What has 50 years given us? ( In saw design )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I run OLD saws. Have the new ones, but prefer the saws from an earlier time. A VERY few exceptions. Love the now out dated ms461's and "prior to 2010" 372 class saws the most. And as part of the hobby always look back in time to see the roots of a company. ( Yes I think the 572 is an awesome saw, have one thank you, and have 562's as well ) AND grown up with Homelite and evolved to Husqvarna / Jonsered really never bridged that gap looking back at the early Husqvarna's as Homelite & Jonsered's took the "oxygen" away from that endeavor. BIG miss. Was given a L77 as a Christmas present. A runner. And an eye opener. A mid 1970's design with it's design roots back in the late 1950's..... SO after being educated...I put a few saws on the scales to see how much "weight" difference 45 years has given in saw design. What do you think? And then ran that L77 and a warmed up 365 "Special" ( 2003 saw, pre X-torq Original Edition AND a pure "Junk Pile" built from used parts ... saw. NOT high on the "woke saw" charts :) ) on the same job. documented here :

Love my old gear drive reed valve saws, but without old growth to fall they are out of their element.
Closed Port Cylinders :yes:
Spring AV :yes:
Nikasil Plating :yes:
Synthetic oil :yes:
Computer controlled Carburetors :dumb2:
Catalytic Converters :dumb2:
4-Mix :dumb2::dumb2::dumb2::dumb2:

Old saws had a button on the handle that could be used to hold the throttle partly open. Obvious, and everyone understood it, now we have a do-everything control lever and few people know how to get a fast idle.
Let's not forget how reliable the old points ignition was, no need to comment on the reliability of our new electronic ignition modules. Of course you don't have to pull the FW and adjust points anymore, not like that was something you had to do every year, unlike the cars of the era.

I quite like old saws too especially lemons
20201203_211805.jpg
82cc with a 24 and half full its around 23LBs
Nice brake nice AV auto oils like a boss and a manual pump too. Sounds amazing and at 45 years old still has decades of life in it thanks to modern oil.
And it's sisters too...
20201029_133727.jpg

I'd like a couple 2 series huskies a 66 and a 81 or 88. Not really interested in paying stihl money for them its only a hobby not a job.
They still get a work out though.
20190817_144458.jpg

Yeah old stuff is cool

View attachment 879674
Nice brake nice AV auto oils like a boss and a manual pump too. Sounds amazing and at 45 years old still has decades of life in it thanks to modern oil.
And it's sisters too...
View attachment 879678

I'd like a couple 2 series huskies a 66 and a 81 or 88. Not really interested in paying stihl money for them its only a hobby not a job.
View attachment 879681

Yeah old stuff is cool

When I was growing up, Dad had a Pre-Chainbrake Mac SP60, that I learned to run a saw with. I Wish that I had it now

He traded it to a Friend years ago, Mark passed away and I lost touch with Bonnie, I Hope it is still in a forgotten corner of her garage, I would Love to bring that Ol Mac Home, but it isn’t looking Good for that, but hey, I play the Lottery, so I am an Optimist and Stihl Hopeful

Doug

When I was growing up, Dad had a Pre-Chainbrake Mac SP60, that I learned to run a saw with. I Wish that I had it now

He traded it to a Friend years ago, Mark passed away and I lost touch with Bonnie, I Hope it is still in a forgotten corner of her garage, I would Love to bring that Ol Mac Home, but it isn’t looking Good for that, but hey, I play the Lottery, so I am an Optimist and Stihl Hopeful

Doug

That's quite a special saw. Maybe nows a good time to reach out :)

How old were you hanging off that?

That's quite a special saw. Maybe nows a good time to reach out :)

How old were you hanging off that?
I’m 55 now, it was an early SP60, those came out around 70-72 as I recall, probably about 10-11 under supervision, by 14-15, I was taking our old 14 Dorsett runabout with the 35HP Evinrude Lark out boat logging by myself and with friends, both for Home and Boathouse firewood as well as our Beach Bonfires.

Growing up, my parents had a Boathouse on the Columbia River, there were all kinds of places to grab logs off the beach and wingdams, especially the wingdam below the log dump, we got a LOT of firewood with the boats, our moorage had it’s own launch ramp, and we would skid the logs into the parking lot and buck them into rounds there

My Wife can’t Believe that my parents would cut me loose with a boat and chainsaw at 14-15, still have all my arms and legs, even Fingers, Eyes and Noses too. It was a Different Time and Different World back then, I paid attention to and Respected what my Parents taught me

Not many Kids that I would turn loose like that these days, nor would I trade today’s kids Childhoods on a Bet, I had an Awesome childhood that today’s kids will never know or even understand

Doug

Wow man. Definitely times have changed. I was a 90s childhood kid on a farm and to look now its changed hugely. It seems 90s kids kinda got the last lick of that older style parenting and before cell fones and computers and gaming was a thing.

But the stuff you got upto is next level thats a heck of shove into the working world

I hope you find that old Mac if not on a concrete floor and not straight gassed it will still live

My parents bought the float and shell, when I was 6 months old, they did all the plumbing, electrical and interior themselves, our boathouse had 2 small bedrooms, a basic bath, kitchen, large living room/dining room area with a Franklin Fireplace, and the main reason for it’s very being, the “Boatwell”.

The moorage where our boathouse was moored, was less than 15 minutes from our “Land House “, but a World away, we spent most weekends there, even during the Winter, it was like another neighborhood, where many were even closer than with their “Land Neighbors”, sharing the passion for boating, we often vacationed with other members from the moorage. I learned a RESPECT for the water at a very early age, and the responsibility learned there carried over into other aspects, such as chainsaws as well. I learned a Very Healthy Respect for what a chainsaw was capable of early too

33000ABD-905B-4DCE-99EA-4EA34B015450.jpeg
This is “Plum Crazy “‘ NOT the boat we used for logging, this picture was taken back in August, if you expand the pic, you can see where our boathouse was moored, it would have been the fourth house from the shore, on the front walk.
Unfortunately Dad sold the place many years ago, and Sadly it was later destroyed in a Fire. My Mom was the Original Owner of Plum Crazy, she is a 1968 Stevens “SK” class Flat bottom with a Corvette spec’d 327 with a “V-Drive” .

This past June, Mom gave me the BEST Father’s Day Gift that I could have asked for, she handed me a plain white envelope, when I opened it I was Speechless, it had the Titles for Plum Crazy and her Trailer along with a Bill of Sale, Gifting her to me. 52 years old, and she still turns heads, and gets a lot of questions at the ramp and beach

Doug

View attachment 879674
And it's sisters too...
View attachment 879678

View attachment 879681

Yeah old stuff is cool
How's your hearing in your right ear!!!

Latest posts

Back