What do you think my splitter is worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al-k

cuten wood
Reaction score
I'm looking to sell my old splitter and really have no idea what to ask for it. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20180620_144747703.jpg IMG_20180620_144800882.jpg IMG_20180620_144854422.jpg IMG_20180620_144952173.jpg IMG_20180620_144936799.jpg

It will not work for me, but who cares. Ask $850 an plan on letting it go for $550. If you wait until November 25 You might get an offer for $975. Just take a guess and expect to win some loose some. Thanks

I’d say in the $500-$800 range depending on time of year and local market. I’m WI I see homemade ones around 350-500 depending on condition, and manufactured ones at $500+.

And +1 on selling it in fall. Selling it now is like trying to sell a boat in January.

Well there are two prices: One is what it might be worth given infinite time, the other is what is will sell for NOW.

I price things in the latter range, so $500 will make it sell.

I agree it's not the best time to be selling. Most are not busy with wood for 2-3 years from now like I am.

Something led you to a new splitter for $999, so whatever that is needs to factor in. Unless you got a hell of a deal your new splitter is likely pretty similar to the old one. So why the new one?

There's two approaches depending on your desire to haggle......start high ($850 as suggested above, willing to settle foe maybe $500) or $500 to maybe $600 and pretty darn firm on price.

Market survey

Just checked the CT Craigslist. Pricing for similar style splitters ready to work, was running in the $600-$850 price range. No idea as to what they actually will sell for. $800 plus price is too close to a new unit with warranty to be attractive.

As stated, season will make a big difference in demand. If you wait until Labor Day demand will be higher, but most likely so will supply. That said you may get an extra $50 to $75 by waiting.

Try putting a $700 price tag on it and see what happens. $500 or so is the likely offer. Things you can do to make the unit more attractive, change the engine oil and plug. Put some Seafoam in the gas and run the engine for a while to clean the carb. If it needs replacing get an air filter. If the hydraulic fluid and / or filter needs replacing do it. You may not fully recoup these expenses, but they will certainly make the splitter easier to sell.

Last thing, and then I'll shut up, have wood available to demonstate the splitter. Not just 10 inch red oak or ash but some gnarly stuff as well. I've been with several friends and relatives to look at used splitters and always hit my treelength pile in the landing for a dozen or more knotty rounds to bring. Too often the seller just wants to start the engine and extend and retract the cylinder under no load because he has nothing to split. If you're willing to demonstrate, that goes a long way to convince the buyer there is nothing being hidden.

Take Care

I'd go ahead and post it for what you want. Who cares if it sells today or 6 months from now. You may still get what you want even though it's out of season. Not gonna hurt anything if you try.

I'm looking to sell my old splitter and really have no idea what to ask for it. Any help would be appreciated.
View attachment 658834 View attachment 658835 View attachment 658836 View attachment 658837 View attachment 658839
Looks like regular new price there in the US goes for about $1100 for that make and model.
They go for about $1800 new for that one here in Canada.
I bought my Forest King 30 ton brand new for a screaming deal of $1500 CAD at TSC at the end of the season. (Regular price this year is $2712)
I then had to buy the hydraulic oil for it too.
If I were you, I'd paint it all up a nice red to match the OEM paint and ask $850 and only drop to $750.

I agree it's not the best time to be selling. Most are not busy with wood for 2-3 years from now like I am.

Something led you to a new splitter for $999, so whatever that is needs to factor in. Unless you got a hell of a deal your new splitter is likely pretty similar to the old one. So why the new one?

There's two approaches depending on your desire to haggle......start high ($850 as suggested above, willing to settle foe maybe $500) or $500 to maybe $600 and pretty darn firm on price.
the new one is 27 ton and 11 second cycle time. i have around 15 big oaks that the gypsy moths killed and hope to sell some wood to pay for new toy.

Latest posts

Back