What do you do to secure equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both ideas on my list. I also have the only orange Diamond C dump trailer within a multi-county radius. I have lots of military trailers, no one has stolen one. The ring and pintle work great.....just occasionally hard to back up in a difficult situation.

My retired neighbor has a dog that barks at anything that moves on my driveway, tells me everyone who shows up.

Shea

Why would a Ring and Pintle, be any harder to back up?

I have been a truck driver for 33 years, and have backed a Lot of con gear dollies, those aren’t any longer than the typical 4x8 utility trailer, not any more difficult, actually I would rather back dollies than a short utility trailer.

At first it seems counter intuitive, but backing dollies with the tractors I usually drive, it makes it easier, I usually drive 3 axle (Tandem Drive, there is NO such thing as a SINGLE AXLE tractor), the longer wheelbase slows down the steering input from the tractor, essentially the reverse of backing a long trailer rather than a short one. I hated the days that I got stuck in a 2 axle(Single Drive Axle) short tractor backing a dolly was like backing a utility trailer with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler, wiggle wormed all over the county, and then rode like Schitt out on the highway.

I used to be able to spot dollies faster with my old 246” wheelbase sleeper, than most of the guys driving daycabs could

Doug

Why would a Ring and Pintle, be any harder to back up?

I have been a truck driver for 33 years, and have backed a Lot of con gear dollies, those aren’t any longer than the typical 4x8 utility trailer, not any more difficult, actually I would rather back dollies than a short utility trailer.

At first it seems counter intuitive, but backing dollies with the tractors I usually drive, it makes it easier, I usually drive 3 axle (Tandem Drive, there is NO such thing as a SINGLE AXLE tractor), the longer wheelbase slows down the steering input from the tractor, essentially the reverse of backing a long trailer rather than a short one. I hated the days that I got stuck in a 2 axle(Single Drive Axle) short tractor backing a dolly was like backing a utility trailer with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler, wiggle wormed all over the county, and then rode like Schitt out on the highway.

I used to be able to spot dollies faster with my old 246” wheelbase sleeper, than most of the guys driving daycabs could

Doug
Remember, this applies to MY experiences, not yours. I 100% agree on the long wheelbase being very helpful, but none of our trucks comes close to what you were pulling with. I have been using mostly single axle military trailers for the bulk of my reference, and usually in less than ideal situations. There is an abnormally large amount of slop built into the hitch design which is great for some things, but not so much for being exact in moving such a trailer backwards. This especially so compared to a standard hitch. I would suggest that your decades of experience were more than enough to overcome the negatives of said hitch design. My experience, and more than likely the level of experience others have, don't come close to yours.

Also, and I am quite possibly wrong, don't the dollies steer?? I didn't think they were a solid ring mounted on the front of a trailer like most would be done. My only experience with anything like that are two axle rough terrain munitions type trailers with a steering front axle.

Remember, I'm just a firewood hack with stuff, not a genius. I do wish I was even better with trailers, but I am light years ahead of the 'boat ramp failure' crowd.

Shea

Remember, this applies to MY experiences, not yours. I 100% agree on the long wheelbase being very helpful, but none of our trucks comes close to what you were pulling with. I have been using mostly single axle military trailers for the bulk of my reference, and usually in less than ideal situations. There is an abnormally large amount of slop built into the hitch design which is great for some things, but not so much for being exact in moving such a trailer backwards. This especially so compared to a standard hitch. I would suggest that your decades of experience were more than enough to overcome the negatives of said hitch design. My experience, and more than likely the level of experience others have, don't come close to yours.

Also, and I am quite possibly wrong, don't the dollies steer?? I didn't think they were a solid ring mounted on the front of a trailer like most would be done. My only experience with anything like that are two axle rough terrain munitions type trailers with a steering front axle.

Remember, I'm just a firewood hack with stuff, not a genius. I do wish I was even better with trailers, but I am light years ahead of the 'boat ramp failure' crowd.

Shea

Hi Shea, I think that you are confusing dollies with full pull trailers, with axles at each end, the front axle mounted on a turntable and steerable. I have only had to deal with one of those ONCE in my 33 years, and I Hope that I never deal with another. That was on a 20’ flatbed pup, that I simply could not get to back straight to save my life, with some practice, probably, but at 1:00am, in the rain, at the end of my second 14 hour day, and in a foul mood, let’s just say that I did NOT enjoy the experience

The dollies that I am used to are the converter gear used to pull standard semi trailers in the trailing position(s). They are just a fifth wheel mounted over an axle with a tongue, or “Reach” with a ring welded to it, I haven’t actually measured one, but most are probably about 6’ or so from the ring center, to the axle center, the ones for towing behind a lift gate trailer are a little longer, to clear the lift gate, but still relatively short.

I don’t know if the slop is enough to affect backing manners, the dollies are squirrley, as I would expect backing a short wheelbase trailer to be, but predictably, not randomly squirrley.

