What are you cutting at Cmass???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok. Everybody has a couple of days off, anybody cutting anything? Friday I got my new to me MS660. Drove to Ill., brother in laws house. 2 white oaks standing dead. 660 ran like a top. 28" bar, RM stihl chain.

Weapons of choice

woodcuttingatRicks28.jpg

My oldest with 044 on the first tree we knocked down

woodcuttingatRicks24_edited-1.jpg

Two dead soldiers

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/Hautions11
/woodcuttingatRicks26_edited.jpg

Splitter, my two boys, ricks house in background, nice digs

woodcuttingatRicks25_edited.jpg

Days efforts

woodcuttingatRicks29_edited.jpg

OK what is everyone else cutting?

Last edited:
i'll be taking down a huge silver maple in the front yard. it's been there for at least 30 years, but, as with all maples, the roots pop out of the ground, it's hanging over the house and it's getting too big. the base is about 36".

I have no idea, but the mom-in-law has some trees or limbs or something from storm damage down in the yard. She said to bring a chainsaw but I don't expect it'll be too much. Hopefully it'll be big enough to have some entertainment value and not just 3" limbs to drag to the curb.

Ian

Xmas cutting

I'm still chopping on a big pile of Alder from our first of two storms. I did take the little 360 down last night to buzz on some blowdown below the house. Would have been more productive with a bigger saw but I just put a new chain on the 360 and was curious if it would be an improvement. I managed to get it pinched and ended up coming back to the house for another chain. I can tell from your pics that a days production with those two lads to help is a whole lot more than what I produce. I'm guessing the fuel bill to keep them operating at peak efficiency is considerable.

Today I cut up a dead standing elm, perfectly seasoned, and I cut some white ash that had dead roots and had blown over. Got some split and stacked all of it in the basement to burn.

No wood today. But I did get the work car put back together (new brakes and CV joint boots). I've got off 'til the second so I've got some time. Wood on the list:

Split some wood for a friend and probably get him set up with another truck load of standing and fallen dead elm. This is his first year buring wood and he doesn't have a reserve of seasoned wood to work from.

Split up a couple of oaks for my neighbor.

Work up a fallen bur oak on my dad's and pull some more pin oak out of the pile my bro dumped off at dad's.

Don

HA HA Alderman, you are exactly right on keeping those two fueled. I better get a little work out of them otherwise it is a total loss. I even got the youngest daughter running the splitter. Nice gloves! That takes a little more doing then getting the boys in the woods.

woodcuttingatRicks16_edited.jpg

I don't know yet, I gotta cut something with my Husky 61, i'm jonesing to buck up a log or sumtin. its been three hours.

the other night at 2AM I was jonesing to run the saw so i drove from vancouver to the middle of nowhere up a logging road outside of Sqaumish. No one around for 30kms, fired up the saw and cut up some firewood logs i had in my truck, under the 150W x 2 PIAA flood lamps...:dizzy: .

I got it bad :help: i've only cut 5 rounds today.

I'm hoping to fill my pick-up twice tomorrow (already had Christmas celebrations today) with a blown down oak. The tree has to be 60" dbh, I have already filled the truck and landscape trailer once with stuff from the tops. I figure there's at least 3 more loads in there before I get to the trunk.

Daughters 4-ever

hautions11 said:
HA HA Alderman, you are exactly right on keeping those two fueled. I better get a little work out of them otherwise it is a total loss. I even got the youngest daughter running the splitter. Nice gloves! That takes a little more doing then getting the boys in the woods.

You sure are right about getting the boys to help. I have 2 daughters, 16 and 14, both run the splitter better than the wife and my son. My wife gets too distracted if she thinks she hears someone calling her. My daughters will wait till the wood is split and the ram retracted before they even start to look. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

millman

What I got for Christmass

my wife got me this for Christmas and then my 2 brothers and I got 3 loads like this brought out of the woods on Sat. We'll cut and split this up later. We just like to get as much up close in case we finally get some big snow.
Merry Christmas Everyone:bday: Jesus

That's Cheating!!

Edit... be a real man... make fiftylevendozen trips with a wood hauler that sports a real 4 cylinder powerhouse and comes standard with the highly prized manual loading option.

DSC00032.jpg

Last edited:
i got up early, finish tuning my new lil cheap saw (poulan 2150) and went out into the industrial area (no residents) and cut about 300 cookies from a downed fir. (neighbour wanted to stack the log cookies like a wall, with the open spaces in between, in her garden)
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ < you get the idea

Tomorrow morning Im going up by Nebraska to my mothers house to start dismantling a pretty good size locust that the base of the trunk is ate out by some kinda bug, probably carpenter ants. Had two people supposed to help me, but they backed out at the last minute.:mad: So I guess its me and my 026 Pro. This baby is still standing, maybe 50 feet tall. Im gonna post some pictures if I can figure out how :dizzy:

x-mas cutting

you tell them haywire ,,,:hmm3grin2orange: , i managed to get a load of mixed wood on my 3/4 f250, it would of been nice to have another person help but when the wood is free and easy to get , ya gotta get it while you can. hopefully soon i will have a larger saw, it would make it easier, but my 18" poulan did great;)

Amen Haywire. We were using the even more highly priced one wheeled wood transpotation device with the highly prized manual loading option and the even more valuable manual dump option! The two handeled single wheeled transport device was augmented by the terrain that was up hill to the wood pile while full and downhill while empty. We may tackle that last oak today.

hautions11 said:
Amen Haywire. We were using the even more highly priced one wheeled wood transpotation device with the highly prized manual loading option and the even more valuable manual dump option! The two handeled single wheeled transport device was augmented by the terrain that was up hill to the wood pile while full and downhill while empty. We may tackle that last oak today.

Ya needs to take that wood pile and move to Oz. Then it will be downhill loaded.

Put my saws up in early Nov. My cutting area is in a bottom and well off the road - I don't need to be getting stuck in there. Having withdrawal symptoms so I took a drive out there to see how to tackle it next season. Actually hoping that that big windstorm here in the NW had put down a few of those big ones as I hate falling. This is a patch that a fire went through so the stuff is all dead or dying and beginning to be rotten at the base. Not nice at all for falling. No luck. Not one blowdown.

Harry K

Here are a couple pics of the Locust I dropped this morning. Crawled up in that sucker and started limbing it, then my buddy asked why I didnt have the city electric do it for me, as the tree was fairly close to the power lines. So we called them, and they showed up and took the whole top out for me, leaving only the trunk, which we took down. Had a fun time of it, too:rock:

Back