What are you using to move your slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawyer Rob. reread my last post. I said dollar for dollar the skidsteere is the best for (ME) . I bet you have a lot more invested in your tractor than I do in the skidsteere . I bet you are n the neighbor hood of $50K for your tractor if not more.not me I got the skidsteere backhoe bucket and forks for a fraction of the cost or your tractor .PlusI can load everything up on my equipment trailerand haul it down the road not your big tractor.

I reread your last post, it still says your skid steer will go through more mud than a 4wd tractor. lol All i can say is, it must be one small 4wd tractor for that to be true, because i've found that FAR from reality.

Also, i'll take that bet you offered to me that i have 50K or more into my loader tractor. I bought it new, and i don't have near that into it. A person can always buy a decent sized MFWD (4x4) tractor with a loader that isn't beat, and 5K will do that, if you look around. Still a lot of money, but it's worth something when you sell it too, so it's really just an investment.

I do haul my tractor to the woods with my pickup, to skid/load logs from time to time, "if" there's enough logs to make it worth while. I also use it for custom jobs for neighbors too, like tilling fields, leveling some dirt, plowing snow, or what ever a customer wants/needs.

orig.jpg

I can drive to the job, make a few hundred and drive back home... Being so versitile, i can take all kinds of jobs to get a large return on my investment.

It's really nice to beable to drive to my woodlot, load some logs and pull them right to the mill,

orig.jpg

Anyway i've made money on every tractor i've bought/sold after useing it for a time, they are fairly easy to sell, if you don't buy junk to begin with.

Lastly, i do understand no one tool is best for everyone so you don't need to get too excited about my comments in this post.

Rob

I bought a skid steer before my present loader tractor. It didn't come close to lifting enough, tore up the ground around the mill , and was poor in mud, (which is what i had around the mill from the skidsteerr) i soon got rid of it.

A tractor has just so many more uses!

orig.jpg

If you can only have one, save for a good tractor.

Rob
What size/model tractor do you have?

Well that is why it is your opinion, the fork truck nose dived didn't look so safe either only an idiot would flop a fork truck with a 24" log. Sometimes common sense is the biggest key to safety so don't worry about my safety when you need to work on yours:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice grapple Frank ! Did you fab. it ? I've been thinking about one to add to my FEL W/pallet forks to move logs to the mill.

Steve

Nice grapple Frank ! Did you fab. it ? I've been thinking about one to add to my FEL W/pallet forks to move logs to the mill.

Steve

No I actually bought something for once! I bought it brand new for around 1900.00, it is a nicely built grapple. If I had to do it over again I would have bought a smaller one, that one is 72" wide and is about to big for the machine but it is worth it weight in gold. I've made some decent money owning that thing. If you want to build one I can send you a Acad file if you have some one local that has a CNC burn table that can take a DWF file. I drew one up for the local county weld school for the kids to make as a project. I am however making a land plane for the Bobcat right now, I was to cheap to buy that:msp_biggrin:

No I actually bought something for once! I bought it brand new for around 1900.00, it is a nicely built grapple. If I had to do it over again I would have bought a smaller one, that one is 72" wide and is about to big for the machine but it is worth it weight in gold. I've made some decent money owning that thing. If you want to build one I can send you a Acad file if you have some one local that has a CNC burn table that can take a DWF file. I drew one up for the local county weld school for the kids to make as a project. I am however making a land plane for the Bobcat right now, I was to cheap to buy that:msp_biggrin:

Sounds cool Frank ! I would have to check out the locals to see who has a CNC plasma cutter. There is a cool Tractor site that has a lot of plans that guys share. Did you design a "single" ? What is a land plane ? :msp_confused:

Steve

Sounds cool Frank ! I would have to check out the locals to see who has a CNC plasma cutter. There is a cool Tractor site that has a lot of plans that guys share. Did you design a "single" ? What is a land plane ? :msp_confused:

Steve

I'd do it at work for you but the shipping would be eeeexxxxxpensive! Land Plane is used for leveling. This is the one I'm making.

