What do you do to secure equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sold my GMC 5500 and replaced it with a dump trailer.
What would be a good way to secure it when parked?
At present I've cabled through the four wheels, but that required crawling around on my knees to thread the cable about.
Not terrible on a dry day, but a rain day, not so great.
Is there a better way?

At present I've cabled through the four wheels, but that required crawling around on my knees to thread the cable about.
Is there a better way?
Throw a good lock on the hitch. Can't steal it if they can't tow it.

Is there a better way?

Don’t do it in the rain[emoji23]

Joking aside...

Or full coverage insurance. If someone wants it they will take it

JME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more difficult you make it to steal, the better. Employ multiple deterrent methods.

Tongue lock makes a quick getaway a lot more difficult. Paint some sort of design on the trailer so it sticks out and doesn’t look exactly like all of the rest. If possible chain it to a tree or some other immovable object. When possible park a vehicle in front of it.

I do have a 20' cable on it, a multi braided thing with a coating. And the circular lock, but as jhenderson points out in post #5...
I have the fork lift in front of it, but does little good if not backed up to a tree.
Short of pulling the wheels off, it would be nice to come up with something simple.
Dislike spending time cabling things up knowing it could be gone anyway any night.
I'm feeling vulnerable...
What's a good security camera system again?

I was going to order the lime green and my son said don't do it... Margaret said no to orange.
It's basic black, or hammer tone is what they call it.
I considered pulling the break away cable and locking the brakes, but that would just drain the battery.
Edit: I just thought of it, the ultimate IT!
Park a mini excavator inside, with the boom perpendicular out the left side.

2nd insurance. Thieves spend all day figuring out how to steal what you’re working all day to pay for. If they want it, they’ll take it. Ever hear of an 18 volt grinder? Cable or a lock doesn’t stand a chance.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick disconnect on the jack handle, run it all the way up so they have to cut off the jack foot or use an awkward wrench or something like that to get it to lower onto the hitch. Cable lock that for extra fun.

Cut the trailer connector off and splice in a different connector so it won't work when they try to hook up the lights. "7 Position Metri-Pack 480-150 Series Connector Kit – CE Auto Electric Supply" https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/7-position-metri-pack-480-150-series-connector-kit/ I don't know if that's what you need but you get the idea. You have to plug in two connectors but they will be pretty screwed unless they cut and splice something on site. Or, a truck sided female on the trailer and a double male extension cord you keep in the truck.

Alternative: a deadman switch on the constant power hooked to a car horn, with a double whammy to the brake light power hidden under the trailer too. should they be too lazy to wire the battery power or are using an adapter like me. The switch just controls the car horn on and off.

Cut the trailer hitch off and convert it to a heavy duty receiver female (bigger than 2") and weld the trailer hitch onto a piece of hitch tube materiallike the truck side. You can remove it with a pin and keep with the truck. Add a lock to the pin hole for extra fun there as well, but this one should shut them down pretty hard.

Basically they will have to drag it down the road with a chain at that point, skidding on the jack foot,with no lights. If they get the lights somehow working they have a car horn blowing while they're on the brakes or all the time if they're hooked to the battery power.

2nd insurance. Thieves spend all day figuring out how to steal what you’re working all day to pay for. If they want it, they’ll take it. Ever hear of an 18 volt grinder? Cable or a lock doesn’t stand a chance.
I have had two pickups, two trailers, two four wheeler's , sand rail and my shop at two different farms broken into and a rental house we were working on and all supplies and tools were taken. All of this was locked and secured thieves don't cart they will get it. Only thing I ever got back was one of the pickups they found six years later two states away in a lake they drained to repair. Make sure you have good insurance. I learned that the hard way after the first truck and trailer was stolen.

I have had two pickups, two trailers, two four wheeler's , sand rail and my shop at two different farms broken into and a rental house we were working on and all supplies and tools were taken. All of this was locked and secured thieves don't cart they will get it. Only thing I ever got back was one of the pickups they found six years later two states away in a lake they drained to repair. Make sure you have good insurance. I learned that the hard way after the first truck and trailer was stolen.
That sucks. How long of a time period between the thefts?

Latest posts

Back