What do you think about lettering my truck this way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKO-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you all think of this idea on lettering my truck.

I will paint it of course and try to get a new door for the back cabinet, if I can't get one I guess I will just drill holes and Mount I peice of Plywood and paint it white, but I do not know yet.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

so if you have an idea and want to post it let me know, I am posting one picture that has no writing other then the phone number. SO you can put itin paint if you want to.

Thanks for any idea in advance

Don't pay any attention to these snobs. ;) If that truck is all you can afford right now, that's fine - just do a good job repairing/painting it so that it looks professional. If you have a shop to work in, you can make that rusty beater look pretty good with a few hundred bucks in professional primer and paint. Just take your time and do a good job fixing rust spots, dents, etc first. Like pdqdl said, no use in putting nice lettering on a cruddy looking truck but, fix the truck up right and you might have yourself a nice inexpensive start-up unit there until you can afford something bigger/better.

As for the name and slogan, I was thinking something like 'For tree care DUNN right', call DUNN RIGHT Tree Service...

As for paint color - go simple industrial white. Easy to put any color lettering on and best resale value down the road. Use vinyl lettering, not paint, so the letters can be easily removed with a heat gun should you decide to sell it down the road.

As for lettering - K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. Big and simple lettering. Too much text and your truck won't be as noticable by passers-by. Just your company name, logo, contact number and very brief description of services. Don't try to include too much text.

Good luck.

thanks arbor pro for the only real answer so far.

as for the truck it gets the job done. Because I actually know how to climb but it helps a lot in the dead tree's that I will not climb it also helps to get up to the lowest branch on the larger tree's so I do not have to waste time roping up.

Also this gets me in the backyards that you can't get into with a bucket if needed unless you have a 75+ footer and can go over the house.

It also helps when they are growing through the power lines I can cut on one side of the lines and then the other so I do not drop on the lines or risk eletrocuting myself.

We have already started sanding down the doors today and hope to get the primer on today but we will see.

So any other ideas on the lettering?

also forgot

We can not change the name of the company we have been in business for 5 years and our name is already recognized( it is ok if you are jealous that our slogan is catchy and people remember it.

people actually say they called because they saw our truck, flyer, website,or yard sign and that the slogan stuck in their head.

I also just looked in the first post and it clear says that I will paint it first.

The rust is not actually in the metal, just in the paint it kind of looks like the old owners painted it with house paint.

I read it, but sometimes people don't always get done what they had planned.

Myself included.

That reminds me... I still need to paint my truck and add some lettering. It's only been 4 years, so I'm still on schedule.

I'll get that done next week...

As for lettering - K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. Big and simple lettering. Too much text and your truck won't be as noticable by passers-by. Just your company name, logo, contact number and very brief description of services. Don't try to include too much text.

Good advise, name and number is all you need, so the drive by can get it when they want to call.

Font should be large enough so that the neighbors can read it across the street.

Maybe the URL under the name the rest is good as an after thought. Maybe as a bumper sign, you want the truck as your main advertising, so the phone number is more important than anything else

Dare I ask what you intend to use that truck for, other than a lawn ornament?

Don't forget changing light bulbs...hanging x-mas lights...cleaning gutters...shearing hedges..

I'm sorry but, is this for real?? Its like the other guy with the fifty footer that he picked up for six grand! I mean if your that desperate wouldn't it make sense to REALLY learn to climb instead?? And before you even say anything, yes I know you cant climb for s#1t! How? because no self respecting climber would be seen with that piece!

"oh my God, look what they've Dunn to that tree!" lol

Don't forget changing light bulbs...hanging x-mas lights...cleaning gutters...shearing hedges..

I'm sorry but, is this for real?? Its like the other guy with the fifty footer that he picked up for six grand! that's not four tree work climb first tom trees

That's not nice, MDS.

There is a place in every market for a lot more than super-pro climbers. And even if you are a super-pro climber, you still can't use that skill to trim a 20' tall hedge. Or hang christmas tree lights.

And I can't tell you how many times I have been asked to just raise some ratty old over grown tree, and that machine is just about perfect for that kind of work. Sure, you can do most of that work with a pole pruner. Or climb. But not as quickly.

So don't be so negative, ok?

Some of you climbers who seem to have a grudge against guys who use aerial lifts apparently don't seem to understand that not everyone's work environment is the same. I've been doing professional tree care for 24 years and am a mighty poor climber. There, I said it. 95% of the work I do can be accessed from either an aerial lift or from the ground. 1 in 20 trees I work on requires that I climb or use a ladder with safety harness and lanyard. I don't need to climb very often so I tend to get out-of-practice at it. Frankly, I could care less if any of you full-time climbers think less of me for it. I have made a lot of money over the years at what I do without the need to be an expert climber. I climb when it's necessary. For everything else, this aging guy prefers to use an aerial lift to save on his crappy knees. I don't sacrifice quality of service simply because I access a branch via a machine vs my own power. If a branch can't get reached via my lift, I climb. If I can reach it with the lift, the heck with climbing! Get off your high horses already.

We all had to start somewhere. If you haven’t done so already, check with both your insurance company and the state inspection service where you intend to get the truck inspected as to what lettering they consider appropriate. They may require a certain letter size and placement. State inspection on vehicles over 12K in my state are a nightmare! Also make sure to get your lift inspected and certified. Good luck with your new business venture!!

That's not nice, MDS.

There is a place in every market for a lot more than super-pro climbers. And even if you are a super-pro climber, you still can't use that skill to trim a 20' tall hedge. Or hang christmas tree lights.

And I can't tell you how many times I have been asked to just raise some ratty old over grown tree, and that machine is just about perfect for that kind of work. Sure, you can do most of that work with a pole pruner. Or climb. But not as quickly.

