• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

What dump truck should i use

firecatf7333

firecatf7333

ArboristSite Lurker
I currently use my duramax truck and 16' gooseneck dump trailer. I've always thought about getting a small "dump truck"/ landscape dump truck to use for my firewood operation. Here are the details.

I need at least 500 sq ft of dump box. Prefer 550 sq ft. Rigth now i'm at 16x6.9x 4.5-5 ft. I mound up over 4 ft racks so its around 5 ft= 550 sq ft- I get about 7 face cord on load. I only deliver full 7 face cord dump loads.

So if i went with a light duty dump truck with a 14 ft box i'd need 5.5 ft racks. I dont' even know if my case skidsteer would lift over a dump truck with 5.5ft racks. my dump trailer doesn't sit as high off ground as a dump truck would.

I load firewood with case 1845c- lift height around 111 inches with bucket level.

I'm only hauling 7-10k lbs of weight, so i'd like a light/medium duty truck. I like the size of the mitsubushi fuso and isuzu dump trucks. Would be a little scared if something broke as parts are expensive, but i've heard their reliable trucks. Also, i need the best MPG i can get. my duramax now averages 10-12 loaded then empty. I'd like to get at least 10 mpg. I'd also like to stay around 10k for the truck. I would use truck for about 8k miles a year, distance within 50 miles of home. Idk if international, mack, chevy, ford, etc have a dump that would be suitable for what i want. Newer kodiaks/chevys are nice, but there expensive.

The dump trailer works decent now. Just thought i could get in tighter spots, maybe lower operating costs. Truck tires/dump trailer tires/brakes/etc.

Thoughts please

Goose IBEW

Goose IBEW

ArboristSite Operative
You should be able to find an under CDL rig. The International's with the DT466 seem hard to beat. That's what I hope to upgrade to. I currently run an '87 Chevy C70 with the 8.0 Detroit Diesel. Over the past 5 years I have put brakes, a rear axle seal, tires and fluids in the truck, that's it. I average 8-11mpg's depending on what I am doing. With the miles you expect to put on, an older cream puff may just fit the bill nicely. I have seen late 80's rigs going for 5-7 grand in pretty decent shape.

Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Hell I was just happy getting a '63 f600 with 364' capacity... I would love to have either the int'l referenced above or a smaller more handy package in an Isuzu w/a 12' dump bed. More trips, but WAY better steering, a bullet-proof Isuzu diesel (maker or Duramax) and a very handy package in a residential setting... Otherwise I'd like a Int'l 4300 series w/a 18' dump bed...

NIP Group
Mowingman

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
You can not haul that amount of wood and stay under CDL wieght limits. So with that said, I would look for a medium duty truck with a GVW of between 26,000 and 33,000.
There are a lot of IH truck models, with the DT466, that fit in that size range. Also, look for an older Topkick/Kodiak. They are very affordable and usually have a Cat 3116 or 3126 engine in them.
These trucks usually have a long enough frame that you can use a longer bed, thus lower sides.
For example, I just bought a very nice 1993 Chevy Kodiak for $5200.00. It is a flatbed, set up to pull a gooseneck trailer. I plan on adding racks to the flatbed, so I can pull my trailer with 4 cords, and haul 2 additional cords of the front part of the flatbed.
Jeff

firecatf7333

firecatf7333

ArboristSite Lurker

I'm leaning towards the isuzu smaller compact trucks. I think it would get better mileage than a larger medium duty truck. I can stay under cdl limit of 26k. I'm only hauling around 8,000lbs of wood (slabwood-little lighter than normal wood-). If i have to get a CDL B i will, not a big deal. Problem is finding one in decent shape for under 10k