What are you guys doing per day??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toddppm said:
Is that on the job time or per man per hour for the whole day from start to finish?
Whole day. We work mon.-Thurs. 10 hr shifts, Fridays optional when there is o.t. to pick up

Mind if I ask what the average guy makes per hour on these crews?
Depend on expersince. Ranges from 12-35"ish" theres really no wage cap, it just depends on how valuable you make yourself and he pays attention to production numbers. If he sees that certain groups worK well together he tries to keep those groups together. Hes a smart guy and hes actually really great to work for. Medical Benifits, bonuses, vacation time, holidays paid, decent equipment. Almost like a union job but not paying union dues.

I try to get $1500 -$2000 a day. I try to get $50 a hour per man and per piece of equipment that goes to the job.

The biggest problem with our industry is there is tons of low ballers. Mechanics all basically charge the same price and if all tree guys would get on the same page we would all make a great living. For example. I bid a 10 pine tree removal plus stumps job for $3500. Someone else gave them a price of $5000. The guy that did the job did it for $1500. I talked to him and I would hope it made him sick thinking about how much money he left on the table.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I don't even get out of bed unless I'm gonna make $1332.17. That's a 7 hour workday too, no lunch, no breaks nothing but slave. I made $1332.14 one day last week and there were no bonuses that month, should have seen the sad faces that payday. I bet that crew picks it up the next week, lol I'm such a slave driver, no bonuses over 3 cents. I love the internet, puppies, and a blue sky.

We work in northern Ohio also, been here doing this for 23 yrs now, try for 1100 day, bucket chip truck three guys. Crane goes, gotta up charge for that. Best thing we ever did was pull all ads from yellow pages, papers, etc. Sure you do lots of estimates, but how many jobs do you get from the price shoppers? Get all the pro certs you can, creative marketing to the clients you want to work for, show the advantages of professional tree care and you will be happier. Let the landscapers, ladder and pickup guys mutilate trees and raise our insurance rates, they won't be around long, and won't get repeat work or referrals. Oh and to some of the other posters above, we def were making more yrs back too. Some reason our industry seems like the go to for everyone to make " easy money".

I try to get $1500 -$2000 a day. I try to get $50 a hour per man and per piece of equipment that goes to the job.

The biggest problem with our industry is there is tons of low ballers. Mechanics all basically charge the same price and if all tree guys would get on the same page we would all make a great living. For example. I bid a 10 pine tree removal plus stumps job for $3500. Someone else gave them a price of $5000. The guy that did the job did it for $1500. I talked to him and I would hope it made him sick thinking about how much money he left on the table.

But was he at 1500 because he has no insurance or was he legit and just bid it low.

I am 100% with you but I don't want to see the guys without insurance and ppe....getting more for doing less in the way of being professionals.

I don't even get out of bed unless I'm gonna make $1332.17. That's a 7 hour workday too, no lunch, no breaks nothing but slave. I made $1332.14 one day last week and there were no bonuses that month, should have seen the sad faces that payday. I bet that crew picks it up the next week, lol I'm such a slave driver, no bonuses over 3 cents. I love the internet, puppies, and a blue sky.
Sounds like you have a great work force and some people willing to go to bat for you......screw them over .03 cents?.....sounds like you are just taking advantage of them IMHO.....at least have the balls to round up to an even dollar amount....lol

I dont own the business i work for but im pretty high on the totem pole and good freinds with the owner.

Our target is 4000 a day, but thats with 6 guys, a crane, 40 yard chip truck, 18 inch chipper, big skid steer, bucket truck, and a 100+ yard loader truck.

Were the largest tree service in our area and do all the work for the two larger towns that surround us. Were the only tree service with a crane as well.

What takes most tree services 2 days, takes us 2 hours. ( In mid alabama anyway.)
$4000 with a crane and 6 guys? What type of crane?

But was he at 1500 because he has no insurance or was he legit and just bid it low.

I am 100% with you but I don't want to see the guys without insurance and ppe....getting more for doing less in the way of being professionals.
He has liability insurance but he doesn't carry workers comp for the guys that work for him. In pa it's a criminal offense to not have workers comp. He had a climber fall out of a tree and break his leg last year. The guys just real unsafe. He bids all of his work super low.

$4000 with a crane and 6 guys? What type of crane?

Its a 36,000lb 70' altec I believe. Its the perfect size we literally use it on every single job. It surprises people the places we put that bad boy. We had a terex that had the wire which ran outside the boom (didn't work very well) we bought this new one at an auction and didn't pay **** for it.

We cut a lot of pines, gums, and oak trees down here. Most pines we ride the ball to the top, strap it, cut it in half, winch it to the chipper, and chip the whole top, drop the log, cut it to length, load it up and hit the road. Oaks ,and gums are the same way unless they crown out. Then we just pick whole leaders and stick them in the chipper.

