What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it installed last night. Gonna be a big help in the firewood and brush cleanup department.

View attachment 803214 View attachment 803215 View attachment 803216
Looks way easier for picking up logs when compared to forks, but can you cut all the way through a log when you are working near the head of that attachment? Just curious. I've wished 100's of times I had a grapple instead of forks when logs are short or end up falling off a side because the forks aren't centered on the log.

Looks way easier for picking up logs when compared to forks, but can you cut all the way through a log when you are working near the head of that attachment? Just curious. I've wished 100's of times I had a grapple instead of forks when logs are short or end up falling off a side because the forks aren't centered on the log.

I haven't found myself cutting logs that are on the loader in a long time. I understand why people do it (to avoid bending over) but I generally load a layer of logs onto my deckover trailer then park the tractor and buck the load. Some of them I buck while standing next to the trailer and some while I'm on the trailer. I either bend over or kneel while on the trailer. Next I park my tractor-mounted splitter right next to the trailer so I can load rounds without lifting them. It's a great system for me, but I usually work alone.

If I had another person who I trusted with a saw, I might hold the logs over the trailer at a height that allows that person to buck without bending over, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I know Sawyer Rob does it that way, and it looks pretty good.

Not sure if you've seen my pictures before but post #60 from me shows my fork setup for cutting 16" long rounds. The 3 forks work really well so I seldom use the grapple arm on it. I've had a grapple like Ryan's Milling has and I sold it. It worked good but took too much lifting capacity from my L35.
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...or-recommendations.338015/page-3#post-7125080

If I had another person who I trusted with a saw, I might hold the logs over the trailer at a height that allows that person to buck without bending over,

Not a fan of that for safety reasons.
Dropping rounds on rounds, or feet, on an elevated platform, not to mention the getting up/down numerous times.
I have stood on my log deck and bucked large rounds, then got down and noodled them to lift onto splitter.
Working on the ground is awkward too, but by far much safer. I now buck large stuff on the ground, flop it on a pallet, and place it on the log deck to noodle for the splitter.
IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0084.jpg IMG_7979.jpg

As far as 2020 additions go, my plan is cut and split, and not acquire anything more.
I have a long wish list, but have concluded the next step is a processor a year from now.
It is a big step, in the 40-55k range new, or maybe a used unit.
The rub is being able to make payments on a processor and, because I buy logs, have cash flow to feed it.
This years goal is to buy logs and cut/split, and buy more logs, putting as much as I can on the ground for next year.
And because I had some set backs last spring and fall, I'm starting early, and also canceling a CA rv trip.
For now I'm piling on the ground. Later I'll bundle it on pallets to season.IMG_2617.jpg

I mailed off the check for the gorillabac log lift today. It should arrive by the end of next week.I have plenty of big rounds to test it out on. I'll post after I use it a bit and report if it works and is worth the money. I ordered the lift kit #3803 with the extra long spike kit and the truck receiver hitch kit for loading heavy rounds in the truck bed. Hopefully it works and will save my back from lifting heavy rounds and having to noodle down big rounds with the saw.

RE: What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Someone to do some of the monotonous grunt work splitting and stacking while I get out in the woods to cut and haul :cool:

A52BF640-F58C-493F-9A45-616E7BE65440.jpegD7CA28F8-2942-4E7B-A37A-C010B7FD5F14.jpegFinally got my buddy over to weld a mini-skid plate to the TM. Although I have a full-size skid loader, it can become a PITA to maneuver around my splitting area. It likes to dig holes as well. The mini runs it a bit slower but is a lot more maneuverable with better visibility.
The next item on my list is some desire to stack wood! I enjoy every other aspect of firewood but the stacking. Just to dang monotonous

Ordered three sets of idler wheels. Long over due on those.
Also asked about the pump, as a year ago I got a two stage pump as a replacement from Surplus Center, because they, Built-Rite, did not have one available. I always questioned pairing a two stage pump with a hydraulic motor.
I believe I was speaking with the owner today.
It is not a two stage pump, so I added a new pump to the order.
A bit of maintenance, and asking questions, goes a long ways.

The last photo shows the hand crank, since replaced with a hydraulic cylinder mounted on the axle beam.
That has restricted the overall height to about 10', but has been most helpful. However, over a period of weeks it does bleed down. I should add a means of pinning it in a stationary position. I've also meant to make the lower guards removable, for better access of the lower drum, to clear chips, bark or snow, which can throws belt tracking off. Presently, reversing the belt direction works 95% of the time, snow being the exception as it gets compressed to ice and bonds to the lower drum.
I bought this used, two years old, Feb. 26, 2010 for 5k. It has been a good conveyor.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4274.jpg
    IMG_4274.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg