what chain to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle5.0

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im new here but ive been cutting wood for heat all my life. i grew up in west georgia (i know, not the harshest winter climate) with a wood stove as the only source of heat. i was always told to use a hardwood chain(full chisel) for firewood and a softwood(semi chisel) for pine and that was about the extent of my knowledge. i dont know if ive ever used a skip chain before. i have a stihl 038av super for my big saw and for the first time since it was new it has a regular bar on it instead of a bow( my bow is worn pretty bad and i cant find a new one). i mainly use it to cut big hardwood rounds and to buck logs into firewood lengths. it has a 24" bar. would i gain any cutting speed over a full comp chain by going to a skip? i can sharpen in the field and the skip will take less time but will it cut faster??? thanks in advance.

Howdy! Somewhat faster in smaller, but gets more noticeable in the larger wood. That has been my limited experience so far anyway.

I think a better way to describe is it is "less slow" if that makes any sense, you can keep the chain speed up into the good torque/powerband without excessive drag or bogging. That's how it feels to me. The theory is, more room for the chips to get out of the kerf.

Skip chain may feel rougher on smaller wood due to the increased spacing of the cutters. But that difference may feel small compared to changing from a bow to a bar.

Both full chisel and semi chisel chain can be used on hardwood, or on softwood. Full chisel cuts a little faster, but dulls faster in dirty wood. Semi chisel cuts a little slower but is more forgiving.

Philbert

Last edited:
A sharp full comp chain will work well. 24" may be the limit of the length you want to try. For me, I would not go beyond 20" with an 038. You might want to try Oregon LGX chain. It seems to be a very good chain that holds its edge well. I have actually stoppped buying Stihl chain becaues of the LGX. Bailey's also has good chain in their WoodlandPro brand - worth a look.

Hal

Depending on the wood (hard or soft) and how big, use full comp chain and adjust the "bite" with the depth you file the rakers. Shallow for hardwoods/big and deeper for softwoods small.

Concerning chisel or semi chisel I use chisel unless the wood is dirty or lots of close cuts to the ground/stumps.

I'm using all stihl chains as I found a ebay deal years ago that had loops delivered for $15.00 for 20" and $18.00 for 25". I wish I had brought all that was available at the time.

lots of great info. thats why i joined this site. awesome thanks yall. ill take a look at the LGX chain. the saw cuts good as and it pulls that 24" bar very well. i was just wondering if a full skip would do even better. good is never good enoughyou know.

Nothing at all for me to say ...that hasnt already been said !!! I tried some LGX a while ago...I havent been sorry about it !! Good luck with what ever you end up trying :)

The LPX has the raised hump but its shorter than the raker so its not an issue like the ones on the safety chain but it cuts smoother.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

The LPX has the raised hump but its shorter than the raker so its not an issue like the ones on the safety chain but it cuts smoother.
Thanks so much for that info...and for the soon to come pics !!

LPX
y2eza9ub.jpg

See how it has the raised bumper but its shorter than the raker.

LGX
7y9usyzy.jpg

No bumper just the raker.

Both chains are brand new out of the box.

No real advantage its mainly preference. The LPX cuts smoother,it seems to bore cut little better,less likely to kickback but still isn't considered a low kickback chain.

I like Stihl chains but they are brittle and hard which can be good or bad .. I recently tried Total brand chains and found them to be " total" crap

I can get Oregon chain a little sharper but it don't stay sharp as long.

Chisel chain i use both Oregon and Stihl but semi-chisel and low profile only Stihl

No real advantage its mainly preference. The LPX cuts smoother,it seems to bore cut little better,less likely to kickback but still isn't considered a low kickback chain.
Thats pretty interesting..Im ready to order a few new chains...Ill give the LPX a try . Thanks for the great info !!!

Back