What do you guys stack your wood on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.finn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just looking for ideas on this. I usually keep all my wood stacked on pallets to dry. After about 1-2 years the pallets start rotting and I have to get rid of them. I just burnt a bunch yesterday. Any ideas on something that would last a little longer? I stack all the wood to get optimal drying so I can sell people dry wood. I usually do about 15-20 cord per year. Any thoughts?

Pallets work well. As long as you aren't paying for them I wouldn't worry about having to replace them every few years.

Another option is soda/pop crates. At my old job, we discontinued selling Coca-Cola products. There were stacks of their plastic crates in the store room. Called them several times to pick them up and they never did so I just took them home. They tend to crush a little bit under heavy stacks but still keep the wood off the ground and won't rot.

I stack on two runners made of whatever scrap lumber I can rustle up. This year I have used some old and partially rotten Redwood hand-split rails that I found.

-When stacking this way, in my opinion, it is best to have two runners. A single board is more likely to topple the stack as the wood dries out and shifts around.

Straight sweetgum sapling logs. Around 4" to 6" diameter will do. Drop 'em, measure 20 feet (in my case), cut to measure and delimb. Drag to the yard and roll in place.

I'm happy with how long they're lasting. Our first woodpile, started 2 years ago is on these logs. They show no signs of rot yet.

attachment.php

All our wood is on skids. I use (cast-off when I can find it) direct-burial PT as runners under the skids. Works real good, lasts a long time, don't cost very much.

In my opinion, pallets suck. They freeze down in the winter, are a bi__h to try and walk on, and fall apart at a moment's notice. I get short (4-5') pieces of 4x4 dunnage from work. They're much easier to knock loose to get em out of your way, and even untreated ones last a couple years. If I didn't have a supply of these, I'd buy treated 4x4s and use them, it just works well for my purposes.

I've been using wooden pallets for the last 4 years. Just about all of them are getting rotted out now. At work, we're started to get material in on plastic skids. Some of them are very stout and should hold firewood well. Only problem I see with them is the floor is pretty solid. In that case, the air wont be able to get to the bottom of the pile and water will sit and puddle/freeze in there.

I like that cinder block idea. I've also thought about RR ties, as they tend to last quite a long time. I'm afraid a 4x4 will sink in too much where I'm at, some of my pallets are half underground now. Aww hell, I'll just put a lean to on the barn and throw a cement floor in there, that oughta do it. It's only money right?

x2 on the landscape timbers, they last forever and handle well when it's time to move them out of the way.
I've got an old concrete floor in my wood shed that has lots of cracks in it which allows water to come in during prolonged rains. These outfits keep my wood up off the floor and allow air circulation. They also take up very little space when i'm not using them. I didn't get along very well with the pallets when I tried them several years ago.

Stack wood

In my opinion, pallets suck. They freeze down in the winter, are a bi__h to try and walk on, and fall apart at a moment's notice. I get short (4-5') pieces of 4x4 dunnage from work. They're much easier to knock loose to get em out of your way, and even untreated ones last a couple years. If I didn't have a supply of these, I'd buy treated 4x4s and use them, it just works well for my purposes.

I don't like to stack on pallets , I stack between them . Was lucky to find racks that were about 4 by 5 ft. Adding pallet to sides was easy . Use tractor forks to move wood from splitting yard to owb. Handle less make it better on self . Used to handle too much , am thankful , after 40 yrs. of transporting in pickup to have been able to wind up with this set up . Having 9 racks ,always gives room to split ,and keep supply stocked up . View attachment 273859

I'll never use pallets again. they rot and you fall through them in just a couple of years. I now stack my wood on a pair of 'stickers" from lumber. they are about 3" square by 4' long, much easier to deal with.

Landscape timbers on 8x8x16 blocks. Keeps things off the ground and allows air to move under the pile. Here I don't have to worry too much about rain or snow, so I run the pile along a hundred ftte of fenceline.

Hal

My brother who is an ironworker scored me some roof decking...think its gonna work out. I had my wood stacked already when he gave it to me. It just looks like some steel that is fluted.

Pressure treated 2x4s elevated off the ground on the 8" side of 8x16x4" solid concrete blocks. Five years on the current set and the 2x4s are practically good as new. Each unit consists of 3 concrete blocks @ $.98/ea plus 2 2x4s. Not free, but pretty cheap, considering how long they last. Getting the wood this high off the ground lets me rake/blow leaves out from underneath and substantially reduces the number of vermin taking up residence in the wood compared to stacking on pallets as I used to do.

Back