Where I live in the PNW, truck and trailer combinations, where the Truck has a large tank mounted on it, and then pulls a full trailer with a steerable front axle(s) is Very common in fuel delivery use, and I have told several of those drivers that I have a LOT of Respect for their skills backing those combinations. Those typically have longer reaches and trailers than what I was trying to back, increasing the length of the reach or the trailer (or both) slows the reaction to steering input, and improves the manners, but it still takes an additional degree of skill to back those

As to the boat ramp failures, I have spent my entire life around boats, and can tell you that some of the Best Values in Entertainment, involve a Hot Day, a lawn Chair, a Full Cooler and a Public Launch Ramp (BIG GRIN)

Doug

Hi Shea, I got some pictures yesterday morning, here are the converter gear “Dollies” that we use. There really isn’t that much “Slop” in our Pintles and Rings, basically just enough to prevent binding, the Fore and Aft looks like there is more play than there really is, but the pintle doesn’t have room for much fore and aft movement, the extra room is to allow for vertical articulation in grade changes. This pintle is just rated for yard dolly moves, and not for towing a trailer on the road. The Hwy Pintles are much Beefier, that fill the rings even more and have a jaw that presses back on the ring, when the air releases the spring brakes

533ACA75-CE10-4E7F-9BA8-AA7763EF57DC.jpegB5955C83-7C6A-451E-B6B9-4194C897080E.jpeg6A77E222-C8FA-4F5A-AB06-6B6E5513100E.jpeg42070A33-82AE-48D2-9BFA-1F109EB08736.jpeg

Doug

ps, Sandhill Crane, Sorry about the Thread Drift

Hi Shea, I think that you are confusing dollies with full pull trailers, with axles at each end, the front axle mounted on a turntable and steerable. I have only had to deal with one of those ONCE in my 33 years, and I Hope that I never deal with another. That was on a 20’ flatbed pup, that I simply could not get to back straight to save my life, with some practice, probably, but at 1:00am, in the rain, at the end of my second 14 hour day, and in a foul mood, let’s just say that I did NOT enjoy the experience

The dollies that I am used to are the converter gear used to pull standard semi trailers in the trailing position(s). They are just a fifth wheel mounted over an axle with a tongue, or “Reach” with a ring welded to it, I haven’t actually measured one, but most are probably about 6’ or so from the ring center, to the axle center, the ones for towing behind a lift gate trailer are a little longer, to clear the lift gate, but still relatively short.

I don’t know if the slop is enough to affect backing manners, the dollies are squirrley, as I would expect backing a short wheelbase trailer to be, but predictably, not randomly squirrley.

Where I live in the PNW, truck and trailer combinations, where the Truck has a large tank mounted on it, and then pulls a full trailer with a steerable front axle(s) is Very common in fuel delivery use, and I have told several of those drivers that I have a LOT of Respect for their skills backing those combinations. Those typically have longer reaches and trailers than what I was trying to back, increasing the length of the reach or the trailer (or both) slows the reaction to steering input, and improves the manners, but it still takes an additional degree of skill to back those

As to the boat ramp failures, I have spent my entire life around boats, and can tell you that some of the Best Values in Entertainment, involve a Hot Day, a lawn Chair, a Full Cooler and a Public Launch Ramp (BIG GRIN)

Doug

Don’t like mule trains Doug? They back easy you throw a pin the turn table while backing to aid in steering. One of the worst trailers to back up is a three axle log trailer like a General or similar where the rear axle is self steering and non lifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, don’t care for the doubles, that was my only experience with a full trailer, been there, done that, don’t care to go back, but no one told me anything about pinning the turntable

I like being able to back up, but this coming week (and Hopefully MORE, after that) I am going to be on a Lazy (Wo)man’s route, 5 stops out of Medford, palletized and a lift gate in a Straight truck, 65+ hour week, 12 hours travel time round trip, 56.5 cents/mile-700+miles for driving my personal vehicle there and back plus $75/night Layover pay, all adds up Nicely for little sweat week. The only real downside is the Midnight start times, guess ya gotta take some Bad with the good

Doug

Sorry AGAIN, Sandhill (Wink)

Typical for this week’s easy work
5FDC3204-DB4C-40C8-9CBF-5D7E348490D7.jpeg

Typical tire run, like I just did Friday/Saturday in a 35’/27’ doubles set, This is Hard Work, but a Good Customer to deal with
0DEE5182-9153-4FDB-ADBD-8B0D9D9C0896.jpeg0B2154DB-5BB8-41E8-A11C-416EAFCFBC4C.jpeg
Any guesses which account I work at, when I have a choice???

Doug

I thought tires stacked overlapped like that would make great storm wave mediators if cabled down in Lake Michigan, say 200' off shore. A coral reef type effect. Maybe concrete piers every five hundred feet. Do five or ten miles as a test. I guess ice would play havoc with them, but who knows, maybe not. Maybe just big concrete LEGO blocks the size of containers just below the surface, with radio beacons like fishing nets have.

Why are some tires stacked straight, and others 'woven' together?

Thanks.

Philbert
They have never said why some are “Barrel Stacked “ and others are “Laced” as they call it.

