What did you buy yourself today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stopped at menards to get a few sticks of lumber.. when I got home these are what I found in the bottom of the small stack???? what could a guy do with something like this?

Attachments

• DSC07526.JPG
    DSC07526.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC07527.JPG
    DSC07527.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 31
I bought 6 horseshoes and made adjustable height cooking trivets. Should help out immensely for regulating heat while cooking on the woodstove top. I got the idea from the YouTube cook "Cowboy Kent Rollins". Kent has an old west style chuckwagon and does a ton of cooking with cast iron and hardwood coals. Look him up if interested.

(Please excuse the messy bench)

20171116_120457.jpg 20171116_120443.jpg

Two truck loads of logs. One yesterday, and one the day before (seen in the background of the third and fourth pic.) Some larger than what they normally bring, and I'm wishing I hadn't sold the TW-6 about now. Brainstorming options... ten thousand ones short of an Eastonmade 12-22, or 22-28. Their web site is interesting, with videos on high hydraulic pressure, valves, and design in general. Lots of other ways to go, but the big splitters are sweet to run. View attachment 606603 View attachment 606604 View attachment 606605 View attachment 606606
How would you like that tire bill? Holy cow! Nice looking logs. why did you sell the TW6?

Bid this up to $4500 but decided it was just too beat up to bother with. Kicked my own azz all the way home though. Just me and a black hat (Amish) bidding and he was about to give up. The thing was cut up and welded, cobbled together all over the place. Everything on it needed work. It would have been decent enough if I had time to play but I just have too many other things on the go. The last processor I bought 3 years ago is still sitting on my fence line waiting for me to work on it.
IMG_20171116_152255.jpg IMG_20171116_152300.jpg IMG_20171116_152303.jpg IMG_20171116_152331.jpg

Had the TW-6 for 2 1/2 years and had less than 90 hours on it. Just a lot of money, sitting most of the time. But the real reason is the supply of large tree service wood did not pan out, and I have continued to buy 20 cord loads of Oak.
Eleven axles. Seven axles @ 4 tires each, plus 4 @ 2 each...36 tires? This one has three drive axles. The driver said that they replaced three of the six trucks this spring with new ones.
I pay a flat fee per load. I would be interested to know how much of that goes directly to diesel fuel. They are driving about a hundred miles each way. That's a lot of road time.
A friend of mine is a business owner, and works throughout the mid west, and west as far as Texas. He has said it is easier to rent equipment than own it. It also reflects the true cost of doing business. You need something on the job for a month, it's a flat fee. You own it, you need a shop to maintain it, a way to transport it to a job, it breaks down you have to fix it, parts may be unavailable for a period of time, etc. Yes you can write it off, but when you sell it, you pay income tax on it also. Write off the rental, done. They still own a lot of specialized equipment. So I think he is talking support equipment like cranes, tele handlers, loaders and such. Each job is different so he can rent for that specific job and not have to make do, for example, with a rubber tired skid steer when he could better use a tracked one. With many jobs going, it is often hard to get equipment when and where you need it without impacting another job or crew. When the economy and work slows down equipment sits. When moving it from job to job, different people are using it, maintenance varies, etc. Do the minimum to keep it running and get it out to another job because someone has been waiting on it. For a small guy it may well be different, but what he says makes some sense.

Marine, I spoke too soon. I was putting garage trusses up by myself today and I broke my own rule. After you do the layout check your truss count to make sure you have enough. We usually allow one to go against the house but another crew laid out the trusses and I didn't count them until I was almost done. I also was smart enough to use screws to hold the trusses up, I also used the hanger nails. I was short one truss and had to take it back off. I also used 10 pcs of 5" spikes to nail the truss to the wall. I tried both of my nail pullers and no go the angle was too steep on the claws. 5" grinder to the rescue. I grounded them both to a point and they worked great. Now there are like razor blades but hopefully I won't have to use them for awhile.
View attachment 607886
Nice work. Looks perfect to me.
Tools need maintenance at times. Problem is I have so many that I miss some from time to time.
I haven't finished my firewood lean-to yet. I'm still contemplating on where to build it.
Keep up the good work and keep me inspired with posting pics of your projects....lol

Sold my 7900 and picked up a used 16' 2260 and a new bar (and flippy caps). Did some fire mitigation stuff around the property for it's maiden voyage. Holy smokes, these saws rip!
20171118_132512.jpg

Back