What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about getting one of these but according to there site your splitter has to have a fixed end foot and mine has a fixed wedge. It does look like it works pretty darn good though!!
Yeah, I don't think it would work for that type of splitter. To bad cause it works well for mine. I can see where it would be a problem with your type of splitter. You would have to reel out the cable as the round is pushed forward. With all equipment there is a learning curve and I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

Thing I hate about doing firewood is actually physically bringing it in the house. I used to carry it in for a long while. Then I made a log carrier thing out of a dolly that actually works really well but will still wear you out. This year I was brain storming on making an electric cart of some kind. By the time I had my matierial figured out it was close enough to just buy this. I this was the first winter I used it and other than getting a splitter and putting the mail away it’s made the biggest difference in firewood. Literally no effort to move it. I load it up way over thre sides and it just takes it. Charge lasts forever too.

I'm contemplating on adding a 10x10 room just behind the wall where my stove is located where I can stock it up with wood so I don't have to keep bringing wood in, in small batches. I use a dolly to bring in my wood in the house. A 10x10 room will hold enough wood to last me almost all winter.

Not one day haha. The thing works great I love it. I bring my wood in so it has the chance to dry a little bit more and I don’t have to go uncover it in the cold and snow ( it dosent snow anymore here in Connecticut though)

for my setup this thing has made all the difference. My next huge leap would be a splitter with the but to do a 4-way wedge or something with a log lift.

I'm contemplating on adding a 10x10 room just behind the wall where my stove is located where I can stock it up with wood so I don't have to keep bringing wood in, in small batches. I use a dolly to bring in my wood in the house. A 10x10 room will hold enough wood to last me almost all winter.

I actually have that but I kind of seclude it from the cellar that way I don’t have to heat it. I stack my wood opposite side of the cellar well as much as I can reasonably fit. Then I make a big pile right near the stove on both sides. This makes a big difference if the wood isn’t totally ready to go. I will admit they last few years I haven’t been ahead like I should be. I’ve only been doing what I need for that year. I got a full log truck load stacked in the yard now though so I’ll have a good jump on next years too.

How much $?

I think with shipping it was approximately $1800. I live on the east coast and it was shipped from Connecticut I believe. It's not a cheap proposition for sure, but as I have started to get older I would rather fix the machine than my body. You have to factor in the hydraulics too if you don't already have them run to the front. For now I am using it to move my log pile and some large rock to shore up creek erosion.

Shea

PS-Between this and the winch I have just about everything covered, but for firewood only the winch is still a more useful tool.

New to the game.....I'd like to get a wood stove installed and start burring. I've got a little pile that I use for backyard fires. It would be nice to have a wood stove to get me through the winter.

BR,

~TW
I replaced a 25 year old Century wood stove with a new EPA model to heat my 2400 sq ft home.
Drolet HT2000.
Greatest stove I've used.
Re-burns all the smoke gases so no smoke leaves the chimney and uses about 40% less wood now.
No charcoal left after fires, just white powder.
Made in Quebec, Canada.
P_20181002_075308.jpg

I think with shipping it was approximately $1800. I live on the east coast and it was shipped from Connecticut I believe. It's not a cheap proposition for sure, but as I have started to get older I would rather fix the machine than my body. You have to factor in the hydraulics too if you don't already have them run to the front. For now I am using it to move my log pile and some large rock to shore up creek erosion.

Shea

PS-Between this and the winch I have just about everything covered, but for firewood only the winch is still a more useful tool.

Did you go with a diverter or a true third function?

I went diverter valve, and I too am slowly learning the controls. It'd help if the mud would firm up a bit! You're right about the winch and grapple combo. Sure is slick.

I replaced a 25 year old Century wood stove with a new EPA model to heat my 2400 sq ft home.
Drolet HT2000.
Greatest stove I've used.
Re-burns all the smoke gases so no smoke leaves the chimney and uses about 40% less wood now.
No charcoal left after fires, just white powder.
Made in Quebec, Canada.
View attachment 815323

That's a nice one, I just did some reading up on it.....I think, I'm adding it to the short list.....I really like the price! Did you do the installation?

Best,

~TW

I only know about the third function, I’m not familiar with a diverter. I’m going to need to add one, as I plan on getting log forks. I wouldn’t mind a 4 in 1 (multi purpose) bucket either.

I discus putting forks, grapple, or thumb on my tractor here.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/log-attachment-for-wheel-loader.341173/

A diverter valve basically gets plumbed into either the curl or lift circuit of your loader. When you energize the solenoid valve it diverts flow to the auxiliary circuit. So, you can't do all three functions at once. But, unlike a third function, you can feather the auxiliary circuit with all the control of your joystick. They're also cheaper and easier to install.

I remember seeing your thread. I'm guessing that a machine like that has quite a bit more flow than these compact tractors. I bought my diverter kit from Ken's Bolt-on Hooks (online). You could check the specs, but I kinda doubt it'd handle the flow you have.

I'm guessing that a machine like that has quite a bit more flow than these compact tractors. I bought my diverter kit from Ken's Bolt-on Hooks (online). You could check the specs, but I kinda doubt it'd handle the flow you have.

It would be bigger, but same plumbing/routing. I can still learn from you guys.

Here’s the bucket control valve. It has three spools because it uses two just for the lift cylinders.
19006E87-B7E0-46B5-801D-2CC93B0BD79F.jpeg

My friend that resealed it for me is deceased now, he was a life long tractor mechanic.
C65AB6C5-8173-4625-9DD6-7ED4EE4CBC3A.jpeg

Did you go with a diverter or a true third function?

I went diverter valve, and I too am slowly learning the controls. It'd help if the mud would firm up a bit! You're right about the winch and grapple combo. Sure is slick.

It's a diverter valve. I did ask for another option to have something plugged up in the back. I like the set up.
IMG_20200409_192846737.jpgIMG_20200409_192727470.jpg

Shea

It's a diverter valve. I did ask for another option to have something plugged up in the back. I like the set up.
View attachment 816515

So this rectangular block with all the hoses going into it is an addition to your tractor? What are the pieces with wires attached? Solenoids?

Back