What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last 15 years scrounging was quite tough. I did not need to haul a lot so I let my tractor and dump truck sit. Now that I have hundreds of cords of wood I need to get my old tired behind moving. This past season I got at least 500 calls for wood delivery or more than $250,000 worth of wood sales. So many other businesses have moved away there is little competition. The biggest problem now that old and senile I need plenty of beauty rest. Thanks

Gzz-z... sounds a bit like the classic Catch-22!

A little derailing of the thread, but here goes. To effectively use a winch one must use a device that can maneuver over around obstacles. There are many ways to do this that are cost effective. A capstan can be usable, but do not have much of a payload. On the other hand my larger winch really can pull, but is not too maneuverable. One thing that works pretty well with small winches is a 1/4 to 1/2 cord trailer. I built a small adjustable wheel to bolt up to the tongue of a small trailer. I could adjust the tongue wheel to steer a little right or left to miss objects. When my truck was full you merely hook up the trailer to your vehicle and go. Whether you process your wood on site does not matter. If a splitter is used the splittler can go into the trailer. Or when truck and trailer is full go home. At my work site I stay several weeks which makes setting up and unsettling much more manageable. Thanks
Having multiple trailers is really nice. I'll get a load on my dump trailer and put the splitter between it and my little half cord trailer. I welded a receiver hitch on the back of my JD 265 and it will pull the half cord trailer around the yard fine. It's street legal so if I get a half cord order I can pull it with the truck too.

I'm constantly trying to improve my system and make things more efficient, productive and easier. The biggest change i recently made is getting twenty 330 gallon IBC totes to put my wood in. Since getting them about 1 week ago, I have filled 7 of them.

I have a woodshed for one year, and the totes for the next. Each way can accommodate the 8 full cords a year I burn. I hope to get on a 3 year plan this way. I also have pallets with ends that accommodate another 5 full cords for overflow. I'm also labeling the totes with the type of wood and date filled.

I'm also building a heavy duty pressure treated staging table to put by the splitter.

Last year I added a sawbuck to my operation for smaller diameter stuff

How much wood does the tote hold.
I can get them for free.

Geez, I was gonna say bring my 8N home from my pals farm. But all the N hatin’ hmmmm

In all seriousness, gonna find a FEL, figure between the firewood and the trail maintenance I plan on doing up at the hunting camp. I don’t want one, I need one!!

My dads knees are shot, I need to groom him some trails up there. This was the first year he rode the quad to a stand. He ended up not climbing into it. But a FEL would do me nice

You can do about anything with an 8N, just not enough of it! I have an Oliver 550, probably best value for dollar I could have come up with

I would love a good 4wd tractor for a multitude of reasons but unfortunately cannot afford or justify the expense (yet). I used to have a small Allis Chalmers and that would be great to have again. My FIL has a nice Ford 9n but unfortunately he keeps thinking he is going to farm someday (not happening unless my MIL somehow predeceases him) so he will not sell it and it sits outside. Every year he has more and more trouble getting it going again.
20200119_100318.jpg Even a small tractor can make a big difference. A little bigger wouldn't hurt but this thing refuses to die or not get the job done.

FCB79B14-F66C-4C62-8E90-757909593D4A.jpeg FCB79B14-F66C-4C62-8E90-757909593D4A.jpeg I added more room to my wood area and in order to do that I needed fill and a lot so I had a buddy come with his hoe and dig in my pond for a few hours now I have I tons of fill bad thing what I didn’t get moved this past weekend is now froze solid.. that and have to add a lot more wood this year!

Attachments

• B5B8C7DB-4E9D-45EA-800F-D1EF5B947DA9.jpeg
    B5B8C7DB-4E9D-45EA-800F-D1EF5B947DA9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • F5E91B49-1418-41AB-B8A5-A6799F72F546.jpeg
    F5E91B49-1418-41AB-B8A5-A6799F72F546.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • B3179030-4EF7-4760-B933-E1FEABC5E5F1.jpeg
    B3179030-4EF7-4760-B933-E1FEABC5E5F1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • F8B4C35E-5CE5-4CC0-B77D-A050EF9F8C24.jpeg
    F8B4C35E-5CE5-4CC0-B77D-A050EF9F8C24.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
How much wood does the tote hold.
I can get them for free.

There are two different size totes. One is 275 gallons and the other is 330 gallons. Both have the same footprint (approx. 47" x 40"), the 330 gallon version is about 6" taller.

