What has 50 years given us? ( In saw design )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stihl 036 was an exciting new saw for me. I got one as soon as it came out. A real step up from my Stihl 028 Super.

Also the Stihl 044 was exciting. Got it too when it first hit the market. We had 4 on the tree crew.

I'm pretty fond of my Stihl 241M-C and it gets a lot of use.

I've got some 038's to sell when I get motivated.

So based on what I’ve read here not much has really changed as far as design in the past 50 years.
Guess depends on perspective. Materials , Anti Vib, Autotune, Manufacturing especially ability to cast complex shapes. Not certain building a 572 was even possible 30 years ago much less 50. From another...fun factor, that's a little different as that's a personal thing. Then there is the physics, efficiency turning fuel/air mix to rotational energy is certainly better than 50 years ago, not as much difference from 25 years ago. By the 1980's all the manufacturers knew how to make a two stroke run well. And THAT is where the arguments begin. I can buy any saw made in the western world. I have a couple 562's, a 572, will get a 592 as well. But nothing I have experienced is any more effective for what I do than the tweaked 372 class saws I build for myself. AND right now the 48mm's are the first choice for me when I reach into the almost 50 saw collection to get work done. And I have fun running my old Swedish iron, that's intangible, really impressed with the L77's. An addition of a versacut bar, elx chain, and an eight pin sprocket the chain speed in the cut is closing in with a modern 70cc saw. So everyone is right with their opinion, the pro with the latest and greatest, the vintage enthusiast with a strong L77, the guys building kits..those decision are right for them, what's wrong with that? Saws cut wood now just as they did 50 years ago, and folks love or hate them as they did then as well.

Not to twist this thread, but did a video a few years back and I found it ( yes FOUND ) again because of a couple of questions and trends on one of my favorite face book sites. Point is this is a discussion of a design & manufacturing capability that went main stream in the 1970's, and was mature to the point more complex stuff could go from imagination to reality by the 1990's. And now it's taken for granted :) And video number two is an over view of Autotune & CST. NONE of which was available until 10 years ago. This also applies to Stihl's M-tronic which is the same technology. Might add a little insight to this " what has changed " conversation, might just be another way to put an insomniac to sleep..

Having played around in the Autotune / CST world now for a few years, I really appreciate the technology. And for a pro logger and a responsible dealer there are SO many ways to leverage this to help both parties. A team. For me? Nostalgia and the rooting for the underdog sets in and I much prefer my 48mm builds ... this week. :)

AND A follow on on how Autotune & CST works.

Is this newer high tech auto tune stuff any better?
Or have we seen the best chainsaws from v the 70's to 90's. It seems more complicated now than ever in today's saws

Back