What chainsaw is best for my needs? Husqvarna preferably

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not over and over and over lol, just on occasion. I have the 385 if I'm doing big stuff repeatedly. Mostly I'm just cutting stuff around 16 inch or so.

For my money, up to 20" is perfect 359-2159-262 territory.
Not sure how common the '59's are to find in Jolly old England, but it might be hard to get one delivered to your door at the moment anyhow- so you have time to look.
They are a very easy platform to work on, just watch the age and check to see if the intake manifold attaches to the cylinder with a plastic clip (not good) or metal one (good).
Parts are easily available and Meteor make good cylinder/piston kits.
For me, the 372 would be great- but you have access to the 385 and I feel there is not a big enough gap between the two to justify having both until you become a compulsive hoarder of old saws like the rest of us here!

Cutting 16-20” Hardwood, if you find a Nice 266XP, that would probably be another Excellent Candidate for your needs.

The 266XP is an older model, but it has an Excellent Reputation for Power and Reliability

I bought my 266XP “Old Reliable” New in ‘91, it made a Husky Believer out of Me

Doug.

I wouldn't even want to make repeated cuts in 20" softwood around here with a 60cc saw. Occasionally; no problem. Always?, Naw.

Heck- I do all the time...... have used the 2159 to take down some big softwoods most people might be looking for a 90cc and 36"bar for and use the Jonsered to buck the lot- even if I have to noodle blocks off the but.
Trees of the same species grow differently in different parts of the World. A big Fir tree with a 40"plus stump might be easier on saws for me than it might be for you- can't comment on English trees- never cut any.

I've mostly been cutting stuff with a diameter of around 20 inches, with the occasional stuff that's a tad bigger. This has either been cutting wind fall for firewood or doing occasional thinning work in the woodland. None of the trees are massive, but I've got the 385 for the big stuff anyway. The trees have been mostly hard woods, some ash, sycamore, oak and I've also been cutting up some larch recently. Hope this explains :)

I'd like a saw that is easy to work on and can get second hand, like a 3 series (346xp or 357xp) instead of a 5 series (550xp or 562xp). Does that make sense? Lol

I have had the 357’s in the past they’re a good little saw my only complaint with was no full wrap and the small mount studs vs the 562’s they have of those boxes checked. What length of bar are you running on the 385?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reacting sarcasticly on the "359 is more dependable than the 357xp". Nothing remotely serious.
Both great saws . It depends on cutting needs.
Heck- I do all the time...... have used the 2159 to take down some big softwoods most people might be looking for a 90cc and 36"bar for and use the Jonsered to buck the lot- even if I have to noodle blocks off the but.
Trees of the same species grow differently in different parts of the World. A big Fir tree with a 40"plus stump might be easier on saws for me than it might be for you- can't comment on English trees- never cut any.
A smaller saw can cut big wood with the right technique and a sharp chain

Latest posts

Back