what chain to order for stihl 066 36" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye-n

Reaction score
This saw came with a 36" stihl bar. in good shape. Chain stretched and needs replacing though. its a stihl .404 chain full skip. I undertand I am stuck with running.404 which is not ideal for milling, bt proabably fine for this saws use? so I'm wondering what you guys would reccomend i do, or buy.

I should mention. This is a backup saw. it does some bucking and some milling. I have a 660 w 42'' bar semi-skip that does fine (although i regret not going full skip for the sake of time spent filing on site. looking at this below. thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Chainsaw-Chain-Drive-27X104G/dp/B00PQY5XE8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1542658674&sr=8-6&keywords=36"+chain+.404

I run 42" square chisel skip on my 661 most of the time. I've just gotten a reel of semi-skip Stihl to try. I think you can replace the nose sprocket with a 3/8" sprocket to run the slightly narrower kerf chain. Personally I am waiting for Left coast supply to get the longer 3/8 x .050 bars in to run Lo pro, a 48" GB narrow kerf wood replace the 50" cannon I use now.
The noticibly narrower cutters run faster thru the log. And from another, I've heard to alternate 0° & 5° angle on the cutting edges for a very smooth surface on the slabs. I have 20" & 30" but haven't tried the cutter angle idea yet.
My avatar shows a 60" bar with skip chisel and the ms-460 that had me attempt using skip chisel in the first place. It worked so much better than comp ripping chain that I switched to it. It was hard for me to tell surface difference after a few days between the ripping surface and the surface left by the square chisel. Now that I have a Simmington grinder it is easier to adjust the cutters angle and try the varied angle to attempt to get a smoother surface.
Enjoy safely

I run 42" square chisel skip on my 661 most of the time. I've just gotten a reel of semi-skip Stihl to try. I think you can replace the nose sprocket with a 3/8" sprocket to run the slightly narrower kerf chain. Personally I am waiting for Left coast supply to get the longer 3/8 x .050 bars in to run Lo pro, a 48" GB narrow kerf wood replace the 50" cannon I use now.
The noticibly narrower cutters run faster thru the log. And from another, I've heard to alternate 0° & 5° angle on the cutting edges for a very smooth surface on the slabs. I have 20" & 30" but haven't tried the cutter angle idea yet.
My avatar shows a 60" bar with skip chisel and the ms-460 that had me attempt using skip chisel in the first place. It worked so much better than comp ripping chain that I switched to it. It was hard for me to tell surface difference after a few days between the ripping surface and the surface left by the square chisel. Now that I have a Simmington grinder it is easier to adjust the cutters angle and try the varied angle to attempt to get a smoother surface.
Enjoy safely

So.... Wanna sell that 50" Cannon??

:)

Enjoy safely

I'm going to keep round chisel and don't feel like messing with replacing the nose and getting it re-drilled. like i said this is just back up saw and I want to get it ready for use, so I dont have to take apart my CSM attachment on my main saw, if i need to use a saw. It seems like there aren't many options for a replacement chain loop though.. Im nervous about buying that one on amazon because there not much info listed on it. I dont fully truust it. Ill call my local stihl tomorrow i guess and see what they can do

So.... Wanna sell that 50" Cannon??

:)
If & when Greg @ Left coast sells the 48" GB narrow kerf bar to me. But the bars that were going to be in last June aren't in at last check a few days ago, so can't tell you when.I liked the stiffness of the 50" so I ordered the 60" " just in case" which came in handy in my avatar. But could have used a 72" which I have now from Forester once again "just in case"!

Latest posts

Back