So don't be so negative, ok?

Yeah, I suppose that was a little harsh. I apologize in retrospect. Sorry AS.

Personally however, if I saw that thing pulling up to work on my tree, I would be a little apprehensive to say the least - and not because of the lack of a paintjob. Like tom said: not for treework.

Not to mention he's talking about trimming about power lines with what looks like an uninsulated and/or untested truck. Likely he has no business around power lines to begin with.

Now that's a legitimte statement. I was thinking the same thing. If he's going to be do work around power lines, he needs to have both the training and the correct equipment in order to do it safely. That kind of advice, however, can be offered in a constructive manner without bashing the guy for the appearance of his truck. Go take your afternoon nap already ya grumps...

For the guys who actually work and don't sit on Arborsite all day bashing.

here is an updated pic of the truck as we have been working on it today.

Also we don't go out and bid trimming on electric line but if a removal is being done that a branch or two goes out through the lines we can get it a few feet out from the lines so that when we cut it off it doesn't fall and take out the lines. Mostly they are just telephone lines, I do not know if everywhere is the same but here the electric lines are much higher then the phone and cable so 95% of the time they are just telephone or cable lines and I am sure has hell not climbing out on a 1-2 inch thick branch trying to cut it off.

Looking a little better.

Will post more as it comes along.

Last edited:
I will also mention again for the guys who just see the lawn service and immediately think they know everything about me.

I have already work as a tree climber years ago for another tree service in the area. So I have experience climbing and am decent at it not great but not great. I guess I am not really a bad climber but I take my time and work at my own pace no reason to price a job so low that I have to rush the job and danger myself and anyone around me.

But the bucket as arbor pro said will save me a lot of time on smaller trees so I can do alot of the work from the bucket. We work in a highly residential area, so trees are very near homes in many occasions so if I can get out near the end of limbs and trim them back so as not to rub the roof of a house or drop it in their pool or on their shed I am taking it.

There is no way I am like hey I have a bucket I am going to try and trim a 100 foot pin oak from it.

I would say 90% of the trees we get called for are under 60 foot tall.

The ones that are bigger people usually don't have the money to remove or trim or do have the money and don't want to spend it.

Thanks again for those who actually look at the whole picture and see how life really is.

I hope for the grumpies with to much time on your hand that 2009 is a better year for you and you will have enough work to keep you busy(which hopefully will make you happier) because of more money which makes life a little easier when you don't have to worry about the bills.

Not to mention if you are busy working you will have less time available to sit on Arborsite all day looking for things to bash.

As far as all this "everybody has to start somewhere" sympathy goes...

Whats wrong with a basic Weaver saddle and a 120' hank of Arborplex? Surely much safer than something designed for tinkering with cable wires.
If you try climbing and dont like it - treework is probably not for you should be your next logical thought. Not: well, I'll just get the biggest bucket I can afford, then treework will be easy..heck anyone can do it! Heck, with my low overhead I should be able to do smaller trees and still get some of that good tree service bling!!

When I was learning you climbed, the bucket was for the forman, unless the tree was real bad a$$. Nobody should start out in a bucket unless its utility work IMHO. I love this new school/kinder gentler treeworkin mentality - too much for you that climbing?? thats alright, here's a binky, take my hand and I'll gently and kindly lead you to the bucket - being sure not to raise my voice too loud, as I know you'll quit (or break something on me latter).

I know I was a little harsh a few posts back, was that any better?? :)

TKO,the lettering will be great once you finish up the truck. I cannot believe the amount of crap the members are giving you here.First they tell you to piant it,after they never bothered to read your post before replying,then they whine about the truck,and what it is,and can't do,now they are telling you where you have business being in relation to powerlines.All you asked was for some feedback on the lettering! Talk about off topic.I hope your competent enough to paint this truck on your own,you may need to start another thread so the vulchers can come tear you up on how you do it,and if your able to paint it next to the power lines.LOL.

As far as all this "everybody has to start somewhere" sympathy goes...

Whats wrong with a basic Weaver saddle and a 120' hank of Arborplex? Surely much safer than something designed for tinkering with cable wires.
If you try climbing and dont like it - treework is probably not for you should be your next logical thought. Not: well, I'll just get the biggest bucket I can afford, then treework will be easy..heck anyone can do it! Heck, with my low overhead I should be able to do smaller trees and still get some of that good tree service bling!!

When I was learning you climbed, the bucket was for the forman, unless the tree was real bad a$$. Nobody should start out in a bucket unless its utility work IMHO. I love this new school/kinder gentler treeworkin mentality - too much for you that climbing?? thats alright, here's a binky, take my hand and I'll gently and kindly lead you to the bucket - being sure not to raise my voice too loud, as I know you'll quit (or break something on me latter).

I know I was a little harsh a few posts back, was that any better?? :)

You sir, are one of the individuals whom I was referring to in my earlier post who obviously thinks that your way is the only way to do tree work. You think that, because you started out by climbing, that that's the only way a newcomer should learn. It's your way or no way.

Well, you sir, are completely full of it and of yourself. I started out with an older bucket truck and about the same climbing experience as TKD KID claims to have. My equipment was old but worked well and I took pride in trying to make it look as good as possible. Over time, with low overhead, I built my company and it was a great success until I decided to scale down for personal reasons and go part-time with it. If the equipment works properly and if the operator knows what he is doing with it, who are you to tell him that he has to be a top-notch climber in order to be successful in this trade? Maybe climbing is a necessity in some areas of the world but, it sure isn't where I live. All of the tree services use bucket trucks. Very very few of them ever climb. THEY DON'T NEED TO!

Your advice is not helful to this guy. Go find another thread to grump about in. Grrrrrr - now you've got me all grumpy and needing a nap! good thing it's friday. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back