What do you think about lettering my truck this way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for TKO's truck.
I was silently defending you at the beginning as I have seen some pretty rough looking Davey and Asplundh trucks over the years.

Personally I think if the truck was restored it would be better than most anything you can buy new.

I have a buddy who's work trucks are all restored 70's fords and they are some of the best looking company trucks around.

Personally I think if the truck was restored it would be better than most anything you can buy new.

I have a buddy who's work trucks are all restored 70's fords and they are some of the best looking company trucks around.
:agree2: id love to have a street rod like old school restored 1 ton dump.

Last edited:
Haha but you have to paint the chipper to match. A restored/ modded 70's 1 ton with a chipper to match in tow would be bada$$.

Edit: better yet would be a 1 1/4 ton 50's chevy flat bed.
crome old school craigers all the way round with staind hard wood sides. yeah the chipper wood be a new morbark painted ta mach with crome stack. bling bling

Nice truck, if only it was 4x4 it would be Perfect.

Nice lil truck .
It looks like an elec pump on right side behind cab. With no bed overhang past the hinge point on the bed,is it hard to dump with a maxed out load?
Not trying to put down your tk in any way.I like it ,andI like the long tool boxes.Did you build the bed your self?

Last edited:
No i bought it with the flat bed and brand spankin new boxes. Because i installed one of those aftermarket dumps it was less than ideal. These kits are fine for light farm use but it did not lift anywhere near its claims.
I found the ladder rack for sale on side of the road.
Now im wishing i would have kept her.

old trucks

I currently am running an old school 88 gmc one ton dump 4x4 mason body dump. Its been a good old truck. I rebuilt the cab a couple years ago and have generally put a small fortune into it over the years - still beats payments though.

Looks like I'm probably gonna buy another one, this one is an 85 chevy, basically the same truck as above. Its pretty damn rough but it can be saved and I can do body work, welding and painting a little. My dad had a body shop/was a mechanic (amongst other things) so I learned quite a bit growing up. The nice thing will be having two basically identical trucks to work on sinse if you can work on one the other is the same. Also I can grab up old parts trucks cheap and save or have parts rebuilt and waiting.

Diesels are sure nice though, I'll have to wait until I pay off the bucket and chipper.

Diesels are sure nice though, I'll have to wait until I pay off the bucket and chipper.

Find yourself a wrecked and rolled over duramax and buy it up. Spend some time swapping and you'll have the latest diesel power in a classic body style.

Find yourself a wrecked and rolled over duramax and buy it up. Spend some time swapping and you'll have the latest diesel power in a classic body style.

Nice thought but a little out of my skill set. Actually I'm running a Jasper 350 with the RV cam for towing, that cam is such a difference I would have never believed the way it pulls compared to the old motor.

One of those 500 ci plus crate motors with the right cam would probably be pretty sweet though - and a nice flowmaster exhaust... now we're talkin my style: "old school with a bite", lol.

One of those 500 ci plus crate motors with the right cam would probably be pretty sweet though - and a nice flowmaster exhaust... now we're talkin my style: "old school with a bite", lol.

Gm makes a 572ci crate motor, 620 horsepower.....:greenchainsaw:

Find a truck with a factory big block and the 572 would bolt right in......

Yeah, I wasnt sure of the size, thanks HOE. I've often wondered how one of those big dogs would fair against a super duty?? any thoughts?

Too bad the economy probably wont afford me such dreams for a while :cry:

its more easy said than done. you will need many things. a built up trans,custom oil pan&trans pan, huge elect fuel pump, the list goes on and on. and risk braking many parts is very high. the motor you talk about is for a drag race'n. id rather use a purpose built 350:) a better idea woul be a cummings swap

Last edited:
its more easy said than done. you will need many things. a built up trans,custom oil pan&trans pan, huge elect fuel pump, the list goes on and on. and risk braking many parts is very high. the motor you talk about is for a drag race'n. id rather use a purpose built 350:)

I know a guy with a 572 in his DD/ offroad truck. Running it in front of a stock sm465 4 speed. He is running an oil pan off the original 454 (its a simple sheet metal unit with internal baffles and extra capacity). He is just running an electric inline fuel pump on a returnless fuel setup. If you can afford the motor then the simple mods to drop it in are easy.

Ooo yeah i build trucks/cars in my spare time.

I know a guy with a 572 in his DD/ offroad truck. Running it in front of a stock sm465 4 speed. He is running an oil pan off the original 454 (its a simple sheet metal unit with internal baffles and extra capacity). He is just running an electric inline fuel pump on a returnless fuel setup. If you can afford the motor then the simple mods to drop it in are easy.

Ooo yeah i build trucks/cars in my spare time.

I think alot of it would be having the right cam - that and generally trying not to do dually burnouts, lol. Those trannys and rearends are pretty damn strong as long as you can drive. As for putting it in, all you really need is a parts truck for all the pulleys, mounts etc., bell housing could be stock as well, small block would work. A 454 with a decent cam and more compression than wimpy stock 454's come with and a good towing cam would probably be a little more realistic however...just not as much fun.

A 454 with a decent RV cam and the heads to match is really a good combination. Will tow just about anything you want.

Realistically a 350 built for towing, and a truck with the gears for towing will tow most tree gear around without much issue. A chipper and a load of chips isn't that heavy. I've towed a lot with my 1/2 ton chevy and it keeps coming back for more.

Last edited:
I used to own six '78 and '79 chevy 3/4 and 1-tons in my tree care and landscaping business (except for the bucket and chip trucks which were F700s or F800s with 361 gassers or cat diesels in them). I wasn't much of a mechanic back then (still not much of one) but, didn't need to be when it came to maintaining the 350s and 454s. I remember having a local body shop put all new fenders, doors, hoods and rocker panels on three of the pickups and repaint them all for a cost of only $1500 each (chassis only). The great part was, if a fender got wrecked and had to be replaced, it could be done for a few hundred bucks, not a few thousand like it would cost with one of today's newer trucks.

I did use one of the 1-tons with a 350 as a chip truck for awhile. It easily handled an 11-yard chip box and whisper chipper. I even towed my 1800 vermeer a few times. Handled it fine. Filled up fast though. :)

What do you all think of this idea on lettering my truck.

A few years back a neighbor had a large tree removed by 'someone he knew in the business'.

The guy showed up in a pretty nice bucket truck with 'Binford' lettered in the perfect font and color across the length of his boom.

Guy knew what he was doing and had a sense of humor.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back