What do you look for in an accountant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodaddict

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Started a new business a few months ago and I decided to use 1800ACCOUNTANT and I'm not sure they are right for me, I have to learn how their site works, upload EVERYTHING and try to figure out what goes where on the site, etc, etc. I feel like I'm doing the work they supposed to be doing.

I've been told there are bold accountants that will save you money in the short term, and there are cautious accountants that will save you money in the long term. Depending on your business' past, present and future you can decide which is more appropriate.

You’ll still need an accountant at tax time. Talk with a few. Try to find one who’ll see you for an hour or so a couple of times a year to keep you out of trouble. I’ve had mine for 35 years. Hopefully we’ll retire together. When I first met him he told me, and I quote “ if you tell me the truth, I’ll never get you in trouble “. That told me everything I needed to know. Get quickbooks and learn to use it properly. Good records will save you money at the accountant come April 15th.

You’ll still need an accountant at tax time. Talk with a few. Try to find one who’ll see you for an hour or so a couple of times a year to keep you out of trouble. I’ve had mine for 35 years. Hopefully we’ll retire together. When I first met him he told me, and I quote “ if you tell me the truth, I’ll never get you in trouble “. That told me everything I needed to know. Get quickbooks and learn to use it properly. Good records will save you money at the accountant come April 15th.

For what purpose?

Been doing my taxes myself well over 20 years, it's not rocket surgery. Actually the 1 year I tried using an accountant, they royally FUBARED it. Had something like me owning 5k, didn't want to put in about 75k of equipment I bought because "it might be a flag". UH... how about no. I bought the equipment for the business, it sure as hell is going to be claimed!

For what purpose?

Been doing my taxes myself well over 20 years, it's not rocket surgery. Actually the 1 year I tried using an accountant, they royally FUBARED it. Had something like me owning 5k, didn't want to put in about 75k of equipment I bought because "it might be a flag". UH... how about no. I bought the equipment for the business, it sure as hell is going to be claimed!

That’s the idea of hiring a QUALIFIED accountant. You obviously shop using other criteria. I guarantee a qualified accountant will pay for themselves in savings as well as representation should you be audited. Yes I have been audited. Yes, we made multiple trips to the IRS office. The accountant charged for the first trip only. No, I didn’t pay the Govt. one dime over the original tax return.

That’s the idea of hiring a QUALIFIED accountant. You obviously shop using other criteria. I guarantee a qualified accountant will pay for themselves in savings as well as representation should you be audited. Yes I have been audited. Yes, we made multiple trips to the IRS office. The accountant charged for the first trip only. No, I didn’t pay the Govt. one dime over the original tax return.

I've never been audited, but I'm sure happy knowing that my CPA will be there for me if I am. I pay a good accountant and I'm happy every time I write the check. As you said, they pay for themselves.

Back