What causes a coil to short out after Installing a new rear handle ms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herman the German

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the site so I hope I'm posting in the right area and don't make anyone mad ect. But here goes....someone gave me an ms460 Stihl saw and it had a damaged rear handle so I replaced it with aftermarket ebay (fully complete) handle... and after that it wouldn't start. It came with new wires and they were pre plugged up in the handle part then I had to put them on the coil but they can only go one way as 1 bolts on and the other slips on. So I seen that I was getting fuel so I checked spark and there was no spark. I took the ground wire off of the coil and it starts and runs but have to shut it off by choaking the saw until it stalls out. My suspicion is in the selector but I'm not sure what to look for or how to open it up without damaging it so I thought is reach out to the forum to see if there were any who may have had this problem and have had a positive solution.... Thanks in advance

Most likely either the ground wire itself is shorting out, or something has gone wrong with the contact spring/ switch shaft. One of the wires is attached to the switch shaft. The terminal of that wire should only touch the contact spring in the up (off) position. Sometimes that spring can get bent.

Disclaimer: I'm basing this on the 026 I'm working on, and assuming the 460 is basically the same.

Yeah that's seems like what may be going on. I just hate to think it would be either one however I did elect to buy a chinese rear handle (pre assembled) I've had a terrible run with Chinese zero quality parts in the automotive industry and should have known but.... Tried to save a buck..... Thanks for the reply

Sounds like you know now .
Yeah that's seems like what may be going on. I just hate to think it would be either one however I did elect to buy a chinese rear handle (pre assembled) I've had a terrible run with Chinese zero quality parts in the automotive industry and should have known but.... Tried to save a buck..... Thanks for the reply

China tanks have saved more then one good running saw. I wouldnt feel too bad about it. Pop the switch apart and see what's making contact and check the wire to see if its grounding on something. Easy enough job.

China tanks have saved more then one good running saw. I wouldnt feel too bad about it. Pop the switch apart and see what's making contact and check the wire to see if its grounding on something. Easy enough job.
Sounds like a good plan to me pal. I really appreciate all input. This saw got what I would call simi crushed by a log of machine.. not sure which but the owner of the Logging co. Gave it to me and said "ya might get some parts off of it and put em to use. When they tried pulling the starter rope it wouldn't pull so they thought it was locked up I guess,But upon further investigation when I got it home I took the starter cover off and pull rope was knoted up and twisted not allowing it to turn it over.. fixed that and it had compression and lots of it so I bought all new covers (OEM on covers) a new decomp valve chain brake lever and starter cover and clutch cover and all sit filter components and that rear handle for around $200 or just under. So not bad for a $1,000 saw.

Back