What do I have here? Alpina Chainsaw looks to be a Pro45

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD MARK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked this up at an auction with a tag on "Does not start".

Brought it home checked the gas, someone was trying to get it to run had new gas in it. Dumped the gas and was going to put it up for another day and figured Id try a pull or 2.

8 pulls later started up. Trying now to figure out exactly what I have. Was sold locally to me and found to be made in Italy. Doesnt have the tags I have seen on google of the same thing.

1st picture is an actual Pro45, 2nd and so on are what I have.

pro45.JPG Resized_20180712_163359_4749.jpeg Resized_20180712_163350_4796.jpeg Resized_20180712_163335_4192.jpeg Resized_20180712_163316_2670.jpeg Resized_20180712_163324_7837.jpeg

I have pretty much the same saw as the first one pictured but in orange and Castor branded, model is cp45.
Nice running saw, seems well built and fairly good power for it's size though as typical for its age a bit on the heavy side.

Yours is likely just a different year, I'm guessing earlier, of the same model as the other one you pictured.
Looks like they may have increased the fuel capacity on the later one with that bulged out tank.

Here's a crappy pic of one that appears a bit more similar to yours;
alpina prof 45.jpg

There may also be an earlier one that's 40cc...

Picked this up at an auction with a tag on "Does not start".

Brought it home checked the gas, someone was trying to get it to run had new gas in it. Dumped the gas and was going to put it up for another day and figured Id try a pull or 2.

8 pulls later started up. Trying now to figure out exactly what I have. Was sold locally to me and found to be made in Italy. Doesnt have the tags I have seen on google of the same thing.

1st picture is an actual Pro45, 2nd and so on are what I have.

View attachment 662793 View attachment 662794 View attachment 662795 View attachment 662796 View attachment 662797 View attachment 662798
Excellent saws
Parts are scarce now coils in mine went bad.
I have the pro 45 and 540i and 600 professional
I used them since the 90s
They had a minimac clone or they produced them for mac.
In the 90s my friend had a dealership.

Second gen saw Pro 45 =45cc 1985 start of manufacture, Electronic Ignition Tillototson 19B carb, piston ported good saw would hold it's own against the big 2 of comparable age but slightly heavier & power at lower revs Spares now few & far between Tended to be a more home owner looking saw than the series one prof models also badged As Castor & Bullcraft If it's in good nick it will cut a lot of wood without problems It would be a keeper for me as it's work rate would out weigh it's current valuebut that's just me I'm an enthusiast having a Prof 55,65,070S & a 120

Don't see much for sale on eBay other than a Prof45 asking $250.

Keep or sale?
If you still have it and are interested in selling it I'd be interested in buying it. If its available and for sale later me know a price. I have 2 alpinas but both need parts but they are scarce

Back