What are the tradeoffs with a modded saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do you honestly give up nothing when you have a saw ported and internally modified? No question ultimate horsepower should be up but what happens to idle rpm, flexibility, kickback, vibration at low rpm or perhaps other considerations I haven't thought of.
Granted there are many levels of modication from quite moderate to extreme and the higher end would be more prone to negatives. What thoughts?

Frank

Geez Frank. You've been around here long enough to know that if someone like Dozer Dan builds you a modified saw, then there are no tradeoffs. Just ask everybody!

I've been asking the same question myself, My issue is longevity I need a min of 500 hrs run time especially with the added cost of the mods. Any answers?

Oh wow Ive run stock saws heavy boy, and I honestly ( even looking at logbooks right now) since around 86-87 it looks to be 630+ on hrs so far except for saws Ive sold . I run gallons some days through my saw, Been cutting heavy 17yrs now. Maintenence is perfect. So thank you so much for the informative answer. Any one else care to maybe answer my pointed question?

After doing a lot of research on this site I had DozerDan build me a couple of saws. There is a lot of info on past threads on this subject. When done, modded saws get treatment that production saws don't get.

Such as:

Exhaust port timing
Intake port timing
Transfer port timing
Polishing
Opening up the muffler ( saw runs cooler )
Change Ignition timing
Carburetor mods
Mill cylinder base for squash band adjustment
Piston modifications

While I haven't owned a modded that long I am confident that longevity is even greater.

Power throughout the whole rpm range is much, much better.

Other than a louder exhaust note, the saws feel the same as new.

Rich thanx I,m not computer savvy still figuring my way around this site. Roger Barnett is constantly hounding me to get a saw bumped up. I want the added ben efits, But my stock saw program has been if nothing else very reliable. I,m close to getting a couple, Maybe a 357xp by Dozer Dan if he gets the time then get a 044 stomped on here locally at Woods in Sedro Woolley

Is there any way you know where the saw was manufactured by the designators in the serial number?

I just got a dremel, wiley, and opened up a 372, now it cuts like that Walkerized one. Come over some time and we'll do your saws.

I also found some carbon build up in some exhaust ports...and have now switched to Mobil MX2T full synthetic mix. Should solve the problem.

Yea what my alter ego said keep with the cheep.... no I mean expensive....oops just use what evr Lambert tells ya too.

Clue less

There are many benifits to a properly modded saw for woods work. But don't get a race modded saw and expect it to last. Besure to let who ever builds it how the saw is to be used.

Later,
Chris

Modded saws

The combo I would tell you to try is a PP346 and the Dolmar PP7900.

If it is a work saw and not a racing saw, you give up little. The modded saws are better. Judging the saw on hours is not right. How much wood is cut in those hours is what you need to look at. If both saws run 500 hours and the modded saw cuts twice as fast in the wood, you'd need to get 1000 hours out of your unmodded saw to do the same amount of wood. That is why hours is not a good way to measure, though the modded work saws should last as long as the unmodded work saws. With the modded saws you will attack bigger wood and not think twice about going for a bigger saw as you would with an unmodded saw. Your other saws will sit, that is the biggest drawback. When you pick up an unmodded saw to cut you'll think it got lazy from sitting because it will not cut anywhere near what the modded saw will. You'd set your unmodded saw down and go for a bigger saw where with a modded saw you just keep on cutting because it can do the job without having to go for a bigger saw.

You do give up busting your butt all day with a combination of saws to do the same work one modded saw can do with ease in less than a day. Which is cheaper? One modded saw or 2-3 saws not modded? One modified will be cheaper to do the same work if measured in wood cut and time it took to cut it.

You need to change your yardstick on how to measure what the saws do to reflect work done not how many hours extra it took you to do the same work with an unmodified saws. You will get more wood cut with the modded saw in the time it takes you to use a combination of unmodified saws. They do have more power so you need to pay attention to what you are doing. If and when it kicks back it has more power, it's not more likely to kickback, it just has more power to kick harder with.

Ok a lot of chainsaw owners keep bragging about illegal modified saws that they use for production –perhaps ignorant of the laws and keep mentioning the saw builder yet the builder typically states that the saw is for competition use. Perhaps the hammer will drop one day on both the chainsaw owner and the builder.

I gather that it is very important to have the builder know what you really are going to use the saw for. If your secret desire is to humiliate every other saw that size you wont be happy with the setup that is required to give you a more powerful, still user friendly, everyday working saw. I know the rush of having something exceptional in one respect can make you overlook a few minor drawbacks. I see a few hints at what they might be as you start to get real racey with a saw. Hey the same thing happens with women. From my experience with hopping up 4 stroke auto engines I know there is no free lunch there.

Frank

What about hearing damage? I have ran stock saws for the last 3 years, about 1000 hours per year. I wear good ear muffs. I have lost considerable hearing ability just using these stock saws. I would be interested in the mod saws if not for the increased noise.
StevIE

Back