What are these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any idea what these guys are & what to spray them with? They've decimated a friends Burning Bushes & Euonymus bushes…

Looks like what we call a Catawaba. Not sure what to use for control.

Look at the abdominal prolegs (the back legs...not front). If there are 5 or fewer pairs of legs it is a caterpillar. If there are 6 or more, it is a sawfly. It is an important difference because different things will kill each.

How big are the shrubs...is it practical to spray the whole thing?

Shrubs range in size from 2'x2' to 4'x4'. There are about 15 shrubs that would need spraying so not a big deal. Just not sure what they are & what to use...

Don't use chemical control. i would apply a trunk barrier coated with horticultural glue then spray the leaves with Bacillus thurigiensis.

You can see an article I wrote about treating caterpillars on poincianas at https://brisbanetrees.com.au/poincianas-and-caterpillars. Excuse the formatting I'm on a mobile phone.

You can use the same system for Euonymus webworm, though bear in mind the trunk barrier is only effective if the webworm can't access the shrub by any other means. So if they are touching a fence you would be wasting your time and if they are touching other shrubs you may need to prune them back.

Where I am the strain of bacillus thuringiensis that kills caterpillars is marketed as dipel but google can confirm that for your area.

Kind of looks like a pine sawfly, google pine sawfly and see if that is what you have. If so you could use Captain Jack’s Deadbug Brew or neem oil if you want to approach it from a mildest means approach.

Back