http://youtu.be/LFrLPaRd-aU

Well that is why it is your opinion, the fork truck nose dived didn't look so safe either only an idiot would flop a fork truck with a 24" log. Sometimes common sense is the biggest key to safety so don't worry about my safety when you need to work on yours:hmm3grin2orange:
Thing is that it takes more b@!!$ to admit a mistake than it does to bust someone else's over something they admit. I really could care less how many trucks you can lift with your bobcat, it's not a good tool for lifting long logs of decent diameter on rough terrain, grapple or not, it is just not good tool (not to mention it only lifts about 6-7 feet). For me the skid steer is probably more useful, but not for lifting logs. A bobcat is what it is, it's way better at excavating in small restricted areas. All of our mileage varies, and as Rob points out there is no one tool for all jobs.
That is a sweet trailer Rob! Did you fab that yourself?

I'm with you on the tractor, it's a way better tool for the job of moving logs.

I would love to have any type of equipment that would pick a log. Since I don't, I slab them where thy fall and carry or drag the stuff out. Gotta weld me up a good 4 wheeled log arch.

Thing is that it takes more b@!!$ to admit a mistake than it does to bust someone else's over something they admit. I really could care less how many trucks you can lift with your bobcat, it's not a good tool for lifting long logs of decent diameter on rough terrain, grapple or not, it is just not good tool (not to mention it only lifts about 6-7 feet). For me the skid steer is probably more useful, but not for lifting logs. A bobcat is what it is, it's way better at excavating in small restricted areas. All of our mileage varies, and as Rob points out there is no one tool for all jobs.

I'll give you that, it does take balls to call someone else out on being unsafe when you post a picture of a forktruck burried on it nose! That's cool you admitted your mistake, but don't bust my b*lls by acting all important and give me the third degree on how unsafe I am when I've never flipped or flopped any piece of equipment that I've operated. It all falls back to common sense and accidents do happen but most of the time can be prevented.

You guys were saying how Skid Steers can't handle any weight so that is why I posted a picture of me moving that VW truck, I called BS to it. I moved that truck just fine, I took it off the gooseneck and put it in the barn... I'm beginning think you may have either never operated one or haven't operated a modern one and that you are speaking blindly. Bobcats will reach almost 12 feet not the 6-7 you mention, there are new Bobcats now that will lift 8500#, some have 2 speed hydro units that will travel 12 MPH so if you have to travel distances. I'm not dumb enough to think a Skid steer is the only piece of equipment for every situation as I am in the steel construction, but they are probably the most versatile. A SS with track over tires will make it a tank in the mud.

http://youtu.be/ex5A4KWOuQU

Last edited:
Here is some pictures of a job that we did near Purdue University clearing a 100' wide path about a mile and half in the woods. All done with one GEHL skidsteer and a dozer to pull the chipper. This was a very muddy job with lots of terrain changes.

purdue005.jpg

purdue015.jpg

purdue014-1.jpg

purdue008.jpg

pics of the land plane build would be great . This winter I plan to build one my self.I was thinking of useing a piece of heavy duty cat walk that I have laying around . the plane would not be used very often so I think it would last me a long time.

You guys were saying how Skid Steers can't handle any weight so that is why I posted a picture of me moving that VW truck, I called BS to it. I moved that truck just fine, I took it off the gooseneck and put it in the barn... I'm beginning think you may have either never operated one or haven't operated a modern one and that you are speaking blindly. Bobcats will reach almost 12 feet not the 6-7 you mention, there are new Bobcats now that will lift 8500#, some have 2 speed hydro units that will travel 12 MPH so if you have to travel distances. I'm not dumb enough to think a Skid steer is the only piece of equipment for every situation as I am in the steel construction, but they are probably the most versatile. A SS with track over tires will make it a tank in the mud.
I can see reasoning with you is like trying to get a pig to dance.

And how much would one of those new bobcat's cost Einstein? Bobcat's are not stable enough, nor do they lift high enough for most log work, even moving large logs around. The machine itself just doesn't weigh enough. Those are only tanks in the mud when your not lifting anything except a bucket of dirt. And lifting is not moving. As I said, I could care less how many trucks you lift, means nothing for logging.

