purpose trailer, I move wood, mulch, motorcycles, tractor, ATV, bales of straw, you name it. This will be much handier than the smaller one I've pulled for the last 35 years.

View attachment 798957

I have found that the smaller 4foot wide trailers work better then the 7 foot wide ones that I found that yes the bigger trailers do carry more pay load. But for around the yard the smaller trailers work best. That mane reason reason are my arms are to short to reach the wood wood splits that are in the middle if the trailer. With the smaller 4 foot trailers I don't have that issue. My little 4x10 footer has 2 axles and 4 10 low profile tires so it sits at the right thigh. I can stack that thing way over the top with fresh split green wood and it handles t just fine for pulling around the yard. I wish it was a dumper though. I removed the springs and welded the axle strait to the frame to keep it lower. I split and throw the splits till it starts to over flow and then go stack. Now it's not DOT approved but it never leaves the yard. It has expended metal floor and sides so it gets good air flow. I spaced the axles apart just enough so I don't need have crank it up to hook it up. Besides my Kabota has a 3 point hitch so I just lower it under the ball, hit lift and I'm on my way.

For what I do that aluminum would be beat to hell in a month..They are light rust proof and always look good though. Light weight trailer means a bigger payload.

Where did you pick up the tongs? I want to get a pair of them, one for each eye of the loader until I can afford a grapple. I used chains but it still was a back breaker and took way too long.
On clearance at Tractor supply. My bil went to his local one and asked about the 40% on log equipment. Guy looked at him like he was crazy. Guess they are going to stop selling them in certain stores.

Bought a new trailer and added aluminum sides to it. This is an all purpose trailer, I move wood, mulch, motorcycles, tractor, ATV, bales of straw, you name it. This will be much handier than the smaller one I've pulled for the last 35 years.

View attachment 798957
Nice. We have a single axle aluminum trailer . Great for lighter stuff

The big front loader bucket on the Bota has stopped a bunch of finger printing fire wood.
mpO0uor.jpg

Used to have to hand load the trailer then hand unload it. With the Bota bucket I just dump it.
enhance

I have a old New Holland Manure spreader the floor finalluy rotted out of. going to put a new floor in and remove the beaters then can use the PTO to have the apron chain push the wood out.

:D Al

Arch is done . But I stumbled on this today at 40% off at tractor supply. Like I said I ran across something I didnt know I neededView attachment 798424

Tested the log skidding tongs today . Much easier than putting a chain around the log. View attachment 798903

I made my own arch too, though I made mine to pull behind my ATV and Tractor. But, sometimes, I just use the manual winch on the arch to bring large (un-liftable by me) rounds and short logs up a hill that is much steeper than it looks in any picture. The tongs make for a very quick connect, and with their ability to open wide, I can grab the rounds by the two ends and get a smoother more stable pull.

IMG_8192.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

Back