What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the likes. I went through 3 router bits on this project.
Hey Scheffa is that a neon ballast that you guys are using to burn those patterns?
I seen that years ago It looks cool as heck watching electricity travel across the wood.

Still too much of a ***** to try it for yourself huh? It's amazing you even run a chainsaw. That's gotta be on the threshold of danger for you.

Thanks for all the likes. I went through 3 router bits on this project.
Hey Scheffa is that a neon ballast that you guys are using to burn those patterns?
I seen that years ago It looks cool as heck watching electricity travel across the wood.

I used a transformer from a microwave, incredibly easy to do

Here's a table I just finished. The lighting is terrible. Looks much better in person. Customer wanted it rustic so I left all the saw marks and cleaned it up with a brush sander. It's very smooth to the touch.
341ab98b53e118fb15fe1c6576d215a1.jpg
1be201305011dc1bf4971b026beeb630.jpg
a01166ac24b1d77f74e91e273ed59c9a.jpg
ccac2a045fda5d73b09e4ae1587b7532.jpg

This was a big Doug fir that fell in a storm. I split it in half with my CSM and then squared it up on my BSM. After drying, back on the BSM to mill the parts. The legs are made with massive through tenons pegged with 1" pegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great. Can you please describe this joint for me? I'm not sure if those are dowels, screw caps/plugs, or something else. Maybe it's the camera angle but it appears they are too close to the top and bottom faces of the seat's cross-member/brace/rail/whatever the correct terminology is, to be dowels?

Lovely work particularly like the detailing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Agreed. Also, if that is the customers place and some of the photos are of it in situ, it sits very well in the context of the floor and strikes a nice balance with the light. That floor and dark stained furniture can often close a room down and suck too much light but it looks like that's not an issue and is a actually a really nice fit.

Looks great. Can you please describe this joint for me? I'm not sure if those are dowels, screw caps/plugs, or something else. Maybe it's the camera angle but it appears they are too close to the top and bottom faces of the seat's cross-member/brace/rail/whatever the correct terminology is, to be dowels?

The bench was an afterthought by the customer after the table was nearly completed. I made it happen with the cut offs remaining from milling the table. The joint your seeing is lag bolts with a dowel as a plug/cap. The photos a little deceiving regarding the location of the lag screw. There's plenty of wood there for the lag. Had to leave enough to ensure the lower stretcher didn't split out.
The table is made with true peg joinery. The tenon extends all the way through the leg and it's only secured with dowels and some glue.
Overall I'm happy with the table and do fell it looks good in the space. The lighting just makes it look a little darker than it actually is. I documented each step of the build with pics if it'll help answer any other questions. Although I've been woodworking a long time this was a learning process as I've never left anything rough sawn or with such massive joinery.

Thanks. Precision joints with rough sawn stock is my kind of hair-pulling exercise. Would certainly be a challenge trying not to destroy the look by giving in to the urge to dress everything before marking out the joints or using jigs.

Jigs were definitely my friend on this one. None of the cants were perfectly square, in fact some were very out of square. As long as the faces are flat and I referenced off the same faces every time the joints turned out great.
6c0b805aa532ca51f32fb8508ca95751.jpg

Here's the simple jig I made for cutting the through mortises.
3dfe717cfeb6fce6e66efcc2aa859f26.jpg
d5c7a79946dd6aefe40a8361f40cb53b.jpg

Fit test.
Pretty good considering those tenons are 3" square and the mortise is 7" deep.

Very nice! How tall is it? Was having a little trouble putting it in perspective. You did a great job matching the grain, Joe.

Thanks, it's 38.5 tall, 32" wide (not including the crown).
Jeremiah

Back