Hope your getting a lot done with your Bobcat today, but suspect your sitting on the couch with a beer.

Here is some pictures of a job that we did near Purdue University clearing a 100' wide path about a mile and half in the woods. All done with one GEHL skidsteer and a dozer to pull the chipper. This was a very muddy job with lots of terrain changes.
They are great for that, and in fact a GEHL turbo was used to clean my yard up twice. Incredible machine, just not suited to lift big logs.

That is exactly what they are good at, but look how short all those logs are that were cut down, looks like they almost cut them into cookie size. lol

Nothing wrong with that, the GEHL/Mustang is a great machine (same machine actually).

The tracks are way better than the tires, in my experience. With the tracks they are like a tank, but with tires they of ok...all our mileage varies.

I can see reasoning with you is like trying to get a pig to dance.

And how much would one of those new bobcat's cost Einstein? Bobcat's are not stable enough, nor do they lift high enough for most log work, even moving large logs around. The machine itself just doesn't weigh enough. Those are only tanks in the mud when your not lifting anything except a bucket of dirt. And lifting is not moving. As I said, I could care less how many trucks you lift, means nothing for logging.

Hope your getting a lot done with your Bobcat today, but suspect your sitting on the couch with a beer.

I think you need to change your username to Traditional Fool:D I think you are one of those guys that think you know everything, the been there done that kind, but in actuality you have probably run one once and now you know everything. How many hours have you spent in a Skidsteer? It seems everytime you post you show me how damn dumb you are. If you have had any real experience you would know what they are capable of. First you tell me they can't lift anything, I can show that there are skidsteers that can lift 8500 lbs, but you still say they can't, then you say they only lift 6-7 feet but most I know of lift at least 12 ft. Then you say that they can't go through mud so I show you one that is ball deep in mud trucking along. SO now you change the argument to $$$.... And where did the logging argument come from....who the fark said anything about logging? (look at the pictures I posted, all them logs were done with the GEHL)I have literally moved hundreds upon hundred of logs with mine, clear cut fields and fence rows and have never had one complaint. I've been hired by people with big FEL to do that because they can't get it done like I can. But Traditional Fool knows better...GMAFB:rock:

BTW... Here is what I have done today, I got the backhoe in the barn for the winter, put the boat in the shed, turned out a tapered shaft on the lathe for a guy and now I'm getting ready for the kids soccer game. And I don't drink and Indiana doesn't sell it on Sundays if I wanted.

pics of the land plane build would be great . This winter I plan to build one my self.I was thinking of useing a piece of heavy duty cat walk that I have laying around . the plane would not be used very often so I think it would last me a long time.

When I get the rest of the material rounds up I'll start a thread and do a build. Here is the plates I have cut right now, I"m going to buy a mount plate and the rest will be drops from work when I find them. I'm going to put the scrafing teeth on a shaft with a hydraulic cylinder so I can rotate them up when I don't want them. The tall plates are the ones that will mount to the Bobtach plate and the smaller ones are the ones on the end.

traditionalfool001.jpg

traditionalfool002.jpg

Here is a video of the one I'm making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFrLPaRd-aU&feature=youtu.be

For S&G's tonight I went out and took some pics of the bobcat in action. From what I can figure the log weighed between 1500-1800 # on a log calculator. The grapple bucket weighs a good 900# plus the extra bar material I welded in the bottom, so probably a good 1000#. I made a video if it traveling to my shed. I think this is a real piece of wood a hobby miller would really mill and it shows it will handle the task at hand.

http://youtu.be/1UDKjFvm6hw

traditionalfool011.jpg

traditionalfool010.jpg

traditionalfool013.jpg

Here is pics of the tree when I dropped it last fall.

teepee005.jpg

teepee012.jpg

teepee009.jpg

Last edited:
Heck, my brothers little Kubota would pick that short little log up, and walk right away with it... lol

Rob

The REAL question is, will that deere go through more mud than your skidsteer????
orig.gif

Rob

Latest posts

Back