What Chainsaw to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antihero

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My father is looking for a chainsaw and since i know next to nothing about them i thought id ask you guys.

He basically uses it to cut up anywhere from 3-6 cords a year or even less if he decides to use energy logs or buys his wood. The trees he cuts up are usually under a foot in diameter and half the time are already down. He has been using a Poulan Wild Thing with a 40c engine and 18"bar and while it has worked ok for 2 years he is having problems getting the thing to start and keep running. Honestly i think he just wore it out.

So basically im looking for reccomendations on a cheaper saw thats around the same size as the Wild Thing that is fairly reliable. I know a good Stihl would be better but he doesnt want to spend that much.

What would you guys reccomend? He's looking at the Powerhorse series in the latest Northern Catalog, but honestly i havent seen a good review yet.

Thanks

look for a good used saw from a dealer

stihl ms 250 would be about right for him i would try to find a saw in the 45 to 50cc with a 18" bar

Don't buy cheap cr@p

Or a MS290. The thing about an off brand cheapie is that it will not be reliable for any real length of time, and the first time it doesn't work when you need it to, well, then it is no longer a good deal.

This "Power Horse" brand is a Chinese saw through and through. Yer gonna git what you pay for and less when you go that route, geopolitico-economic concerns aside.........:deadhorse: (picture of someone trying to start a "Power Horse after six months of ownership):angrysoapbox:

What kind of price range?

I cant really see him paying over $200 really.

The thing about an off brand cheapie is that it will not be reliable for any real length of time, and the first time it doesn't work when you need it to, well, then it is no longer a good deal.

I agree with that but im not the one buying it. Im hoping theres a cheaper chainsaw out there thats pretty reliable for under $200

stick with the brand names that you see people here talk about and see what fits your budjet , there are alot of good choices , look for dealers in your area and welcome aboard .
:cheers:

Any name-brand saw from a good, local OPE dealer that is capable of servicing the saw will be a good step up from what he has been running. Consider used, if you can get it from a shop that has either gone over the saw or has rebuilt it. You might be able to get away with a $200 budget on a used saw.

Look for a shop that does a lot of business with tree crews, municipalities, etc., rather than the mower shop that also happens to sell saws. The particular brand that the saw shop sells is far less important than the fact that you're buying from a good shop.

Tough without knowing $ and local dealers.

Husky 350 now the 450
Jonsered 2150 (Red & black version of the Husky)
Dolmar PS510

Along with the previously mentioned MS250 any of these would be a great choice.
It boils down to what he likes for feel and balance, and the confidence in whom he purchases the saw from.

Good Luck & Take Care

Too small...great trim saws though.

Not for 3-6 cords a year.Chip a few duckets in and help him get a good saw.He's already found out a cheap saw doesn't last.False economy when ya' have too replace it every 2-3 years. Buy a good saw once.
I've got Stihls that are over 30 years old and still run great.
An MS250 would be perfect.

He will work the saw and himself to death trying to make a "firewood" saw out of a 170/180.
The Dolmar/Makita 510/520/540 would be great for what he is going to do with it.
I got mine off of ebay for 175.00 delivered and it is a fantastic saw.
Mike

If you can get him to go 300$ a MS250 would be just about perfect, or if he's set with a 200$ budget you might be able to find a used 028, 026, 024, 029 or mid sized Dolmar, Husky or Jonsered for that price range use on ebay. But you def. want to find something in the 45cc+ range to handle that amount of work.

Take a look at the rental makita 6401 the homedepot sells off for under $200.

Last edited:
Husky 340 or 345 would be a good choice Stihl 210 or 250. These are saws in the 40-50cc range. Also Echo saws CS370 and CS400 are something to look at. Echo has a 5yr warranty. Take his $200 and chip in another $25-50 Then it will be the last saw he will ever need.

Take half a Saturday and visit some dealers and demo some saws. It would be a fun thing to do with Dad.

Stay away from the crapy saws in Northern tool. That would be tossing your $ in the toilet!

Keep away from Lowes or HomeDepot there will be NO service after the sale.

Echo makes a few good 3-6 cords a year firewood saws, still over your budget. I hate to say it, but I don't think you going to find a new reliable saw capable of 3-6 cords a year for under 200.00$. There are millions of used ones out there and like most have said. Find a good dealer that you can trust and go with a used saw and don't let him talk you into a MS170 because it is within your budget. They are good little saw for what they were designed for, but cutting 3-6 cords a year will be a challenge it's not going to like. If it HAS to be Stihl. You should be able to get a good used MS290-310 close to you budget that someone has traded in for a MS361. If I have offended anyone for mentioning the E word, I'm sorry.:cheers:

I cant really see him paying over $200 really.

I agree with that but im not the one buying it. Im hoping theres a cheaper chainsaw out there thats pretty reliable for under $200

Have him get a good used Stihl 026/260 or even an 028.

Keep checking the trading post. He might need to come up with another $50-100 though.

...So basically im looking for reccomendations on a cheaper saw thats around the same size as the Wild Thing that is fairly reliable...

You can't get cheap and reliable at the same time! I've learned you get what you pay for basically.

My Stihl Pro saws are very reliable, but I paid through the nose for them. I've had cheap saws before and I can't count on them when I need them.

What is the cost of buying a cheap saw every two years?
What is the cost of a more expensive saw that will last 10 years or more?
Which is less expensive in the long run?

You can get a used MS250/025 for anywhere between $150 and $250. I just picked one up and its a very nice saw. There is some risk buying used, but if you are comfortable working on your own stuff, go for it.

If you really want to go new, I would look at the Echo CS-400. I looked at those before buying my Stihl and they seem to get decent reviews (some guys on here will argue that!). You can buy them all day long for $225 shipped to your door off of the 'bay.

Joe

Last edited:
What is the cost of buying a cheap saw every two years?
What is the cost of a more expensive saw that will last 10 years or more?
Which is less expensive in the long run?[/QUOTE]

Neither, if hangs around here long, he'll go broke:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:, but have a real nice stable of saws.

Anti,

There is a 112 Dolmar on ebay for 225.00 BIN w/ free shipping.
Looks like a clean saw and the seller obviously knows something about saws. If I needed a saw for what you describe I would be on that one like a settin' hen on a house cat.
HTH
Mike

Back