What do you guys do with your wood chips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I delivered a Load about 8 Yards that i Gave a fellow. He wasnt Home But i was given directions where to dump them. His Wife came out while i was closing the gate and told me to load them back up they werent brown! :( I told her he husband had asked for them I was just the delivery man. :eek: Like i was going to shovel up 8 Yards i had given away.

I'd hate to live her life - she must face one disappointing day after another. You mean this shopping cart of food isn't free? I have to pay for my electricity? People won't just get out of my way when I drive? Maybe this explains why I'm an optimist...

Funny story (to me)...I'm sitting with my diesel Ram at an intersection waiting to go & these two little old ladies are walking (fighting) their dogs. They stand around waiting for me to move, but there's no break in traffic so they wait for a while. Finally, they decide to go in front of me and are bothered by the 100 decibel engine. I'm bothered because there was a break when they went by. As they left, one turns around with a dirty look - I wave and smile. People like that....I'm so glad I'm an optimist.

Do you folks let your chips compost a little before you apply them so they don't steal nitrogen from the plants?

Nickrosis

You know whats Really annoying? Your Driving a Over Loaded Dump and Some Smart A$$ Teen with a Friend with him thinks it would be to get in front of you and keep hitting his brakes real fast!:angry: Then speeds off But Alass!
you see his GEO parked at a Block buster.
So you Block him in because he wasnt in a parking spot to start with. Go into Subway and Eat a nice long lunch Watching thru the window of course. Then let him out when YOU Get ready! :D

David,
Amusing, but a let down at the end!. I thought you were going to finish with the grand finale of burying the GEO with the load of chips! :D

Around here everyone sells them at $5 a yard to homeowners or $5 a ton to the Biomass plant (wood to electricity). I probably make less than a hundred yards a year and end using them all myself.

Luckily for the little Fellows When i Came out they Took a look at me and didnt say a word :blob5:

Just giving you a suggestion aside from slippery elm:D

I think it is black spruce but I've seen it used for white. So it is coloquial for P. gluaca and mariana. Because it can smell like a male cats spray when growing around the bogs.

Grand fir is another raunchy one. I don't much care for Ailanthus either. I 'll agree with Chad that cherry smells nice -as do all the fruitwoods.

Trying to find a market for our chips. We currently dump at the shop but it gets out of control. We probably have about 3000 yards right now.

I give them to a long list of people locally for free. Organic farmers use them for their trails around the farms, burn them to make bio-char (?) and others for composting. One guy puts them in the animal pens while homeowners use them around their landscapes, the outer areas that need cleaning up after a long winter. Up around the house and planted areas, the use the hemlock mulch. Last chance, I dump them in a local garden centers pile that he uses or sells off to a larger landscape supply company. I've never had a problem getting rid of the chips.

I could get rid of our chips for free as well, and we often do. I'm looking at finding a market for them.

I'm looking into the idea of running the chips through a horizontal grinder to get a finer chip, they call it hog fuel around here. Then possibly go one step further and mixing it to make a quality mulch, or some sort of landscape material that has a value. Just a thought

I'm looking into the idea of running the chips through a horizontal grinder to get a finer chip, they call it hog fuel around here. Then possibly go one step further and mixing it to make a quality mulch, or some sort of landscape material that has a value. Just a thought
If you have a market for the chips. Around here the colored stuff is 30 or 40 dollars a yard. The tub grinders have the spray gun built right in. Once you get a customer, they keep coming back. Never heard of chips being pig food.

Vermeer makes a horizontal grinder. Don't know if it has a spray gun in it. If so, a bit of advice, spray it more brown than red. The red fades and tints to pink. :baba:

Back