What chainsaw is best for my needs? Husqvarna preferably

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow thanks so much for all the information. I quite like the idea of a two saw combination. Seeing as we already have a 385xp I think a mid 50cc saw such as the 357xp would be a perfect addition.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for with 357xp's? Particular years or known problems these saws can have?

Many thanks

It depends on the wood you cut.
If a 38cm (15") bar suffices stay at 50cc (346xp and 550 are both nice saws). If you need 50cm (20") take the 60cc.
With the 346xp you also pay for the coolness factor. So the 357xp might be a great choice for the money.
What kind of trees are you felling?
Also, try to lend some saws before you make you decision (make sure they are tuned correctly!).
Every cc more than you need, means more fuel, and more wear on your body.

Apparently the plastic intake boot clamp is a known issue. The 359 is easier to find, and was more reliable in the field.

don’t pigeon-hole yourself into one model saw, or size. Or brand. Buy known good models. Start with one. You will get more.

I'd pick a 346 or 550. I love a 50cc saw.

Some 357s had an automatic decompression valve that needs removed. Also the plastic intake clamp. Neither are hard to replace.

What are you doing with the saw? Falling timber? What species what length of bar? A 385 with a 32 or 36 isn’t bad to carry all day depending on what you do and what you’re cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you described what kind of wood, and diameter you are cutting, I missed it.

Depending on what you are cutting a 50cc class saw sounds like a good addition to your collection.

If you want a New saw a 550XP would probably serve you well, in a used saw a 346XP, or Husqvarna's "Forgotten Saw" the 353 would be Excellent Choices IMO.
I grab the 353 a LOT for soft woods up to 18", mine has been very reliable, the only "Known Issue" is the already mentioned Plastic Carburetor Boot Clamp, swap that out for a metal one, and you should be good to go

Husky 353.jpg

In the 60cc class, a 562XP would be worth looking at, AS member Skeans is a Professional Faller, and he uses, and speaks very Highly of the 562XP, He uses up to a 32" bar, falling mostly Softwoods. He makes a Living with saws, and his is an Opinion I Value. A 562XP and 372XP are on my add list, but with "Nonessential Businesses" being closed by government order right now, my Wife is out of work, so any new saw purchases are being put on hold for the time being :(

Doug :cheers:

That half HP less gives you a tad more time to think, so a tad less user induced issues?

I have probably have 400 chords of firewood with my jonsey 2159. Same as Husky 359. I cut some big trees with it too. I say 24+ with bore cutting . The 2159 / 359 seems to have a slighty wider torque band than the 357/2156. When the 2159 cylinder dies i will put on a 2156 cylinder. That cylinder puts out more revs but with with a less peaky torque band. The outboard clutch sucks if you get it stuck. The 2159 /359 a great saw with not that much weight over the 346 but with noticeably more power

That half HP less gives you a tad more time to think, so a tad less user induced issues?

That goes both ways. Sometimes something needs to be cut, and it needs to be cut fast. Heavy leaners are a great example. Taking too long, regardless of technique (boring/strap or coos bay) can be a great way to cause a tree to chair and then injure or kill the operator. Plenty of situations bucking on weird ground or in a blowdown patch where there is no such thing as too much power or the saw cutting too fast.

What are you doing with the saw? Falling timber? What species what length of bar? A 385 with a 32 or 36 isn’t bad to carry all day depending on what you do and what you’re cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you described what kind of wood, and diameter you are cutting, I missed it.

Depending on what you are cutting a 50cc class saw sounds like a good addition to your collection.

If you want a New saw a 550XP would probably serve you well, in a used saw a 346XP, or Husqvarna's "Forgotten Saw" the 353 would be Excellent Choices IMO.
I grab the 353 a LOT for soft woods up to 18", mine has been very reliable, the only "Known Issue" is the already mentioned Plastic Carburetor Boot Clamp, swap that out for a metal one, and you should be good to go

View attachment 812147

In the 60cc class, a 562XP would be worth looking at, AS member Skeans is a Professional Faller, and he uses, and speaks very Highly of the 562XP, He uses up to a 32" bar, falling mostly Softwoods. He makes a Living with saws, and his is an Opinion I Value. A 562XP and 372XP are on my add list, but with "Nonessential Businesses" being closed by government order right now, my Wife is out of work, so any new saw purchases are being put on hold for the time being :(

Doug :cheers:

I've mostly been cutting stuff with a diameter of around 20 inches, with the occasional stuff that's a tad bigger. This has either been cutting wind fall for firewood or doing occasional thinning work in the woodland. None of the trees are massive, but I've got the 385 for the big stuff anyway. The trees have been mostly hard woods, some ash, sycamore, oak and I've also been cutting up some larch recently. Hope this explains :)

I'd like a saw that is easy to work on and can get second hand, like a 3 series (346xp or 357xp) instead of a 5 series (550xp or 562xp). Does that make sense? Lol

At the moment I feel my decision is between the following saws: 346xp, 353, 357xp and 359.
They sound like the most suited to what I want.

Back