What do you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs or hold back?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

wigglesworth

Booned
Reaction score
Do you hold the saw back in the cut, not allowing the dawgs to touch the bark, or do you like to run up to the dawgs and use the leverage?

I'm talking about in an average "bucking firewood" situation. Not cutting for times, or any of that. Actually using your saw to produce actual product. (Firewood, logging, ect, ect, whatever....)

I let the dawgs take the beating.

IMHO, that's what their made for....leverage and ease of use. To me, that's how you put a load on a saw...

once you start using a saw for a living you learn real quick why dawgs are important. cutting cookies you may as well remove them. running a saw on it's side all day slapping undercuts and backcuts in and you'll be beat within half hour without them. unless of course your cutting little thing 16" and under, i free hand most those anyways. i'd take on a different profession if i didn't have them lol. i can handle not having leverage in a bucking cut (although it is nice as well) but not having that support for the saw while trying to slap in level falling cuts is just not fun at all. they are a much needed pivot point that bites wood making work easier for the guys using them. for 99% here they are just for looks and that is nothing but the damn truth. lol

well there is bucking in... and then there is Jamming it in... I have seen bucking spike attachment points on saws completely busted off from what I would consider being a little too aggressive but to each his own.

Even though my chains are sharp and set up accordingly I still use them to help buck rounds, especially if I'm in bigger wood with a long bar.
Of course I always use them to get the tree on the ground.

One of the local dealers here call felling spikes the D.C.O Dull Chain Override. There is a lot of truth to that for some.

I use the bumper spikes and install them on all saws 50 cc and up. Even my 026 PRO has a pair. Most of the wood I buck is pretty good size and the spikes seem to help in noodle cutting the whoppers in halves, quarters, and occasionally in sixths. I make sure that the spike points line up and that usually takes some shaping.

The only time I don't use dogs is when the bar may hit something on the other side or limbing. Heck I even use the Dawgs while limbing some times.

Do you hold the saw back in the cut, not allowing the dawgs to touch the bark, or do you like to run up to the dawgs and use the leverage?

I'm talking about in an average "bucking firewood" situation. Not cutting for times, or any of that. Actually using your saw to produce actual product. (Firewood, logging, ect, ect, whatever....)

I let the dawgs take the beating.

IMHO, that's what their made for....leverage and ease of use. To me, that's how you put a load on a saw...
Pfffttt...

I back bar everything..

I use a 28" bar on my firewood saw. It saves me some bending over which is good because my back is pretty much shot. So no I don't use the dawgs a lot.
The dawgs that are on it are some big mo fo's 'cause they're cool looking. Even though I don't always use them up to someone else's standards.

Ditch the dawgs and use a slide on my bucking saws. Keep a small set of dawgs on the felling saws but not for leverage, just a pivot point. A sharp chain is not enough on its own, the chain/depth gauge relationship needs to be correct for the type of wood being cut along with the correct cutter shape for self feeding.

I use the dawgs. Unless its at a ceothch and front of saw gonna rub. Dont wannt scratch my baby.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back