What chainsaw is best for my needs? Husqvarna preferably

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, new to the site.
I'm 18 and am studying arboriculture at college over here in the UK.
I've been helping my dad out around the farm cutting a lot of fire wood, and doing the occasional bit of felling and limbing up. We have 3 saws, all husqvarnas. An old 136, a 435 x-torq and a 385xp.
The 385xp is a tad big for what I've been doing I feel, but then the 136 and 435 don't quite have the power I need for the bigger stuff. So I suppose I'm looking for a more all purpose saw.
I've been reading and I think something in the 40cc range like the 346xp would be ideal.

Would love to hear some advice and opinions on what you all think.

The majority of my cutting is done w/ 346xp’s and 353’s. A lot depends on your budget, mechanical inclination and your local dealer(s). Many have gone with the Autotune 550xp’s. Depending on your usage, I would not discount a 460 Rancher. I keep a few of my friends’ Ranchers tuned up for them and they have proven dependable saws.

You have a big gap before the 385 Xp. I would suggest something between 65 cc to 75cc.? That’s 10cc below the 385. Just 10 cc is a big difference, you can put a 18” / 20” bar on the 65/75 cc saw. Think about what cc saw you want and go up one size. Think 50 cc then go 65/75 cc?

Years ago I got a husky 266se and slowly I ran it more than my 2100.

Hi there, new to the site.
I'm 18 and am studying arboriculture at college over here in the UK.
I've been helping my dad out around the farm cutting a lot of fire wood, and doing the occasional bit of felling and limbing up. We have 3 saws, all husqvarnas. An old 136, a 435 x-torq and a 385xp.
The 385xp is a tad big for what I've been doing I feel, but then the 136 and 435 don't quite have the power I need for the bigger stuff. So I suppose I'm looking for a more all purpose saw.
I've been reading and I think something in the 40cc range like the 346xp would be ideal.

Would love to hear some advice and opinions on what you all think.

If the 385 is truly a tad too big then you need a 72 cc saw

Awesome, thanks for your comments guys. So it looks like I should be going for something around 50cc to 60cc ish. I'm looking to buy something second hand and can fix it up a bit if needs be. What Huskys would you suggest around the 50 to 60cc range?
Cheers

Sounds like a Jonsered 2166 or a Husky 365 x-torq (Same saw, different color) would fit the bill perfect.

And after you use it a while you can research grinding the transfer covers and muffler mod to up the HP.

550XP first (you won't regret that ever), you can always get a 560/562 or 572 later if you miss it for the occasional bigger wood.
The 550XP is designed especially for guys like - you. Just stay away from the first production mk1 that had child problems with such as problematic hot start.
I would prefer a later version mk1, because I already have a pro saw at 5.4kg and I've fondled with the the Jonsered 2252 (550XP-mk1/4.9kg) and it handles like a 40cc.
The mk2 have a slight power and acceleration advantage but at a heavier weight.

50cc:
346xp
550 mkII

60cc:
357xp
562xp

70cc:
372xp
572xp

Those are the best of the best. A 350, 460, or 365(special or x-torque) would be more affordable and relatively dependable, but not as nice. Because you already have small saws and a large saw, I would start with a 50cc or a 60cc class saw. The 385 is very similar in feel to a 372.

One saw does not cover all options- when you only have one saw in the 40-50cc range, you tend to start asking too much from it once you get a bit of bravery involved.
357XP/359 is a nice compromise.
372/350 is a good two saw combination.

Well, if someone asks me about 1 saw I consider that as the first and most important saw, because if you're 18 that's certainly not going to be your last.
Whats the use of buying a 6kg 60cc if what you want later is a 5kg 50cc and a 6.5kg 70cc?

Not sure how 400 years old oaks are populating Britain but here in norway the only ones that buy 60cc saws are the ones that wants to be bigger and better than their neighbor.

I would also advice on a 50cc all day. 3,5HP in a 5kg package is arround perfect.
I use it everythime when stuff is less than 35cm.
Which is almost everything.
Less wear on your body means more control after a couple of hours work.
Going up to 60cc isn't really worth it.
Got rid of my 6100. Wich was a great machine, and way more powerfull then the 50cc.
But in the end, it saw even less logs then the 80cc.
Next saw would be a dolkita 5105 I think.
Felt nice and tight.
And we're waiting for a nice deal on a 40cc dolkita 4300. But only because we already have a 50cc one.

I have near a dozen saws now 30ish to
90cc, to match to specific jobs and i use them all at times. I like it that way. On average jobs 60 and 70ish cc saws is what i prefer through most the work. 20in and longer bars is what my back stays straighter with and feels better with while i am working and at the end of the day. Good 60 cc saws handle and balance well with 20in, 70 is better with 24inch, I would decide from there. 50 cc is on the small size for the bigger part of my work.

Well, if someone asks me about 1 saw I consider that as the first and most important saw, because if you're 18 that's certainly not going to be your last.
Whats the use of buying a 6kg 60cc if what you want later is a 5kg 50cc and a 6.5kg 70cc?

Not sure how 400 years old oaks are populating Britain but here in norway the only ones that buy 60cc saws are the ones that wants to be bigger and better than their neighbor.

Yeah, maybe- I mean we have all seen the European ad's for the saws they make there and the matchsticks they cut when doing their forestry shots- but I have been to the UK a couple of times and they do have some big trees there- most introduced exotics grow fairly big and they tend to slap you in jail if you go hacking in to the 400 year old Oaks.
And if at 18 you cannot drink like a fish till 3am, be up at 6am and away to work by 7am bright eyed and bushy tailed, capable of hefting 40kg bags of cement like they were teabags- then a kilo here or there in a powersaw is not going to be much of a concern.
I gave my opinion of a one saw plan and it is in the 60cc class, then I gave the same kind of two saw plan you suggest with the 372/350 models.
If he decided to go one saw 60cc and decided it was not for him, had the cash to warrant two saws, sell the 60cc and buy the other two.

Depending on the type of wood he cut's, that makes complete sense.
I would steer away from the 1 saw plan to begin with.
If you pinch your bar, you'll need an other one anyway. Very satisfied with the 50cc and 80cc combination.

Depending on the type of wood he cut's, that makes complete sense.
I would steer away from the 1 saw plan to begin with.
If you pinch your bar, you'll need an other one anyway. Very satisfied with the 50cc and 80cc combination.

Na, if you pinch a bar you just need a scrench and a spare bar & chain- much cheaper (but not as much fun) as a complete saw. ;)

Guessing you don't have many huskies [emoji28].
I have a couple of them, a couple of Red cousins and a few other saws with outboard clutches- if need must I can usually get the powerhead off a pinched bar as long as the bar is not too buried.
Although I admit, these days I try not to get into a situation where I need to. ;)

Back