You know I am not one for bigger government but I would not mind having them more involved in our industry...if it would allow me to play the game fairly and make some money. I am tired of just getting by or trying to find ways to cheat the system like others. I would like to be able to afford to have first aid kits on every truck and keep them updated, I want to train my guys, I want to take my time and rope everything, I want to hire a crane in instead of dropping it whole and hoping it all goes ok. I feel like I have one legit competitor. I would love to pay my guys with cash every week and then pocket 20% I would save on taxes and workers comp.

Its a 36,000lb 70' altec I believe. Its the perfect size we literally use it on every single job. It surprises people the places we put that bad boy. We had a terex that had the wire which ran outside the boom (didn't work very well) we bought this new one at an auction and didn't pay **** for it.

We cut a lot of pines, gums, and oak trees down here. Most pines we ride the ball to the top, strap it, cut it in half, winch it to the chipper, and chip the whole top, drop the log, cut it to length, load it up and hit the road. Oaks ,and gums are the same way unless they crown out. Then we just pick whole leaders and stick them in the chipper.

You use a crane on a japanese maple prune? Wow.

If you've been on this forum for a good while, you come to understand that so many just blow smoke, on here. They post these rates and/or make statements like, "Man, I'm only getting $4000 per day, now, and I can't keep making ends meet if this keeps up!" Knock a zero off, and you might be close to the actual $$ these guys are taking in, daily. Just figure it out, and you'll arrive at more truthful figures. Sure, some days you might pull in $3-5 G's, but daily? Not unless you're in on the Big O / Big Green sweetheart contracts with municipalities and their surrounding utilities. I have pm'd some of the guys posting larger daily takes, and when you start questioning them with prosecuting attorney type interrogatives, they knuckle under and/or end up telling me that they can't discuss particulars. That's because they are true bs artists up until they can't keep pumping it out. One guy, one of the more truthful fellows on here, openly admitted to me that he posted highly inflated figures just to intimidate others on here. With that in mind, take some/most of the posted figures in here as the output of blowhards and little else.

I am pulling 6k a day like a boss
with a Nissan exterra and single axel trailer

Interesting post. I'm not worried about the uninsured, in my area it's the legitimate competition that is driving the price down. My main competitor will show up with his 28t crane, 18" chipper, log truck, dump truck, bucket, and 4 guys for $2200 a day. You would think that he is working himself out-of-business but he's still here. My plan is to diversify so that I no longer have to rely on tree work as my sole income. I have been running my business for 8 years and have a good equipment and reputation but am I tired of the race to the bottom.

Interesting post. I'm not worried about the uninsured, in my area it's the legitimate competition that is driving the price down. My main competitor will show up with his 28t crane, 18" chipper, log truck, dump truck, bucket, and 4 guys for $2200 a day. You would think that he is working himself out-of-business but he's still here. My plan is to diversify so that I no longer have to rely on tree work as my sole income. I have been running my business for 8 years and have a good equipment and reputation but am I tired of the race to the bottom.

Just how does he drive 5 trucks with 4 guys? $2200 sounds about right, $800/900 labor and cost. $600 equipment cost. $500/$600 profit. Even $400 profit a day is over 100k a year. I can live on that. Only 20% of all america earns over $100k. That's one in 5 people. I love the internet, and blue skies!

We work in northern Ohio also, been here doing this for 23 yrs now, try for 1100 day, bucket chip truck three guys. Crane goes, gotta up charge for that. Best thing we ever did was pull all ads from yellow pages, papers, etc. Sure you do lots of estimates, but how many jobs do you get from the price shoppers? Get all the pro certs you can, creative marketing to the clients you want to work for, show the advantages of professional tree care and you will be happier. Let the landscapers, ladder and pickup guys mutilate trees and raise our insurance rates, they won't be around long, and won't get repeat work or referrals. Oh and to some of the other posters above, we def were making more yrs back too. Some reason our industry seems like the go to for everyone to make " easy money".
I am both happy and sad to read this post. Glad that I am not fooling myself about what a crew can get in north central ohio but kinda sad that its true. I know some outfits here that get 2500-3500 a day but thats with a full arsenal. Bucket,crane,log trailer,big chip truck, good size stumper or two,and an 18 inch chipper w/ knuckle boom. So getting around 1000 a day with a chip truck,12 inch chipper,smaller dump truck and a smaller stumper I figure I am doing pretty ok all things considered. I also agree that the phone book ads suck. Everything would be a lot better if it wasnt for this dam workers comp. That **** cleans me out just when things are looking good. seems like a racket......

Back