What did you cut down today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought this might make an interesting thread...

Big Oak tree taken down this morning. I was hoping to make a nice log out of it, but it looks like it's going to be firewood :nofunny:.

395xp 32" bar. 46" stump. This big dude shook the ground pretty good when it hit. It will probably lay here until the ground freezes, it's a little too soft down in the woods to do much with it without making a mess. I might go down this afternoon and top it out if I get ambitious after I get my afternoon running done.

I don't cut down many trees, most of my cutting is windfalls and storm damage. I don't get that much practice at falling standing trees, at least not enough to get good at it and really comfortable falling. But, my stumps are getting better. This tree was mostly dead, it only had a couple of limbs up at the top that were still alive.

Attachments

• DSCN0932.JPG
    DSCN0932.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0933.JPG
    DSCN0933.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0934.JPG
    DSCN0934.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0935.JPG
    DSCN0935.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0936.JPG
    DSCN0936.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0937.JPG
    DSCN0937.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0938.JPG
    DSCN0938.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0939.JPG
    DSCN0939.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0942.JPG
    DSCN0942.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 47
This tree had a serious lean to it. My biggest fear was that it would barber chair, so I decided to bore cut it. Cut the notch, looked good. As soon as I plunged the tip into it...:mad:... hollow. Had a hunch it could be, but was hoping it wasn't. Anyway, finished cutting around it, leaving about 12 inches at the back to hold it. When I cut the back strap, it didn't break until there was only about 2 inches left... you can see where it pulled out in one of the photos. I was really surprised that little bit of wood actually held that tree.

Spent a few hrs today getting deep into the bush line behind my south wood cutting deck . I have a walking trail a little further south that runs above a shallow creekbed , that has two or three serious widow makers . Today was their day , I brought the 7910 HD along with the 5105 H in the bucket of the JD Backhoe . Felled and bucked up the 1st two easily. The 3rd req'd the use of the backhoe to pull it clear of a tangle while felling it . Anyhow I brought out 8 bucket fulls of white pine & white birch today to the splitting deck area . Tomorrow I will bring out the remaining Silver Maple , estimate another. 3-4 buckets to be split with the hyd splitter on the weekend !

8f3f16c5-0c00-4599-a526-2a8c7a7ceaa2-jpeg.895504
65CF2FDE-B7BB-4DD0-90B4-2256BFF45F67.jpeg
Cut a pair of big cottonwood trees.

I thought this might make an interesting thread...

Big Oak tree taken down this morning. I was hoping to make a nice log out of it, but it looks like it's going to be firewood :nofunny:.

395xp 32" bar. 46" stump. This big dude shook the ground pretty good when it hit. It will probably lay here until the ground freezes, it's a little too soft down in the woods to do much with it without making a mess. I might go down this afternoon and top it out if I get ambitious after I get my afternoon running done.

I don't cut down many trees, most of my cutting is windfalls and storm damage. I don't get that much practice at falling standing trees, at least not enough to get good at it and really comfortable falling. But, my stumps are getting better. This tree was mostly dead, it only had a couple of limbs up at the top that were still alive.
Cut an Oregon White Oak about the same diameter—- mostly sound, but with a bunch of metal. Nail biter— I had a pulley system (Fiddle Block): wack the wedges, try to tighten the line, repeat, cut a little. We had actually removed the tree down to a double 25 ft trunk, but it leaned back towards the house .
Tried to upload some photos but got a “ parsing error”. Someone tell me how to fix that and I will post em

Cut an Oregon White Oak about the same diameter—- mostly sound, but with a bunch of metal. Nail biter— I had a pulley system (Fiddle Block): wack the wedges, try to tighten the line, repeat, cut a little. We had actually removed the tree down to a double 25 ft trunk, but it leaned back towards the house .
Tried to upload some photos but got a “ parsing error”. Someone tell me how to fix that and I will post em
Hey the pic appeared to load this time.

Nope, I don't think it loaded... nothing on this end anyway.

Are you on a desktop or laptop computer, or a mobile device like a phone, iPad, etc?
Cell phone. Got thousands of pics on my computer that I could modify for pixels , but I have my leg up in the couch. I posted “Uncontrolled Pendulum Swing in the Injuries section a few days ago.
Any advice for posting vids or pics from an IPhone?

Cell phone. Got thousands of pics on my computer that I could modify for pixels , but I have my leg up in the couch. I posted “Uncontrolled Pendulum Swing in the Injuries section a few days ago.
Any advice for posting vids or pics from an IPhone?
No not me. I'm about helpless on a mobile device:dumb2:... if you were on a real computer, I could get you going though.

Sh
No not me. I'm about helpless on a mobile device:dumb2:... if you were on a real computer, I could get you going though.
Should be able to sit in a chair in a week . Almost got my leg bending to 90 degrees ! If I can manage to get my leg up and work at a desk, how much do you crop or reduce pixels to get a pic to upload here? Obviously, 3 megs or more is ng

Latest posts

Back