What could go wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine alerted me to this and told me I had to watch 2 of this guys videos. I did and was in shock. He's basically made every mistake you could possibly do with an OWB. You won't believe how many strikes he put against himself.

At 14:00

at 3:14 150 ft of UNINSULATED pipe to the house. My jaw dropped on that one.

Yeah, I bet the indoor stove uses less wood. Green wood, wet, snow covered wood, open ducts, uninsulated pipes on a long run...WOW.

I saw those videos a few weeks ago. Pretty silly. That wood he was burning outside looked pretty junky to me. Even what he's burning inside has a lot of room for improvement. I know he's saying it's seasoned, but in my experience, wood that hasn't been split really doesn't dry well.

I was thinking the same thing, he hasn't learned his lesson. Honestly, a weekend project to build a leanto with a roof would help loads and save a lot of mess and wasted BTU's. I would venture to guess he's going to have a video about a chimney fire this year and I hope no one gets hurt. I understand we all have to start from somewhere but the amount of available info from sources like these forums makes it readily available anymore. I honestly found it amazing that it didn't take more wood than it did with those feed lines with NO insulation.

When I put mine in I did quite a bit of research and planning. Materials and methods now are much better than what was available then. My feedlines are next to each other and wrapped in a foam tube.

MVC-001S_49.JPG

At that time it was the best they had. If you notice. I did run it through a smooth bore tile and even have pull ropes in there so I can change it out if needed. Pea gravel under the tile and a drainage tile under that to give an escape for any water that comes near it. Overkill? Maybe, but I'm on my 15th year with the boiler. Yes, my stove isn't as efficient as a gasifier but the way I look at it, I'll run it till it dies completely and then get one. It is a stainless version CB and has served me well. I'll give up the extra wood as opposed to becoming a feeding slave all through the day. Once or twice a day loading is more valuable to me as I don't like getting up in the middle of the night or be cold in the mornings. I had that enough as a kid with my parents set up.

Bottom line is if you WORK and get ahead for one year, you won't be dealing with green, wet wood during your heating season. Not rocket science.

The one thing I have noticed that I find extremely disturbing about the first video (Among other things) is the small river rock under and around the stove. I have a small shop vac that use to clean up the wood dust/chips/debris gets on the floor and hearth in front of the stove. I vacuum it every day. Takes about 1 min. I CAN NOT IMAGINE the amount of combustible wood dust that has collected down in those rocks.

We all know what a single ember will do.

And that door glass shows the quality of wood he is burning. GOOD LORD is that glass dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy can't run a chain saw either.
To be fair he didn't do the install or the other work but he did buy it all. If the ductwork was that bad I would just take the top off the furnace, block off the ducting and just pour the heat into the basement and let the heat rise. Couple of fans to pull or push the heat where he needs it. He also said 100 or 150' feet of pipe and maybe 12" deep, sounds to me like he really has no idea. I would have at least covered the dirt with cheap foam or insulated door slab cut outs to try to save what I could.
I think the best thing he could do is join a group like this and do a lot more listening and a lot less talking and thinking of his own. People like this expect people to "watch" their channel and learn from it? He doesn't even know what a cord is, can't run a saw, doesn't know distance and that's just a start. And I'm being nice.

The guy can't run a chain saw either.
To be fair he didn't do the install or the other work but he did buy it all. If the ductwork was that bad I would just take the top off the furnace, block off the ducting and just pour the heat into the basement and let the heat rise. Couple of fans to pull or push the heat where he needs it. He also said 100 or 150' feet of pipe and maybe 12" deep, sounds to me like he really has no idea. I would have at least covered the dirt with cheap foam or insulated door slab cut outs to try to save what I could.
I think the best thing he could do is join a group like this and do a lot more listening and a lot less talking and thinking of his own. People like this expect people to "watch" their channel and learn from it? He doesn't even know what a cord is, can't run a saw, doesn't know distance and that's just a start. And I'm being nice.

I was willing to give him a pass on some things as you say because he didn't do it. Not giving him a pass on the other hand for not trying to fix the problems during the off season or at least searching for info. His solution? Blame the boiler and going with something else. He does work at things so I'll give him props for that but there is no need to beat your head against the wall. When he said with an indoor stove you need to do things differently as drier wood burns better, I thought really?

I'm surprised he didn't have deer or animals bedding down on his pipe run for the heat strip through his yard. LOL :dumb2:

1st off I try not to bang the crap out of my vintage owb when throwing wood into it. Nothing like banging hot welded steel. My wife raked the coals up early this morning and turned up the heat in the shop to get the fire going to burn down the coals. I checked it tonight and a nice bed of coals so no need to clean it out but if I did I wouldn't be wearing shorts or sneakers. I use my tractor loader bucket and a long handled shovel. I try not to stir up the ashes and I don't care about loosing a few hot coals so that cuts down on the dust. Spring time is different if I'm shutting it down for the summer. Then I clean out as much as I can and then on a real windy day I hook 12' of pvc pipe with an elbow on the end onto my back pack blower and blow the fine dust out of the top water jacket pipes. And I stand upwind. I always watch these videos and think that the guy at the end is going to say " Aprils Fools" and say I was just kidding, do the opposite of what I just told you to do. I won't bother having my wife watch the video.

Back