What can I do with 5 full grown trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoPete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm wondering how to plan for woodworking projects and firewood from 5 full grown trees about 70 feet tall. 3 are Cherry, 1 is Ash I believe and the largest is an Oak. I need to take them down in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for advice on how to cut up the wood so I can make a dinning room table out of it one day in the near future. I also would like to turn bowls or other projects on a lathe I'm looking at. I plan to buy all the equipment needed over the next 6 months. I plan to take the wood into a lumber yard to have it dried and planed if that's best but not sure how to have the wood cut and stored since that the 1st step. I signed up for a woodworking class with a wood craftsman with 30 years experience to help me get started, the only thing is the class starts about a month after the trees need to come down. The main thing is I dont want to cut the wood too small or make a mistake that should of been avoided. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete

Are they dead or green ? I'm not real experienced but I know you must seal the ends to prevent checking. Commercial Sealant probably is better than parrifin or paint. You will do better if the log is supported well up off the ground as well and then curing times hopefully someone else can chime in on that info.

Are you sure the lumber yard will mill the trees? Any concerns with foreign objects (nails, fence wire, etc.) in them? As for cutting size, you can glue up for width but not length so don't cut them short. Narrower boards generally dry flatter than wide boards but it also depends on the species and grain. Flat sawn usually warps more than quarter-sawn as it dries but kiln drying will reduce the chances as well. I don't know how wide the lumber yard can cut but if you haven't already, consider leaving the natural edge on some slabs for table tops. Sounds like you going to get a lot of nice wood to work with.
Good luck and work SAFELY.

I'm wondering how to plan for woodworking projects and firewood from 5 full grown trees about 70 feet tall. 3 are Cherry, 1 is Ash I believe and the largest is an Oak. I need to take them down in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for advice on how to cut up the wood so I can make a dinning room table out of it one day in the near future. I also would like to turn bowls or other projects on a lathe I'm looking at. I plan to buy all the equipment needed over the next 6 months. I plan to take the wood into a lumber yard to have it dried and planed if that's best but not sure how to have the wood cut and stored since that the 1st step. I signed up for a woodworking class with a wood craftsman with 30 years experience to help me get started, the only thing is the class starts about a month after the trees need to come down. The main thing is I dont want to cut the wood too small or make a mistake that should of been avoided. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete
@ChicagoPete in my experience with Ash cut a couple weeks after White oak; the Ash 37" wide live edge has almost all air dried without much in the way of cupping, except the slice furthest from the pith. On the other hand the oak cupped on each of three slabs 2 3/4" slabs trimmed 5" from each side to 26" wide, even the two which in effect were 1/4 sawn from each being opposite side of the pith cut.
Having the oak kiln dried is recommended, if you aren't in a rush to use the Ash air drying will suffice.
The only experience with cherry is some bandsaw milled, air dried which is quite level at 4/4 and 5/4 thicknesses that I got really inexpensive at an auction.
The oak& ash I chainsaw milled green. Ash stump in my avatar
Play safe and enjoy

Good info, thank you! Man I have a ton to learn. Any good book recommendations out there or someone on youtube to watch for a beginner? I'm taking a woodshop class next month at the park district taught by a guy with over 30 years experience so I'm thinking he will be a great help.

Back