What do i need to set this 550xp up with .058 3/8 chain and bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also stihl makes a nice .325 flat top chain. That’s what I run on my ms290. Idk the model # of the chain but it’s not “safety chain”
I likewise had a loop of .325 Stihl chisel (the kind without the 3 at the end in the model code) made at a dealership a number of years ago. The likelihood that they have a roll in 0.058 I deemed minimal so did not post such. Bailey's .325 skip is no bumper drive (but 0.050)links and also likely the full compliment or normal stuff. I have some obsolete Oregon 34LG that is 0.058 from the era when the safety chain used bumper tie straps the safety version was SL.

Nope, not foolishness at all.

My 390XP, both 395XP's and 3120XP use, .404/.063, and D009 Bar Mounts

My 266XP "Ol Reliable", 562XP, 372XP and 372XPW all use 3/8, .050, and D009 Bar Mounts

My Wife's 445, my 543XP, 353, 550XP and soon to be converted 346XP,all use .325/.050 and K095 Bar mounts

It keeps life much simpler to have as much commonality as possible

My 460 Rancher is my odd duck, it uses 3/8, .050, K095 Bar Mount, but that was my mistake in not researching it better, it assumed it was D009, and was wrong. I bought that saw used as my "Truck saw", she ain't Purdy but runs good. where I live, trees in the road, are an occasional occurrence, and there ain't no way that I am leaving my prized 266XP, in the truck 24/7, the 460 is much more easily replaced.

My 23 Compact doesn't get much use partly because of it being another odd duck, using 3/8 Low Pro, and IIRC, a K041? Bar Mount. if Husqvarna offered a T540XP, that accepted a K095 mount and .325/.050, I would buy one in a Heartbeat

Doug :cheers:
Is 3/8 more or less difficult for the saw to run, I see people are very happy with
loPro 3/8 on 50cc saws, is this what the OP wants to run on the 550,
I just use standard .325 on 50cc, 40cc works fine with
nk .325, that is Husqvarna SP33G in my case by.050.

A fast revving 50cc saw with full 3/8 wouldn’t be my choice.

Nothing wrong with that semi chisel chain you have. The "safety" type that it is does not affect cut speed. While I prefer non-safety (non reduced kickback, as "safety" is a bit of a misnomer) chains, that one is not bad. Now, the "shark fin" safety chains are a different story, and is where "safety" chains got their bad rap from.

Properly sharpen the one you have, and set the depth gauges, and it will cut VERY well. Everyone has an opinion on this, but I don't like 3/8 chain on 50cc saws. Too grabby, and I think they just put more load on the powerhead. Most of the chains I see, that people are complaining about not cutting well, are improperly sharpened or dull, and have the depth gauges too high, for the amount of tooth wear.

Is 3/8 more or less difficult for the saw to run, I see people are very happy with
loPro 3/8 on 50cc saws, is this what the OP wants to run on the 550,
I just use standard .325 on 50cc, 40cc works fine with
nk .325, that is Husqvarna SP33G in my case by.050.

A fast revving 50cc saw with full 3/8 wouldn’t be my choice.
Honestly, id settle for non reduced kickback “safety chain” that would allow the darn thing to cut. Preferably if I am using it i want a full chisel if my FIL picks it up for even a moment it would need carbide. I thought of it was an easy thing I would like full profile 3/8 purely for consistency reasons. sounds like a pain. I don’t understand what happens to it, the saw cannot have more than 5 hours on it. Its nearly useless. The day ingave it to him it started running poorly, he said he had some bad gas he was trying to use up before he mixed new:angry::angry::angry::angry:
So i drained it, changed the filter ans it seemed to come back to life. Whenever i grab it it is dull, clogged up with dust and the chain is usually hanging off. The issue is the owner, not the saw. But i am equipped to deal with 3/8 and its a nuisance to switch around.

I'm surprised you have stuck with the .058 gauge, it's a husqy oddball. I ran from it. .050 is much easier to find around here.

Believe it or not .058 is plentiful here. You can even get it in stihl chain at the dealer made loops right on the shelf. Must be a regional thing, I would stick with .325 for the 550xp. Works fine and there is no need to fix something that is not broken.

The day ingave it to him it started running poorly, he said he had some bad gas he was trying to use up before he mixed new

You need your own saw and he needs his own saw!

Maybe get yourself a new saw for Xmas (with the bar and chain on that you desire - standard 3/8 non-safety) and give him the other one as a present?

Never lend your good tools to anyone. Have some spare ones, well used or lesser brand, that you won't feel bad about losing or getting broken, or getting seized by bad two-stroke mix/straight gas.

You need your own saw and he needs his own saw!

Maybe get yourself a new saw for Xmas (with the bar and chain on that you desire - standard 3/8 non-safety) and give him the other one as a present?

Never lend your good tools to anyone. Have some spare ones, well used or lesser brand, that you won't feel bad about losing or getting broken, or getting seized by bad two-stroke mix/straight gas.
I have 5 , it was just the one there that was handy. One would think I could go somewhere without having to bring my own along.

I have 5 , it was just the one there that was handy. One would think I could go somewhere without having to bring my own along.
I wouldn’t even run someone else’s saw, nothing surer than it
would have an issue, and your the one that caused it,
it was working perfect until you got it, always use my own.

I wouldn’t even run someone else’s saw, nothing surer than it
would have an issue, and your the one that caused it,
it was working perfect until you got it, always use my own.
A random someone’s I would agree, my FIL is my partner in the maple sugar operations, I have no reservations in using any equipment around for the reasons I usually would, since I bought it, I ought to be able to grab it for 10 mins.. it is a 4 year old saw with maybe 5 hours on it.

Back