What are some of the things to do once you are in the canopy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am wondering what are some of the things that you do to make the climb more enjoyabe. I usually try to find a limb that I can sit on and take in the view and if the wind is blowing I get to take a small ride in the breeze. I know that some are putting hammocks in the tree and taking a nap.

That is a great idea. I have taken a few pictures before and they are usually interesting.

Before I worked for a tree service, I climbed for fun (thus my screen name). For me, the thrill was in trying to reach as many points in the tree as possible, transferring from one tree to another and eventually walking out as far out on branches as I could get. Lots to do up there, use your imagination and have fun... and be safe.

I do very little limb walking but it is exciting. I keep thinking that a slip and the swing back into the tree trunk might not feel too good. I guess that I am a little chicken and don't want to get bruised and skint up.

As I get better at climbing maybe I will start taking a small hand saw into the tree and trimming a few small limbs to make the tree more enjoyable to climb the next time.

I do very little limb walking but it is exciting. I keep thinking that a slip and the swing back into the tree trunk might not feel too good. I guess that I am a little chicken and don't want to get bruised and skint up.

As I get better at climbing maybe I will start taking a small hand saw into the tree and trimming a few small limbs to make the tree more enjoyable to climb the next time.
If you're doing a stealth climb you might get a list of excuses ready for when the property owner or a LEO arrives.

Well, you could try the little exercise described by Richard Preston on page 199, chapter titled "Windigo", of the book "Wild Trees". But, like climb4fun advised, be sure to wear a helmet. Someday maybe Newtribe will design a special saddle to facilitate that version of "Limbwalking".

I like to find a comfortable spot to sit. Then, if you sit really still for 15 or 20 minutes, the birds start landing in the tree. They might have been scared away when you were climbing up, but now they don't know you're there (or don't expect you to be there). It's awesome to sit there and be surrounded by 20 or 30 birds within a 20 foot radius and they don't even seem to care. It's like they're thinking "if you're up here with us, you're one of us."

I'd love to sleep in a gently (or moderately violently) swaying tree in the wind.

For recreation then sit and swing as the dappled sunlight filters through the canopy and the stress and strain of life ebbs away, I could sit in a tall tree for hours being one with the world.

If practising then take time and plan a work route, getting to all the parts you need to work the tree, practise different scenarios, then think what you could do better.

Trees are great just to be near, in or under

Back