What dump truck should i use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firecatf7333

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently use my duramax truck and 16' gooseneck dump trailer. I've always thought about getting a small "dump truck"/ landscape dump truck to use for my firewood operation. Here are the details.

I need at least 500 sq ft of dump box. Prefer 550 sq ft. Rigth now i'm at 16x6.9x 4.5-5 ft. I mound up over 4 ft racks so its around 5 ft= 550 sq ft- I get about 7 face cord on load. I only deliver full 7 face cord dump loads.

So if i went with a light duty dump truck with a 14 ft box i'd need 5.5 ft racks. I dont' even know if my case skidsteer would lift over a dump truck with 5.5ft racks. my dump trailer doesn't sit as high off ground as a dump truck would.

I load firewood with case 1845c- lift height around 111 inches with bucket level.

I'm only hauling 7-10k lbs of weight, so i'd like a light/medium duty truck. I like the size of the mitsubushi fuso and isuzu dump trucks. Would be a little scared if something broke as parts are expensive, but i've heard their reliable trucks. Also, i need the best MPG i can get. my duramax now averages 10-12 loaded then empty. I'd like to get at least 10 mpg. I'd also like to stay around 10k for the truck. I would use truck for about 8k miles a year, distance within 50 miles of home. Idk if international, mack, chevy, ford, etc have a dump that would be suitable for what i want. Newer kodiaks/chevys are nice, but there expensive.

The dump trailer works decent now. Just thought i could get in tighter spots, maybe lower operating costs. Truck tires/dump trailer tires/brakes/etc.

Thoughts please

You should be able to find an under CDL rig. The International's with the DT466 seem hard to beat. That's what I hope to upgrade to. I currently run an '87 Chevy C70 with the 8.0 Detroit Diesel. Over the past 5 years I have put brakes, a rear axle seal, tires and fluids in the truck, that's it. I average 8-11mpg's depending on what I am doing. With the miles you expect to put on, an older cream puff may just fit the bill nicely. I have seen late 80's rigs going for 5-7 grand in pretty decent shape.

Hell I was just happy getting a '63 f600 with 364' capacity... I would love to have either the int'l referenced above or a smaller more handy package in an Isuzu w/a 12' dump bed. More trips, but WAY better steering, a bullet-proof Isuzu diesel (maker or Duramax) and a very handy package in a residential setting... Otherwise I'd like a Int'l 4300 series w/a 18' dump bed...

You can not haul that amount of wood and stay under CDL wieght limits. So with that said, I would look for a medium duty truck with a GVW of between 26,000 and 33,000.
There are a lot of IH truck models, with the DT466, that fit in that size range. Also, look for an older Topkick/Kodiak. They are very affordable and usually have a Cat 3116 or 3126 engine in them.
These trucks usually have a long enough frame that you can use a longer bed, thus lower sides.
For example, I just bought a very nice 1993 Chevy Kodiak for $5200.00. It is a flatbed, set up to pull a gooseneck trailer. I plan on adding racks to the flatbed, so I can pull my trailer with 4 cords, and haul 2 additional cords of the front part of the flatbed.
Jeff

I'm leaning towards the isuzu smaller compact trucks. I think it would get better mileage than a larger medium duty truck. I can stay under cdl limit of 26k. I'm only hauling around 8,000lbs of wood (slabwood-little lighter than normal wood-). If i have to get a CDL B i will, not a big deal. Problem is finding one in decent shape for under 10k

Latest posts

Back