What are you cutting at Cmass???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is locust by the bark in my above pics. My uncle tells me its "Red Locust". Anyone know for sure? It has no thorns. Makes the long bean shaped pods for fruit. It oughtta be good firewood, most locust is from my experience.

Bowtie said:
I know this is locust by the bark in my above pics. My uncle tells me its "Red Locust". Anyone know for sure? It has no thorns. Makes the long bean shaped pods for fruit. It oughtta be good firewood, most locust is from my experience.

Fortunately most Locust around here doesn't have thorns on it:rock: Season it good, eight months or so, and enjoy, it burns pretty nicely, similar to Hackberry.
Andy

We have black locust here. There aren't any thorns on the main trunk or most decent branches, but those damn little suckers that grown off the trunk and branches will tear you up. Also when the stump it cut 10000 starts start growing off the stump, and those have some nasty thorns.

Honey locust...or ah gee...I think that's what has the thorns all around...but... that may jest be what we call em here. I agree after cutting black locust- next year lots ov stubly thorns. I would rather have locust then almost any other wood;)
IMO it needs to season at least 18 months.

how much firewood can one man cut and split in one 12 hour shift

SRT-Tech said:
i got up early, finish tuning my new lil cheap saw (poulan 2150) and went out into the industrial area (no residents) and cut about 300 cookies from a downed fir. (neighbour wanted to stack the log cookies like a wall, with the open spaces in between, in her garden)
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ < you get the idea
how much firewood can one man cut and split in a 12 hour shift

Honey locust...or ah gee...I think that's what has the thorns all around...but... that may jest be what we call em here. I agree after cutting black locust- next year lots ov stubly thorns. I would rather have locust then almost any other wood;)
IMO it needs to season at least 18 months.

You're right-what he's got looks like Honeylocust. Good firewood-not quite as good as Black Locust, but good. Lots of water when it's green, so yes, it takes awhile to season.

Wood pile and new ms310

Well, I have 4 days left of shutdown time off and I better get started. I took the old Echo in for some service today, it was throwing chains and I was having to adjust it about every 10 min. Talked to the Stihl dealer and ended up with a new MS310 with an 18" bar, extra chain, gallon of oil and a 6 pack of engine mix.:hmm3grin2orange: I hope you guys are right about the 310, everyone on the site pretty much likes it. In the pile is quite a lot of oak. Have a happy new year!!

Millman

Here are a couple pics of the Locust I dropped this morning. Crawled up in that sucker and started limbing it, then my buddy asked why I didnt have the city electric do it for me, as the tree was fairly close to the power lines. So we called them, and they showed up and took the whole top out for me, leaving only the trunk, which we took down. Had a fun time of it, too:rock:
Hey Bowtie , What part of Nebraska was that in ?

well we cut three big pickup loads yesterday

Two big loads of Ash and one whopper load of hickory.The hickory was green , yet the ash was standing dead.

That's Cheating!!

Edit... be a real man... make fiftylevendozen trips with a wood hauler that sports a real 4 cylinder powerhouse and comes standard with the highly prized manual loading option.

DSC00032.jpg

Had to update this... I traded off the tracker this morning for something a little more suitable for firewood. 04 Ford F150 Heritage. 4x4, factory trailering package, vinyl bench seat and floorboard, crank windows, manual door locks, 4.6l V8, king cab short bed. I've got a bit of a learning curve with parking this thing. It's my first full size truck. A few years ago I had a Chevy S-10 and a Toyota small truck but there's not much comparison. The first thing I've found that I don't like is the $65 price tag for a spare key, it's got dang-fangled chips in the keys. --Ian

Truck.jpg

Back