What did you buy yourself today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Logosol+Smart-Holder_S.jpg
This is what I ordered yesterday. Should help in cutting up a lot of branch wood.
It came yesterday and I will try it out next week. Lot of rain this weekend so no wood cutting.

The one pile is left over from last year that we never got too.
I had logs left over form last year. Hope to avoid that again. Bark came off in four foot sheets and made for a lot of clean up, trailer loads of bark. Makes for great firewood though without it, and probably seasons more quickly too. Bark has to be 5-10% of the wood at least, so without it, it takes more splits to stack up a cord.

Casey: Post some pics of your cutting table. I vaguely remember there being a ramp from the table to the splitter. I think I may need something like that for the bigger rounds. That, or a lot of noodling.
I'm wanting to order an Eastonmade splitter, but it's not going to happen in the real world.
Been looking at their site. 3,600 psi...on hydraulic system peak pressure.
This week has been beautiful weather to work outside.
Next thing on 'the list' is a bigger truck.

I had logs left over form last year. Hope to avoid that again. Bark came off in four foot sheets and made for a lot of clean up, trailer loads of bark. Makes for great firewood though without it, and probably seasons more quickly too. Bark has to be 5-10% of the wood at least, so without it, it takes more splits to stack up a cord.

I had a guy email me and ask for 5 chords of barkless red or white oak, not pin oak, biweekly. Guy owned a wood fire pizza shop... I couldn't keep up with that type of demand unfortunately.

I had a guy email me and ask for 5 chords of barkless red or white oak, not pin oak, biweekly. Guy owned a wood fire pizza shop... I couldn't keep up with that type of demand unfortunately.

Must be a huge shop. We supply to a pizza place, they use about a 1-1.5 cords a month.

Casey: Post some pics of your cutting table. I vaguely remember there being a ramp from the table to the splitter. I think I may need something like that for the bigger rounds. That, or a lot of noodling.
I'm wanting to order an Eastonmade splitter, but it's not going to happen in the real world.
Been looking at their site. 3,600 psi...on hydraulic system peak pressure.
This week has been beautiful weather to work outside.
Next thing on 'the list' is a bigger truck.

No ramp. I built everything height wise to work together.... The splitter sits just to the left of the table with enough room between the 2 for me to stand.

Next time I set up, I'm going to orient the splitter so I am pulling rounds off the end of the table. I havent figured out if Ill keep the table in the current configuration and move the splitter, or rotate the table 90 degrees.

I am also thinking about building a bigger table off the cutting deck. Right now it takes 1-2 logs to fill up the table. Id like to be able to cut an entire deck load before transitioning over to splitting.

upload_2017-10-13_22-26-48.jpeg

a8091ca336069b18bc3b47ba8ee25d2d.jpg

8258210193ec308960c6e341a8f17367.jpg

Must be a huge shop. We supply to a pizza place, they use about a 1-1.5 cords a month.

I thought the same thing. Seems like a huge quantity of wood for a pizza shop. Could also have multiple locations. The address he gave me was to a warehouse. He said they never let the fire go out in the stove, rambled on about it being a 120 year old pizza oven.

I thought the same thing. Seems like a huge quantity of wood for a pizza shop. Could also have multiple locations. The address he gave me was to a warehouse. He said they never let the fire go out in the stove, rambled on about it being a 120 year old pizza oven.

I'm not too sure how the local pizza place does it. They have 1 oven and I think it's just going during the day.
I know the first time I brought him wood, he said he had to resplit some of it, so it must use some small pieces. I usually keep the splits to no bigger than about 5-6", about the size in the above pic with the tractor.
2 cords a week wouldn't be too bad, though I'd hate to get "locked" into something like that just in case of unpredicatables... machinery breaking down, bad weather, get hurt or sick, etc.

I worked at a power plant shut down. They cut the boiler out in pieces and put in a new one. Boilermakers went through a pallet of DeWalt grinders. The Metabo's held up well under the abuse.
Starting at a power plant tomorrow. Won't be buying anything till I get my layoff check. $$$$$$$

I few years ago, maybe five, I started building 1/3 cord wood racks, and they have started rotting from the ground up, before their time if I don't say so, for treated landscape timbers. Lots of time and money in them, about $20. each. I even bought a drill press with a longer quill (?) travel for partially assembled pieces.

Today I priced a 20 yd dumpster to get rid of them. $305. I expected that. Three ton limit, and $45. per ton above the first three ton. I expected that. $150. delivery... really?
Spent the afternoon dismantling about twenty of them. Fifty to go. The long 8' pieces and the 4' uprights are going out to the road for free. The junk will take till Christmas, or better, to get rid of in the weekly dumpster pickup.

Behind the shed has become a catch all area this spring and summer. Good time to get it cleaned up while the wood lot dries out.
IMG_5288.jpg IMG_5289.jpg IMG_5290.jpg

With a little effort I bought myself peace of mind getting some junk cleaned up.
The good stuff, 180-4'er, and close to 100-8'ers, went out to the road with a free sign to be repurposed by whom ever.
Made the boxes out of junk, wet osb and a couple pallets.
Several buckets of bolts, nuts, washers and 3" x 3' x 1/4" angle.
IMG_5297.jpg IMG_5294.jpg IMG_5300.jpg IMG_5296.jpg IMG_5298.jpg

Marine, I bought the Dewalt one last week. 1st day in my pouch and I cut my wrist on the paw. Had a little rough burr on it from factory. They are a handy item to have around, not that I ever make mistakes it's for pulling other people's nails out. We use a lot of Dewalt tools at work, but the quality is sure getting worse. Battery recip lasted 2 weeks and pieces fell out of the nose cone. Hammer drill went up in a puff of smoke 2 minutes into a job. Battery impact end fell off. Dealer says they are hving some Quality issues. Good warranty but that doesn't get the job done or pay for lost time. At least Estwing tools are still good. Had a few issues with rust under the handle though and the handles slide off.

Back