MY GUESS, is that the large Commercial Tires are large enough to be stable barrel stacked, and the smaller passenger/light truck tires wouldn’t ride as stable barrel stacked, when they are laced, they are a pretty tight and stable load. The laced tires can actually be tough to separate sometimes, and I think that they get better loading efficiency, space wise laced. That customer has been in business since 1952, and now has stores in I believe 11 Western States, so they have probably figured out the best system.
I have been a customer of theirs for about 35 years, they are a relatively new account for us, I ran loads for them for about 5-6 weeks in November and December, but this week is the first time I have worked that account since.

I am what is called a “Pool Driver”, my dedicated account closed last April, now I am sent where they need coverage, it was a decent raise to “Pool up” but the schedule can be very inconsistent, I prefer working one account all week when I can, easier on the body and better for the paycheck usually. Last week was Monday-Tuesday in Kennewick, Wa for a Cable company, then the Tire account Friday Saturday, this week I will leave home Monday morning, work Midnight to 1-2:00 pm Tuesday through Saturday, then come home either Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning depending on how Saturday goes and how I feel about a 6 hour drive home after work

Doug

setup a electric fence module activated by remote stored away in the battery box lol.... low jack so you can get it back asap...there are several versions that offer live feed location, speed, direction of travel. The easiest method would be a simple second tongue jack on the back that lowers additional "legs" preventing the trailer from tilting and moving without extra steps and efforts ...the second jack should have a reinforced lock and shackle or two preferably a box enclosure or shroud over the lock. this paired with a ball lock would add to the required time to disable and then steal the trailer. But as others have said nothing will stop a pro thief...they will use flat beds with winches, tow trucks etc to steal things in under 3 then use box trucks, semis etc to transport it out of the area unseen. Its not theft proofing its a matter of how long will it slow someone down to the point they get mad and o look for easier stuff to loot

Back to the original topic, it’s not an option by the sounds of it, but locked inside a building is the best solution.
If they don’t know it’s there, they won’t try to steal it. If someone DOES try to steal it, it is a pretty safe bet, that they KNEW what you have/had, and where it is/was, that is a whole different ballgame

The best you can do is try to make it not worth the effort it would take to steal it

Doug

I sold my GMC 5500 and replaced it with a dump trailer.
What would be a good way to secure it when parked?
At present I've cabled through the four wheels, but that required crawling around on my knees to thread the cable about.
Not terrible on a dry day, but a rain day, not so great.
Is there a better way?
I know it's not in everyone's budget, but I park my trailers in a garage and lock them to the wall with a cable lock and u-lock plus a hitch lock.
Out of site = Out of mind.

They have never said why some are “Barrel Stacked “ and others are “Laced” as they call it.

MY GUESS, is that the large Commercial Tires are large enough to be stable barrel stacked, and the smaller passenger/light truck tires wouldn’t ride as stable barrel stacked, when they are laced, they are a pretty tight and stable load. The laced tires can actually be tough to separate sometimes, and I think that they get better loading efficiency, space wise laced. That customer has been in business since 1952, and now has stores in I believe 11 Western States, so they have probably figured out the best system.
I have been a customer of theirs for about 35 years, they are a relatively new account for us, I ran loads for them for about 5-6 weeks in November and December, but this week is the first time I have worked that account since.

I am what is called a “Pool Driver”, my dedicated account closed last April, now I am sent where they need coverage, it was a decent raise to “Pool up” but the schedule can be very inconsistent, I prefer working one account all week when I can, easier on the body and better for the paycheck usually. Last week was Monday-Tuesday in Kennewick, Wa for a Cable company, then the Tire account Friday Saturday, this week I will leave home Monday morning, work Midnight to 1-2:00 pm Tuesday through Saturday, then come home either Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning depending on how Saturday goes and how I feel about a 6 hour drive home after work

Doug
That’s cool. I bet you meet a lot of interesting people along the way.

I think driving truck of some sort would be a lot of fun once kids are out of the house. Different beast than what you are doing but I’ve often thought about getting my own dump truck as I’ve got gravel on my land and could do a pretty decent side business and most gravel men in my area won’t even call you back.

I hate thieves as much as anyone. Been lucky that over the years I've hardly ever been robbed.

But had to laugh once in the 1970s when I listened to a lowlife explain: If you need a battery for your vehicle, go down to the lumber yard some night and take one from their truck. Now you have a used battery, might be pretty old. But they have to replace the battery in the truck, so wait a week and go back to that same truck. Now you got a new battery.

I hate thieves as much as anyone. Been lucky that over the years I've hardly ever been robbed.

But had to laugh once in the 1970s when I listened to a lowlife explain: If you need a battery for your vehicle, go down to the lumber yard some night and take one from their truck. Now you have a used battery, might be pretty old. But they have to replace the battery in the truck, so wait a week and go back to that same truck. Now you got a new battery.
That’s a good one!

Not a damb thing. Keys are always in the ignition of equipment (they are full of fuel too,[ pet peeve]) and I don’t think any of the locks work on any of the outbuildings. People here are too lazy to steal. Getting rid of junk is getting harder and harder. You could furnish your house with stuff people put out on the curb.

Latest posts

Back