What brand of 2 stroke oil are you using ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of 2 stroke oil are you using ?

• Echo Red Armour

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Stihl premium 2-stroke oil

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Motomaster 2 stroke oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Echo Power blend 2 stroke oil

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Trufuel 50:1

• Trufuel 40:1

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Stihl motomix

• Other

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The make of 2 stroke oil isn’t really that important (the known brands are all acceptable) so long as it’s at the recommended ratio and designed for air cooled engines. How the engine is tuned, what RPM it runs at and how the engine is operated has much more affect on carbon build up and spooge.

I have a friend who runs Amsoil Saber 16:1 in his 2 stroke rc boats. His engines are literally carbon free, even after a lot of hours. Though he runs them around 17,000 to 19,000 rpm and tunes them so they are 1/16 of a turn back off max power fully loaded - right on the limit.. he’s never had one seize or score though.

Yet you can run Saber at 80:1 and get carbon everywhere if you aren’t loading the engine up correctly, it’s not tuned correctly or gotten to the optimum operating temperature and held there for a while.

My advice is find an oil that doesn’t give you a headache, that is within your budget and mix it somewhere around 40:1. It doesn’t hurt to go a bit higher in oil content with mineral oils.

I won’t use anything but Amsoil Saber now, not because it’s some amazing oil (I don’t buy their stupid hype and biased testing) but it smells nice when burnt, burns cleanly and doesn’t give me a headache @ 40:1 - That’s all I need - the colour is nice too.

Back