What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Got my first ever customer/commissioned project. A friend of a friend wanted a coffee table made and he chose the slab from pics of a cherry tree I milled 2 years ago.

Member htetreau welded me some custom steel legs again and they turned out great. If anyone lives near the Philadelphia area I would highly recommend him if you're in need of any metal work.

BOA

Is that walnut?
Nope - its a very common Eucalypt called Spotted gum.
It's about 2.5x harder than Walnut so its not that easy to work but because of this and often interlocking grain it is not often used for furniture but for construction lumber.
Usually it's much lighter = something like this colour
Rebate.jpg
The big slab was from a tree that was in a park which might have something to do with the darker colour.
Spotted Gum is native to east coast Oz where it grows tall and straight but I've seen loads of it growing in stunted/twisted forms in southern CA and other parts of the world.
South west Australia where I live is considered an international Biodiversity hotspot and Spotted Gun is considered a bit of a weed displacing local native trees.

It really does have a similar grain pattern to walnut but is definitely a little lighter in color. Regardless it
Looks amazing and thanks for the info.

Magnificent Shawn
Is the tops one piece?
Great work there
Always a great feeling to see your work in public.

Thanks! The table tops are made from 2 book matched slabs each. It's 4 sequential slices from the same log. 2 more slices from the outside of that log became bench seats. The table legs and feet are quartersawn 4x4 stock, all sawn from another single log.

Here's another pic that shows off the curly figure a little better:

20160921_182325.jpg

Nice set Shawn. Can I ask how the backs are attached to their supports? I see the dowels but no mortices in the exposed support so am not sure how those bits come together but am keen to learn. Always keen to learn. Thanks for posting the pics. Would be great to see them in-situ if you get the chance for another pic at a later date.

*ETA, after a bad run of heavily used pipe clamps, I gave up on them in favour of sash clamps. Not as quick to set-up but they don't slip like all my beyond-their-use-by-date pipe clamps used to.

Thanks! All of the slabs get screwed to these cleats; which have slotted holes to allow for seasonal movement. And then the dowels connect them to the frame. They can be removed, so the benches can be knocked down to 2 slabs and the frame. The table can also be knocked down to the top, stretcher, and 2 leg assemblies.

20161007_221901.jpg

Regarding the pipe clamps, I agree they're not the best and I usually only use them as a last resort. But it took every single clamp I own assembling those bench frames. I should have used cauls with them too cause the one frame got a little dented.

But they work great for my sliding table bandsaw jig: :D

20160625_233948.jpg 20160626_000421.jpg

Latest posts

Back