What gear for new climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XJPete87

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What gear would you recommend for a new climber? not looking to spend a fortune but would like to be safe and have good equipment. thanks for any info.

Here's what I posted to someone else with similar circumstances.

----------

Arborist rope somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 ft. (this is probably going to be your biggest expense) $150-200

Entry level arborist saddle or if you're really broke but need something to practice in you can buy a rock climbing harness, but eventually you'll have to take the plunge and get an arborist saddle. (because of comfort issues, ansi standards, substantially more secure, and can carry larger gear ie. your chainsaw) Bare minimum rock climbing harness, $60 (for practicing climbing techniques only)

Pear shaped locking biner for main attachment $16-20

Learning a tie-in knot, like the anchor hitch (leave a long tail to tie a blakes) FREE

Learning the blakes hitch (your friction hitch to capture progress) FREE

Prussik knot (for foot loop below blake's, if needed) FREE

Education on using doubled rope technique (search around the boards) FREE

----------

Hope this helps. (If you're interested in SRT aka single rope technique, expect things to get significantly more expensive and be prepared to learn quite a bit more.)

All the best!

-Josh

Last edited:
As Josh pointed out the three real minimum pieces of equipment you'll need are the rope, a saddle and one auto-locking carabiner for DdRT. You can get a cheap climbing rope from anyone of the equipment sponsors here for about $100. Same goes for the saddle. I would add a inexpensive but essential book, The Tree Climbers Companion.

I would add a inexpensive but essential book, The Tree Climbers Companion.

I agree. The book will be invaluable to getting started. You might want to also add "Knots & Ropes for Climbers" to your book collection. To make sure you get the right book, the author is Duane Raleigh. It is as inexpensive as "The Tree Climbers Companion," and just as valuable. A lot of rock climbing applications are in it but it is one of the best books ever written on knots. (As far as ease of learning is concerned.) It will also teach you how to take care of your newly purchased rope and other bits will just be interesting reading.

Have fun!

-Josh

thanks for the responses. I used to do some rock climbing in my younger years and I'm familiar with its gear and harness.. I will not be going this route.. I'm looking for a good comfortable saddle. I did alot of SRT ascending and repelling. Familiar with prusik knots for ascending. I'm more interested in the DRT techniques and gear that goes along with it. I've done some reading on the blakes hitch and other related knots..

Guess I should have been more specific about inexpensive.. $1000 expensive.. $200-400 not so bad for good gear..

I'd like some specifics on which brands/models are better and list of gear needed.. Any help here would be much appreciated.

So far: Static arborist rope, saddle, locking caribiner...

How do you protect the rope over the branch?

So far: Static arborist rope, saddle, locking caribiner...

How do you protect the rope over the branch?

Not to get picky... the arborist rope would be a semi-static, no big deal though, just as long as the rope is manufactured for tree climbing use.

Two classic options for protecting the rope and cambium/inner bark, Jepson's Tree Climbers Companions explains both, how to install from the ground etc.
1. Leather sleeve
2. Ring/ring saver

Add to your list: climber's helmet, throw bags and throwline if you haven't already.
-moss

Buy the right saddle the first time. You'll waste money if you don't try it before you buy it. The most costly item on your wish list . Even if you can find a local arborist supply try it on hang in it and buy it at a better price elsewhere or where you tryed it on if the price is right. I prefer a bosun seat(prepared to be fragged), but you'll have to decide. Good luck

Unfortuneatly there are no arborist supply stores close by.. At least I haven't found any in the Northern VA area.. I was looking at Baileys and the have some Weaver saddles that I like the look of.. The have both a 4D model and DoubleD..

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=01032+SM&catID=1392

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=21280+SM&catID=1392

Has anybody had experience with this brand? I was looking at Petzl too but the weaver seemed to have more gear loops and such.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Yes, I have owned both the Weaver and Petzl saddles.

You are correct, Weaver does have more gear loops and utility attachments. I can't see where you would need saw snaps and a lot of loops if you are rec climbing. I would think that all you would need to carry with you is a few slings and maybe a ditty bag for pulleys, ascenders and whatnot. The weaver is more of an econo saddle. The Petzl is more comfortable IMO but needs more customization (for what I do). My Petzl has no rope rings or saw snaps so I had to customize it to accommodate my gear that I carry aloft.

I have the same Weaver 4 D saddle as that in your link hanging in the shop and worn out. It was a good saddle and I got years of use out of it. I had used that style for several years. Just a no frills work saddle. I have worked out of the 2 D saddles as well. That is what you call a floating bridge saddle and is designed to allow the rope to slide and position conveniently to one side or the other while you are positioning and limb walking. Both are decent entry level saddles but the Petzl will be more comfy in my opinion.

Guess I should have mentioned this will be used for both recreation and work. However I'll lean more towards the arborist side of things since that's what I'm thinking about getting into.

If money is tight the Weaver will serve you well. If money is no issue then check out a Petzl or one of the other, more modern saddles.

Call up a distributor that your interested in purchasing from and explain that you are interested in buying a saddle but want to try it out. I did this a couple of years ago and companies where more then welcome to help me. Only important thing to remember is to treat the saddle like glass and keep it in like new condition when trying it on/out. Keep it clean and they will return your money or exchange it for a difference model you are interested in.

If money is tight the Weaver will serve you well. If money is no issue then check out a Petzl or one of the other, more modern saddles.

What are the other "more modern saddles"? I've only found one other brand other than Petzl and Weaver.. Cant remember the name at the moment. Just wondering so I can look them up.. thanks.

Well, Weaver also makes a Cougar saddle that looks pretty good to me. Buckingham makes a Master that some like. There are MANY to choose from.

I would suggest going to Sherrill and Wesspur's websites (top of the page here) and looking their saddles over. While you're there request a catalog from both.

Well, Weaver also makes a Cougar saddle that looks pretty good to me. Buckingham makes a Master that some like. There are MANY to choose from.

I would suggest going to Sherrill and Wesspur's websites (top of the page here) and looking their saddles over. While you're there request a catalog from both.

Was just looking at the cougar.. I like this one (at least on the web and reading peoples reviews).. Wesspur has a climbing kit that includes this saddle for $615.. Seems to inlcude everything people has mentioned here..

http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/deluxe-rope-climbing-kit.html

Any comments on this kit.. Thanks for all the help guys.

Unfortuneatly there are no arborist supply stores close by.. At least I haven't found any in the Northern VA area.. I was looking at Baileys and the have some Weaver saddles that I like the look of.. The have both a 4D model and DoubleD..

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=01032+SM&catID=1392

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=21280+SM&catID=1392

Has anybody had experience with this brand? I was looking at Petzl too but the weaver seemed to have more gear loops and such.

Thanks for your help.

You really should plan a day to visit Blue Ridge Arborist Supply in Culpepper. They are also a site sponsor. They have a pretty good selection of saddles and ropes setup so you can hang and climb a little in them. Spending this kind of money and not having experienced the equipment before, I can't recommend going there enough.

Latest posts

Back