What are your dream trucks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CT arborist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
I like the older diesel trucks since are easier to work on and of course cost less and are very reliable but most specifically I think a dt466 or Ford with cumming engines would be great plus I love how they look. Currently my bucket truck and chip truck are Freightliner Fl50 and Fl80 White which I love but they do have Caterpillar engines which have no wet sleeves which would make a harder rebuild if I ever have to. Dt466 has wet sleeves and I think Cummings does too. Again I love the way international and Fords look like the pics below, last two pics are my actual chip truck and bucket truck. What about you guys what are your dream trucks?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200216-110353_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200216-110353_eBay.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20200213-173053_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200213-173053_Chrome.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20200212-214413_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200212-214413_eBay.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20191125-180728_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20191125-180728_eBay.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200113_145236.jpg
    20200113_145236.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200121_101253.jpg
    20200121_101253.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
Hello Everyone.
I like the older diesel trucks since are easier to work on and of course cost less and are very reliable but most specifically I think a dt466 or Ford with cumming engines would be great plus I love how they look. Currently my bucket truck and chip truck are Freightliner Fl50 and Fl80 White which I love but they do have Caterpillar engines which have no wet sleeves which would make a harder rebuild if I ever have to. Dt466 has wet sleeves and I think Cummings does too. Again I love the way international and Fords look like the pics below, last two pics are my actual chip truck and bucket truck. What about you guys what are your dream trucks?

Your equipment looks nice. I like your style, looks very pro for the $’s. Is that a 200xp or a 250?

That green one...the 3rd picture. I think I might want to buy it. Seems like a reasonable price if I'm talking a "dream truck".
:envy:

On a more serious note, I don't have a picture of what I want, because I'm not sure it exists. I've been pondering this for a while...ya'll tell me if it is a dumb idea:

Start with an extended cab. I keep too much equipment in the truck to have a standard cab. Some of the older Isuzu cabover trucks had extended cab. I think I'd like the maneuverability of those.

Now to the unique part:Need about 12' of open chassis behind the cab. Behind the cab sits a PTO-driven chipper (something like this, modified to run off of the truck's PTO: http://www.salsco.com/products/comm...pto-hydraulic-feed-chippers/model-810pto.html)

That would blow chips into the front of a +/-8' long chip box that dumps off of the back.

I do a lot of pruning and almost no removals so this would be plenty of capacity.

It would allow me to bring 1 truck with no trailer into tight spots. Or I could bring a trailer with a mini loader or a tracked lift and still only have 1 truck & trailer on site.

I'v also pondered a grapple truck like @tree MDS posted - maybe a touch smaller instead of anything to do with a chipper. Same idea...no need to tow a chipper around.

Or this:
img.axd

I cannot give an actual picture of my dream truck because no one has built one yet that I know of. The bases of the vehicle would be a dodge 5500 4x4 chassis and axles. On that extended chassis, it will have a 8x 10 flatbed with rear under bed mounted mile marker hydraulic winch. It will have a 2003 ford 4door cab, custom cummins 24 valve converted to a mechanical P7100 pump, feed into a 10 speed road ranger, and a 70's ford np205 transfer case, using a custom transmission adaptor. Top it off with dual 5 inch stacks and large push front bumper.

I’ve been digging on something like this beast lately.. far as dream trucks go.
View attachment 798694

I’ve been digging on something like this beast lately.. far as dream trucks go.
View attachment 798694
That is beautiful! For me this would work later in the future when I can afford it of course and also having a resposible knowledgeble worker with CDL because as the owner it's hard for us to do all the right work all the time. Specially when we get old lol.

Your equipment looks nice. I like your style, looks very pro for the $’s. Is that a 200xp or a 250?
Thank you! I do like my fleet. I also have a nice 1984 white international that I

Thank you! I also have a nice 1984 international that I use for trailer and wood. It's a 200xp.

Attachments

• 15819580671563665591153296791141.jpg
    15819580671563665591153296791141.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 23
That green one...the 3rd picture. I think I might want to buy it. Seems like a reasonable price if I'm talking a "dream truck".
:envy:
Lol I called before I bought my FL50 and I think it's under 20k.

For most part diesel powered trucks are illegal in California. In some cases one can go to jail for operating a diesel powered truck registered or not. I have a gas powered dump truck that is old, but registered. So I guess that is my dream truck. Thanks

Bandit used to make a chipper/dump box combo as a trailer. Maybe start looking at something like that and consider mounting it on a truck. I think you’d need a little bigger chassis than the one you posted up there though. Lol

That is a 6" chipper...and has its own engine. Advantage of PTO is one less engine. Yes...more wear on the truck engine, but it should be at a relatively low RPM, so not too much for a decent diesel to handle..

Hey...there is such a thing!

Why doesn't anyone still make one of those?

Active trees Australia made a version on a forest unit bit like this pictured as i cant seem to find my picture of the unit

no one i know yet have hooked chipper to PTO of truck farm tractors yes but not truck gear box

This unique piece of machinery allows crews better access and eliminates the need to tow a chipper behind. It comprises a 16T Hino truck, a 9” Chipper on a hydraulic Tail-Lift platform and a chipper bin that tips/opens to both sides.

at37gc-1024x609.jpg

Active trees Australia made a version on a forest unit bit like this pictured as i cant seem to find my picture of the unit

no one i know yet have hooked chipper to PTO of truck farm tractors yes but not truck gear box

This unique piece of machinery allows crews better access and eliminates the need to tow a chipper behind. It comprises a 16T Hino truck, a 9” Chipper on a hydraulic Tail-Lift platform and a chipper bin that tips/opens to both sides.

View attachment 799121

I could fill that chip box with the sawdust in my finger nails at the end of the day.

I could fill that chip box with the sawdust in my finger nails at the end of the day.

yeah its small size is down side,, the rig design & intended target jobs are hit and run fault or missed trim jobs.. typically 2 man crew cover large area and then the efficiency of a single do all truck adds up more.. In the city ops its good for ease of access / parking and in country can spray chip to the bush

yeah its small size is down side,, the rig design & intended target jobs are hit and run fault or missed trim jobs.. typically 2 man crew cover large area and then the efficiency of a single do all truck adds up more.. In the city ops its good for ease of access / parking and in country can spray chip to the bush
Be a good dedicated pruning rig too.

Back