What caused this piston scoring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can i see the crank bearings good when i take the seals out, so i can look at them good without taking the crankcase apart?
Would like to not have the crankcase pulled apart if i dont have to. Do i need to worry about the spots where the crank rod hit the case if all the bearings check out?
thanks

Is the rod discoloration normal?

Or a product of unnatural "heat treating" ?

I'm ASSUMING the surface in the pics IS the outer race of the small end.

IMO, there's no way THAT rod hammered out the case like that - I don't see how it could have that much fore/aft play with an intact piston - and spinning it by hand wouldn't produce that kind of force.

I'm nervous :popcorn:

luck,greg

starting to think about selling it for what i have in it and sell the other stuff i bought for it and just get a 562 and get the 372 ported for the big wood
trevor

BTW how do you tell if the crank is oem or aftermarket without taking it out? Is there a way?

Hard to say, usually the markings are on the outside of the crank throws and you can see them till you have it out.

Randy, send me a pm, did you want the saw the way i got it, everything with the scored jug. Anyone interested in buying the new oem piston/cylinder assembly.

PM sent

I'd do two saws for the carcass and the new top end.....

If the P/C were pulled before the clutch and flywheel were removed a crafty impact wrench owning "mechanic" could make those marks. Does not take much time or effort just special skills.

Just looked at the crank agian and saw the numbers 1121 on the side, so it must be oem.
randy, did you get my 2nd pm sent to you?
trevor

1122 is the Stihl prefix for 064-660s.

1121 is the prefix for 024-260s.

It should have 1122 on it, if it has 1121 that would be odd.

Last edited:
Back