The 275 gallon cage will hold about 1/3 of a cord (40-45 cubic feet)

The 330 gallon cage will hold a little under 1/2 of a cord (55-60 cubic feet)

Of course how tightly you pack it and whether its level with the top or mounded over will change things. The figures I gave are for the tote completely full and level.

Wanting to add something to bring in the wood rounds from up in the mountains. This seems to have a descent size bed, maybe could add a small trailer. We will have to see what Mama Bear thinks, she sue does enjoy the warmth of the wood stove so I have that going for me.
135e0ca966e57822f01ed9d7efc0811c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing for me...haven't split wood for about 10 months. Did score about 6-8 Ash trees under power line in a little po-dunk town that have been topped and all branches removed already. Just need to drop the 10-12' tall main trunks, leave stumps, and can park and load right next to them on road. Not huge trees, but easy pickins.

Well now that I think about it, I do have my Grandpa's old tanden axle trailer converted from manure spreader, years ago that needs new floor. Have the boards already....it been sitting out behind machine shed for 4 years. I am sure will need some welding, lights, tires, and wheel bearings/seals. Maybe that's why it been sitting.....

A tractor sure makes firewood a lot easier. Especially with a skidding winch, and even more so with 4wd and a loader, though those last bits tend to bring the price up an awful lot. Just a 2wd and a winch can get a lot done though.

Myself, I'm pretty set on adding a grapple for my Kubota this spring. I've been using pallet forks for the last 6 years, and they do the job for the most part, but a grapple will be super slick for dealing with brush and for selecting and placing logs more carefully instead of having to let them roll or slide off the end of the forks. It'll make loading my trailer much easier.
why not a thumb for your forks? works well for me.

why not a thumb for your forks? works well for me.

I've thought about it, I even have two sets of forks, so I could have one dedicated to the thumb. For me though, there's a couple reasons. One, I'll use it a lot for brush, and the forks just don't do as good of a job. Two, weight, the grapple I want is under 400#. Forks are already around that, and then the thumb would be another 150# or so. And last, I like how the grapple keeps the load closer in toward the pins. Just my thoughts. The thumb idea would be a nice cost saver though, and I definitely considered it.

I've thought about it, I even have two sets of forks, so I could have one dedicated to the thumb. For me though, there's a couple reasons. One, I'll use it a lot for brush, and the forks just don't do as good of a job. Two, weight, the grapple I want is under 400#. Forks are already around that, and then the thumb would be another 150# or so. And last, I like how the grapple keeps the load closer in toward the pins. Just my thoughts. The thumb idea would be a nice cost saver though, and I definitely considered it.
Good points. There's no way I want to lift any more than well under what the loader will lift already- it's just asking for trouble. I've pushed it already and felt lucky to get away without bending something when rolling over rough terrain with loads that want to sway the loader. I had the same concern about brush but it is amazing how well the forks do. I'm leaving next to no debris behind. It only takes a hour or so with the grab on to learn ways to roll up brush and pick it up in a way that takes all the small stuff with it. It really surprised me bc I thought that was the compromise I was going to have to make to keep it to one attachment. It's no compromise at all really, surprisingly.

With any luck ,this summer I'll be dragging wood in with a small garden tractor.

Horsepower, probably in the single digits, certainly not over 15.

I don't know if would qualify more as an addition or a subtraction.

I'll always find the little things, but I've ordered a frostbite grapple. I know many people have mentioned a thumb for the forks, but with the uneven terrain I cut on I would like to have the extra control. Even in some slightly off camber situations the logs have slipped off one side or another and that is a pain. I already have a skidding winch and that may be the best accessory in mountainous and rough terrain. The winch isn't expensive compared to many other things. A 3-4 ton winch can be had for less than 3k. Not a number to sneeze at, but for me it has payed for itself with its reach. Having a second set of TRUSTWORTHY hands to help is a close second.

Shea

PS-Any tractor with attachments is a very helpful tool.

Wanting to add something to bring in the wood rounds from up in the mountains. This seems to have a descent size bed, maybe could add a small trailer. We will have to see what Mama Bear thinks, she sue does enjoy the warmth of the wood stove so I have that going for me.
135e0ca966e57822f01ed9d7efc0811c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may want to check out the Kawasaki Mule. For not much more money, you get a lot more bed space, power and endurance. Add a small trailer and you can haul quite a bit. 20191115_112126.jpg 20191225_104736.jpg

Back