What does Asplundh Tree Experts do with....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteindustries

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
Anyone out there work for Asplundh up here in New Hampshire? I am wondering what you guys do with you hardwood?Allot of the time I see it on the shoulder after they have been threw clearing R.O.W's.....
Always looking for a good hardwood supply....
Allan

They leave it on the right of way for the homeowner or whomever wants it.

I just got a reply from....

Hi,
I just heard from the local office, they say the wood belongs to the abutters.
So let me get this clear,they come in to clear the right of way, whether the owner wants it or not(Typically NOT) and then leave the wood in their front yard whether the owner wants it or not.lol
Hmmm??

That is my plan.

That is my plan, Just seems like a strange way to do business....Guess it saves them a ton on cleanup expenses just leave it whether the home owner wants it or not.

Whiteindustries said:
That is my plan, Just seems like a strange way to do business....Guess it saves them a ton on cleanup expenses just leave it whether the home owner wants it or not.
Being a utility guy myself and knowing Asplundh guys, heres the deal, talk to them, case of beer now and then means phone calls about good wood. Kind of the same way here, says on the w/o, buck to firewood, firewood stays.

Sounds like a good plan...

Sounds like a good approach.
I don't mind rewarding the crew,I figure I have to pay one way or the other. I'd rather see the guys doing the work get the reward rather than someone sitting behind a desk somewhere.
Short of buying my own equipment(Been there done that) to clear lots,I'll have to pay for most of my supply.
I've always been under the belief that if I am making money everyone involved in that should benefit also.

They dont leave it cut to length here.

TreeCo said:
They don't ususally leave a lot of big wood and it usually disapears fast as it is already cut to length.

Within a mile of my place there are no less than fifteen logs sitting off the shoulder various lengths, smallest approx 15 feet.
I don't know if being on state R.O.W's has anything to do with how they deal with the logs or not???
I have seen some home owners out cutting up some of the logs but most Arnt setup for that kind of work.

hi

I work for the big orange
I have a Bandit 200+ and i like to chip it that way there is no confusion but when people ask I tell that it belongs to the home owner and its up to them to ask for it
asfar as just comming in and doing what ever we want that is up to the power co. if you have coop you do not have much say becouse there is an easment if you have psnh you should have got a card onthe door or some dude talkedto you you can tell to pick it up and they may bring you some
good luck:monkey:

I buy some firewood from a nameless big A worker, he cuts it to length at work, and goes back to get it and delivers it to me...

BlueRidgeMark said:
That's called theft.
Oh, here we go again, Mr.Morality is back, hey, if they are not sawlogs, buck em up. Imagine if Mark was in the army as a leader, hand grenade in the tent......

BlueRidgeMark said:
So if you see a pile, ask at the house.

Sound advice.

We had some serious wind damage in February and Asplund cleared a few trees off of the lines on my frontage. The guys were gone for no more than five minutes (according to a neighbor) before a scavenger grabbed the wood.

If he would have asked I would have let him take it, maybe even let him cut wood on my property if he respected the land and kept a clean wood lot. Instead he's nothing more than a common thief.

clearance said:
Oh, here we go again, Mr.Morality is back, hey, if they are not sawlogs, buck em up. Imagine if Mark was in the army as a leader, hand grenade in the tent......

Buck em up? Yeah.

Steal them? No.

I appreciate your candor though. Not many folks would take such a stand here in the US. Many are morally corrupt...few admit it.

I'll clarify something, trees cut down by the powerlines may well be in front of your house but more likely than not, are not on your property. There is always a setback or road allowance, many think they own right up to the sidewalk or the curb, not so. Furthermore, many think that the trees cut down in front of thier house belong to them, hmmm, many people were outraged when we tore down thier fence and cut down "thier" trees, surveyors don't lie. I got the last laugh on these people a few times, satisfying to say the least, after hearing the ranting and abuse, "you'de better stop, my lawyer, etc." Done utilty for years, seen it all, blah, blah, blah, the little steel survey pin tells the truth, go back in your house.

b1rdman said:
Sound advice.

We had some serious wind damage in February and Asplund cleared a few trees off of the lines on my frontage. The guys were gone for no more than five minutes (according to a neighbor) before a scavenger grabbed the wood.

If he would have asked I would have let him take it, maybe even let him cut wood on my property if he respected the land and kept a clean wood lot. Instead he's nothing more than a common thief.

well if the wood is out near the street it would seem as if you were throwing it out near the house though that is a different situation

jason d said:
well if the wood is out near the street it would seem as if you were throwing it out near the house though that is a different situation

I see what you're saying...but it's not that easy. I can only speak for NH, and to be honest I can only verify my situation. Local ordinances and community bi-laws can go beyond state laws.

Most of what Clearance says is true where I live as well, but after a hazard tree is felled the wood belongs to the owner of the property. "Setback" is a gray area. It's not "your" property , but it's not the property of the state either.

As far as "throwing it out"...it's illegal to pick through garbage here to. If there's anything we're not short of in NH it's laws. "Live Free or Die" my arse.

Bottom line. Be respectful, use common sense, and get ready for some buckshot in the buttocks if you steal wood on my land.

Funny story, doing a utility removal, two big red cedars (3'dbh, 100'-120') on private property, owner permitted on the work order. We cut them down, cleaned up, the lady in the house came out. My foreman asked her about the logs, nice logs, she was like "oh, Someone will buy them?" Polite older lady, made us coffee and got the phone# for a guy that has a self loader off my foreman. We bucked the logs for her to the right lengths and left. A couple of months later we were told by the utility guy that the shi^t had hit the fan. What happened is that she ok'ed the removals, collected the money for the logs and moved. Problem was she was a renter, landlord had no idea, he freaked, where are my trees, arghhhh!!!!

b1rdman said:
"Setback" is a gray area. It's not "your" property , but it's not the property of the state either.

I don't know what a "setback" is in this context. Maybe something in your jurisdiction, but I have not run across that term in studying for a real estate license, except as pertaining to distances of buildings from property lines.

If you're talking about an EASEMENT, then it's not a gray area at all. It's YOUR property. The holder of the easement has rights to do certain things on that property, but the ownership of the property is crystal clear. Now, the terms of the easement MAY make it impossible for you to USE your property in any meaningful way, but it's still yours.

For example, in many areas the county or state will have an easement to run public roads between plots of land. That easement pretty much makes that part of the property useless to you, except when you drive on part of it to get to your house. I had that situation in one house I owned. The piece of land I owned (or shared with the bank!) extended to the middle of the street. It was MINE. I paid taxes on it.

Fat lot of good it did me. The half of the street AND the public sidewalk was made available for public use. I had nothing to say about it. Couldn't order anyone off that part of my property.

However, the trees that were in the "boulevard strip" between the street and the sidewalk belonged to the city. Oh, I was responsible for their upkeep, but they were not mine, though they did grow on my property. It's enough to make your head spin. :dizzy:

Back